Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a 2015 forester with 150 km. Replaced rear brake rotors/pads at 90k. At 120km rear caliper seized and resulted in having to replace rear rotors/pads and calipers. Now at 150km one of the year old calipers seized when on a long road trip so now replacing rear rotors/pads and calipers. Never had to do any work on front. Any ideas what might cause this besides faulty calipers?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
Really depends on brand/quality of the calpers, road/salt conditions, condition of brake fluid. I have some calipers I bought from AutoZone the rust almost in a couple of months and I live in Dallas, TX. Ended up buying better quality calipers from Rock Auto.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were Subaru calipers. We do have lots of snow and salt. Might be a good idea to swap out brake fluid and brake lines?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
And clean and sil-glyde silicone brake grease the slide pins

Buy replacement bushings for the slide pins beforehand

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I've seen it once on an Acura where the rubber line seemed to act like a check valve; the fluid would go towards the caliper but not return properly so it would act like it had a seized caliper. Replaced the rubber lines and it was fine.
Not sure whether this failure is very common but I have heard it happened to others as well.

Open the bleeder valve and see whether that releases the caliper. Since you want to replace the caliper anyway, it is worth a shot.

Edit: It has been a while ago doing that^ repair so asked google and came up with this video that describes the condition.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
Some have mentioned the slide pins need greasing and that is a great suggestion. As the issue may not be caused by stuck pistons but just the slide pins need some grease.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
,,,Sil-glyde silicone brake grease.other synthetic petro greases swell the sc life pin bushings and seize the pin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts