Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to install a 19mm sway bar and I could not get the bolt on the endlinks off with 5mm allen key, it was a bit rusted and stripped even with a couple application of penetrating oil. Now it looks like I'll need to replace the endlinks as well. Does anyone have any tips for removing the endlinks from the lower control arm? Is that bolt very difficult to remove? Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Forester
130 Posts
It's a 14mm on both sides and should come off easy. On mine I had to loosen the nut/bolt for the strut as well (and vice versa) as they both pinch the control arm closed and trap the other one. Remember you want want to retorque both of those bolts with the vehicle at ride height.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see thanks, I've only been working on the vehicle on ramps, this should be fine right? And would you happen to know the torque for retightening?

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
345 Posts
If the 5mm Hex slot is not stripped, you might try to clean up all the penetrating oil afte, apply some valve grinding compound to the hex key tip, then tap it gently with a hammer to make sure the allen wrench is fuly fitted to minimize it from slipping which will strip the slot. If stripped, try using an equivalent torx wrench. Hopefully, you can still salvage the end links.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
280 Posts
Those Allen bolts stripped immediately for me, so I just decided to replace the end links. Lower bolts removed quite easily with an 18v Ryobi impact gun. If I hadn't had that handy, those bolts came of easily enough that I'm sure it would have been pretty easy with regular wrenches.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,141 Posts
On one difficult end link, I just used a cutoff wheel to cut the bolt off. The hex nut was badly corroded. I was replacing the end links anyway.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Allen bolts on both sides are stripped, I had it in there tight initially and now just turns freely with the key. Guess the bolt was too seized up even with penetrating oil. Was able to get new Moog endlinks for not much via Amazon so will try to replace them this weekend. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts