Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a lot of information on this forum going over this but I haven't seen many photos or walkthrough of exactly how to fit these STi control arms on an SJ Forester so I winged it and took some photos along the way. This was done on a 2015 Forester XT.

I bought these 2016 STi lower control arms and bolts:
Left LCA: 20202VA010
Right LCA: 20202VA000
Longer bolts (x2): 901000377

These LCAs are a direct bolt on. Although if you've done some research you've probably heard of 2 plates that need to be modified since these control arms are a bit larger than the OEM ones. Also you need to use the longer STi bolt as well.
Bicycle part Tool Silver Wood Automotive exterior

Here is a comparison of the OEM and STi control arms
---------------------

The OEM bolt is a different style than the STi bolt. The OEM one is a double sided bolt and nut. Where the STi one is a normal bolt that will come up from the bottom of the bushing. You don't need the spacer that is used with the OEM bolt.
Cylinder Gas Nickel Auto part Metal

The top is the STi bolt and the bottom is the OEM bolt with spacer.
---------------------

The plates that need to be modified look like a heat shield or something similar. Probably protecting the bushing from the exhaust although I'm not 100% sure of that. You could probably just remove them but I decided to modify them.
Musical instrument Automotive tire Wood Gas Tire

This is the plate that gets in the way and needs to be cut or removed. It's held on by a single 17mm bolt.
---------------------
White Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Vehicle brake

And here is a shot from below, you can see how that plate bumps up against the new control arm.
---------------------
Road surface Motor vehicle Wall Asphalt Automotive exterior
Wood Road surface Asphalt Gas Concrete

. This is what the plate looks like and how I cut it. It probably doesn't need to be cut this large but like I said before... I was winging it.
---------------------
Bumper Automotive exterior Font Auto part Personal protective equipment

After cutting them and sanding down the edges I made sure to throw a coat of paint on them to prevent then from rusting.
---------------------
Food Wood Serveware Ingredient Metal

Here is a close up of how it fits now.
---------------------
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

And how the cut looks from behind. You can clearly see now that the clearance issue has been fixed.
---------------------

I can't comment on ride-ability yet because I snapped the ball joint bolt on the passenger side, so now I'm in the process of extracting that bolt. (n)

You will definitely need an alignment after this though. I had some significant positive camber after installing this control arm.

I hope this has been helpful. And let me know if you have any questions. I'll update this post when I finish the job and get an alignment done.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm actually not sure if these plates are heat shields... There really isn't anything on the passenger side that is close enough to warrant a heat shield.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
26 Posts
Great write up! Do share with us how it rides after you've done the alignment.

May i also know where did you buy these Sti arms? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@orixy getting the alignment done in the morning! I bought them directly from parts.Subaru.com.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write up! Do share with us how it rides after you've done the alignment.

May i also know where did you buy these Sti arms? Thanks
Rides great! I want to say it feels more responsive… that may just be because I know they’re STi parts lol. But all in all a very successful upgrade. Do make sure you’re close to an alignment shop when you do the repair because it was off a ton and was a bit scary driving it to the shop.

·
Registered
2006 WRX wagon 2009 FXT
160 Posts
very nice. I'm installing the same arms on my 09 FXT so I won't run into that plate issue.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice. I'm installing the same arms on my 09 FXT so I won't run into that plate issue.
Nice! I'm still not sure what these plates are for... I tried searching for this part through Subaru's website to see what they are and I couldn't find them in any of their diagrams. Definitely a nice upgrade and pretty straight forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts