Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW Golf Sportwagon DSG
231 Posts
I find this happens in s# but is find in I and S. If ya slow to take a turn IE: street doing like 70-80KM then have to take a left/right and then get back on the gas there is a major delay. which is weird because in S# it will gear its self down to 2nd, maybe if they made 1st a little taller as I find it will not drop to 1st unless you are at a complete stop, doesn't even seem to let you down shift with paddles past 2nd.

agree with whomever said wonder what the WRX is like. tempted to test drive a wrx to see how the CVT behaves compared to the fozz.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium CVT
10 Posts
Took my car in today and after a few hours they can't duplicate the lack of power so they don't know what needs to be fixed. The issue has been recorded so it will be fixed if it gets worse once out of warranty, but for now I'm stuck driving an XT with 13K miles that occasionally struggles to keep up with my NA 02 legacy with 230K miles. Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
2015 Forester cvt
4 Posts
Same problem

I have a 2015 2.5L with about 6500 miles. This same thing started happening a few months after we got it. Took it to the dealership, and the service guy said he had heard this "a lot", and very helpfully explained the problems of the CVT communicating with engine speed, etc. I thought I could get used to it, and it didn't happen that often, so decided to live with it.
In the past week,however, it's getting so bad that it's nearly caused two accidents at a 4 way stop and in a parking lot. The hesitation was 2-3 seconds, and when it took off the other guy was moving, thinking that I was waiting for him.
I have appt. with service dept. next week. This has become a safety issue, on top of being very irritating. My wife almost refuses to drive the car. If they can't come up with some softwear tweak, I'll keep taking it back, but I hope that anyone else with this problem makes it known. This should be a priority for Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium CVT
10 Posts
I took my 2015 2.0XT in yesterday so they could data log and figure out what is happening. This is the third time I've had the car in for this issue and yet again they do not know what is causing the issue.

First time in (13,281 miles) I drove the tech around to show him the problem, he said that's not right something is wrong. They did a software flash for P0606 Poor engine performance. Old CID was LF61500B new CID is LF61600B This was supposed to fix the issue, same thing happened three times on my drive home.

Second time in (13,492 miles) they decided they needed to data log to see what was happening. The tech couldn't get the car to duplicate the issue while data logging, they filed a case with SOA and that was that.

Third time in (13,952 miles) I drove the tech around to show him the problem, while we were driving I made a right hand turn and the car lost all power for ~5 seconds. He said yea that's not supposed to happen something is wrong. We went back and they started looking into it, the tech then took my car for a drive while data logging but he couldn't get the car to duplicate the issue. The only way he could duplicate it is if he went throttle to brake and back to throttle before the throttle fully closed (This is not what happens when I experience the issue, i'm off the brakes for a long time before getting back on the throttle). My service advisor came out and said SOA says we've been working on this for 3 hours and there isn't a CEL and there isn't a new software upgrade so there isn't anything we can do. They said it's probably a Brake Override system operation and hesitation, I am not going throttle to brakes then quickly back to throttle.

This is getting ridiculous, I'm filing a complaint with SOA and with NHTSA. I live in Colorado, lemon law applies if you bring a new car in 4 times for the same issue and they can't fix it. I really like the car when it works but absolutely hate it when it doesn't respond to the throttle.

Not to mention I've had it in 6 other times for rattles in the hatch and multi function display. I bought a brand new car so I didn't have to worry about things like this. I've had this XT for 6.5 months, it's been in the shop 10X my previous car (modded Mazdaspeed6 with 120K miles).

If you're experiencing this problem take it to the dealer and ask for the software flash, it won't help but the more people that complain the sooner they get their act together and write new software to fix the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
2 Posts
check RPMs

Maybe on an empty road or parking lot do a test. Push the gas pedal and while waiting those 3 seconds for it to go, watch the RPMs. If the engine RPM is increasing maybe it is the CVT. If the RPMs do not increase then maybe an electronic issue with throttle system.

With this info maybe it will help the dealer. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
33 Posts
I noticed that on my 14 FXT, while in Intelligent mode if I paddle the gears down and then up quickly, I can mash the gas pedal and nothing happens. I have to wait until the Return to DRIVE mode kicks back in before it responds. This is usually a couple seconds. This has been repeatable behavior on mine. If it's abnormal the this may be a way to show the dealership tech what's happening. If it's Normal then back to the drawing board!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
6 Posts
My 2015 XT with under 500 miles has been at the service department for almost two weeks now with a similar issue. Although I was lucky it only happened in my driveway and not in traffic. You guys say it would go again after a few seconds though, mine did not. The RPMs would rev up but the car would only roll an inch or two, had to have it towed.

I'm actually supposed to pick it up tomorrow, Subaru replaced the entire CVT. But now I'm a little terrified with all of these stories about it happening while driving and causing near accidents. I filed a complaint with Subaru of America and have been working with a 'regional rep' on the issue who swears this is the first issue like this she has seen. So please do file complaints with Subaru to make the issue known (I don't believe she hasn't heard of this before
anyways).

Excited to get my XT back tomorrow, I only got to enjoy it for a few days before it died, hopefully this is a permanent fix and not just a temporary 'guess work' fix.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
4 Posts
Well, I'll chime in here now since my 2017 Forester 2.5i with the CVT and Eyesight is also having this "hesitation' problem as mentioned by all. (Starting out near almost stopped, and just accelerating from a traffic light.) When I drive aggressively, it shifts right through "all the gears" as if it was a older automatic transmission. I now have 30,000 on it and it's been getting worse. I'll certainly bring it up to my service writer but from what I've seen here, don't look like I'll get anywhere...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
691 Posts
I've noticed this hesitation in my 2015, especially when it's not up to full operating temperature, very annoying and can be safety issue when acceleration is needed! Even when warmed up to operating temperature it's still noticeable sometimes, I'll try to pay more attention and see exactly when and what I did just before the hesitation. As mentioned, mine also waits like 3-4 seconds between shifting D and R (and vice versa) to engage and actually move, wth?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
691 Posts
Nobody got this fixed yet? Super annoying, dealer said they don't notice it...ya right. It's worse when the engine is not up to operating temperature, step on gas from stop sign or stop light, engine rpms do nothing, flooring the gas seems to make it hesitate even more, then after literally several seconds it will start to accelerate, unacceptable.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru CVT
10 Posts
Happened again this morning. 2 times on the way to work. Once before car was fully warmed up but it was running for a few minutes before I started to drive. Taking off from stop sign and nothing. Then while the car was at full operating temperature while merging onto the highway the car was accelerating and before I could get out of the on-ramp it did it again, had to pull into shoulder to avoid potential accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am thinking about getting a 2017 Forester xt. However the not accelerating problem really does concerns me. Would you guys recommend to avoid getting this car?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru CVT
10 Posts
After seeing someone posting about having the brake switch recall done then bringing it back in for an "adjustment" then no longer having issues, I brought my car back to the dealer yesterday and told them my issues. I said I read on the forum's that someone's brake switch needed adjusting. He made me authorize 1 hour diagnostics at $145. I ok'd the 1 hour, and he called me back saying that it was a defective brake switch which was replaced less than a year ago so its under warranty, therefore he will be billing Subaru directly and no charge to me. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not this has fixed my issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Schmidtty Any luck?

I use my 2018 Subaru Forester to deliver the mail on a rural route, so I realize that it is used in a completely different way than most cars. However, I have experienced the same issue with the extended lull in acceleration about 5 times in the 10 months I've been driving this vehicle. I drive the same exact 90 miles six days a week. It has happened at the 45 mile mark and the 80 mile mark, so the engine is definitely warm. It has happened in mild 50 degree F temps and in cold 20 degree F temps. It always happens when I am pulling away from a mailbox and trying to get back onto the road. The REALLY weird thing is, it has happened twice at the same mailbox (out of 450 mailboxes!) and again today about 100 feet away from that box at a house just up the road. So that is three times at the 45 mile mark of my route. The ground is relatively level- nothing really notable about the shoulder where the mailbox is. This is probably a crazy idea, but my husband was wondering if there is a wireless device somewhere in the houses that is disrupting a sensor in the car. Just a thought we were tossing around as we try to figure this out. It's not a big deal when it happens on a quiet road, but when I try to pull out onto US Route 1 with all the trucks, it's no bueno. Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it happened again while attempting to pull away from a mailbox yesterday at the 47 mile mark on my mail route. That's three times within a week. It's never happened that often in such a short amount of time. Hmmm...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts