Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to follow this tutorial, but am stuck. Hella horn install with relay and fuse.

I've gotten to the point where I can unconnect the old horn. Then I'm not clear what happens. I have a relay harness, I know where everything goes .....well except two things. 1. the new horn connections.....that activate the horn button and where exactly do those get connected.
2. On the positive battery terminal, does it matter which one of the connection I use?

Thank you for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Bobby,

That is the one I was following. I get stuck at where the connectors go for the horn button. It's not clear where the "stock wires to horn" are. Or do I cut the wires and splice them into the thingy in my first photo -which I might add looks like it terminates....I've not been able to separate it from itself, if that makes any sense?

Addendum: It may be that Poisidon explains iit in this 3rd paragraph under his diagram, but I still don't understand it.

"I connected the wire from the center stock horn to #86 . Relay post #86 was the part that was unclear to me. I kept trying to figure out how to splice directly into the wires from the horn button. I finally figured out that I just needed to use the stock horn wire from the horn itself. When that wire is activated by the horn button, it activates the aftermarket relay and horns."

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,210 Posts
@8lackie looking on the factory wiring diagram, you have 2 factory horns. The trigger is +12V, so you'd wire one side of the relay coil you're installing to ground & connect one of wires from the factory horn to the other relay coil. That completes the relay circuit, so when the horn button is pressed, the relay will operate. 😉

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: 8lackie

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,630 Posts
@8lackie -
When you run your positive wire from the battery terminal, make sure you have a fuse on it!
An inline fuse with a spade connector works well, and ideally you place it near the battery connection.
I picked up one wired in with a terminal lug already connected.
Since you need to route a wire around some sheet metal edges to power the horn, the fuse will blow if you get a short, rather than your wire melting or starting a fire.
It will also allow you to pull the fuse to stop the horn from sounding if the relay sticks on.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you hear me now?

I bought a harness from Amazon.
iJDMTOY (1) 12V Horn Wiring Harness Relay Kit For Car Truck Grille Mount Blast Tone Horns (Actual Horn Not Included)
which has a fuse built in (near the battery connection, as you recommended) What was throwing me was the connector for the horn, which looked like, what I now know to be a bullet connector and I needed to connect it to a female spade. I had to jerryrig a male connector to the bullet connector so I could plug in to the horn circuit.

I hooked up some HELLA 012010801 Blue Trumpet Horn Kit, 12 V, 400/500 Hz (Universal Fit). They're loud like a boss.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
18 Posts
@8lackie I bought the same connector and couldn’t get it to work. The red and black had those bullet connectors. Did you tie them together then into stock horn?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If memory serves (and often it doesn't) i attached some spade connectors to them?
Honestly I'm not sure i remember.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
338 Posts
When I did mine using the same harness I just plugged the connector taken off of the stock horn into the 12v+ for the harness to relay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts