Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced both rear bearings on my suburu forester 2015 with 53k miles 1000 miles after multi point inspection. I noticed gas mileage dropped about 10 miles per gallon and a whir riling noise, anyone else ever have this problem

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sadly, the wheel bearing issue is so common that there was another post on the same topic yesterday. I had 2 wheel bearings and one hub go bad before 85,000 miles on our 2014 Forester. Wheel bearings, head gaskets and a problem with not being able to get the key out seem to be common problems for that generation of Foresters.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
435 Posts
It’s not just Subaru’s... My (purchased new) Toyota Tacoma pickup, at 42,000 miles, required new rear wheel bearings, both left and right. Frankly, they probably should have been replaced at 35,000 miles, based on how much quieter the cab interior became once the bearings we replaced.

The heaviest thing I’ve ever transported in that vehicle is 20 bales of pine straw, so it’s not like it was ever overloaded... it’s used truly only as a “gentleman’s truck”.

I think much of this is due to manufacturers making every attempt to reduce friction, and smaller, lighter bearings with smaller contact surfaces are employed to do just that. Unfortunately, that method removes any “overkill” by having more bearing than is usually needed, thereby eliminating any wear margin.

While I haven’t done any research on this topic, I bet it wouldn’t be difficult to find these complaints on many brands/models trying to maximize MPG...

·
Registered
2015 Forester
9 Posts
I just replaced my left rear hub bearing. I found grease inside the rotor for the emergency brake and on one shoe. I think the bearing seals let the grease out and the bearings went bad due to poor lubrication. I cleaned it all up and completed the job. I am going to now pull the right side rotor and have a look to see how it looks. It is said if one is bad the other is not far behind, we'll see what I find.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
151 Posts
Wheel bearing failures are usually a combo of wear, impacts, and or lack of lubrification. Big potholes, curbing a wheel, big heavy wheels with low profile tires, driving through water, and particularly saltwater and slush are all bearing killers. And the other big cause of premature failure is bad installation, however, no mechanic will ever admit to that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With so many of us experiencing wheel bearing issues, is there any preventative measures we can take to reduce the probability of failure?

If so what and when?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
692 Posts
Not really any preventative, Subaru needs to upgrade these bearings on all four corners, been a problem for decades! Just noticed the other day that my front bearings I noticed are making a slight whirring while under steering input load, 62k miles. I'll wait til the get a little noisier probably.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Touring
13 Posts
I just sold my 2015 but I had a similar issue. Never been addressed by the service, no recalls either. I think one of the reasons I sold mine was noise problems in general.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
10 Posts
I've had to replace the front bearings yearly for the past 6 years, and every 2 years for the rear bearings. I'm getting to be an expert at it. I always used Timken until last fall when I went with a different brand, hoping they don't die as quickly on my crappy rural PA roads.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
511 Posts
I believe that improper torque specs are causing or adding to, wheel bearing issues.

If I replace anything on the wheels, I use a good torque wrench. I was having some front brake noise and it stopped when I used a torque wrench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts