Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me twice on my 2015 in the last 3 weeks. I was in a mall lot, slowed to about 5 mph, then pushed on the gas and nothing for a few seconds and then it went. Would be the same feeling as if I turned off the ignition and hit the gas. The car didn't stall, just nothing when giving it gas until a few seconds. The dealer says he never heard of it. I only have 620 miles on it. The first time I thought maybe I have to get use to the CVT tranny and maybe I just didn't give it enough gas, but this time I know I did.
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
582 Posts
Mine does that with no seeming pattern. I have learned to brake and throttle it up for a few seconds at the same time, dragster style, when I am doing a merge into a tight spot. My wife's newish Camry also does the same thing.

Scary this first time you pull out and the car shuts off for several seconds. The car coming up behind you must take action to avoid you since you are almost stopped in front of them. It is always on my mind now when I merge.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@GeoJosh No, no eyesight

Mine does that with no seeming pattern. I have learned to brake and throttle it up for a few seconds at the same time, dragster style, when I am doing a merge into a tight spot. My wife's newish Camry also does the same thing.

Scary this first time you pull out and the car shuts off for several seconds. The car coming up behind you must take action to avoid you since you are almost stopped in front of them. It is always on my mind now when I merge.

Did you ever bring it to the dealers attention ? If so, did they give you an answer ?
You are right, its scary

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
999 Posts
Very dangerous condition

A car this new most likely has something very basic wrong with it. Check to see it the battery terminals are tightly connected and there are no vacuum leaks in the ducting going to the intake manifold. On board diagnostics can detect many sensor faults, however, the very basic should be check first by a mechanic.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has happened to me twice on my 2015 in the last 3 weeks. I was in a mall lot, slowed to about 5 mph, then pushed on the gas and nothing for a few seconds and then it went. Would be the same feeling as if I turned off the ignition and hit the gas. The car didndt stall, just nothing when giving it gas until a few seconds. The dealer says that they didn't find anything, and would have to have it happen while it was there. I only have 620 miles on it. The first time I thought maybe I have to get use to the CVT tranny and maybe I just didnt give it enough gas, but this time I know I did.
Any thoughts ?
Has now happened on four occasions so far and I only have 785 miles on the car.
Mine seems to do it when I am trying to acclerate from a roll of about 5mph. I hit the gas and nothing, like it ran of out gas and then after a couple of seconds, it takes off,
The last time it did it, I was crossing a lane of oncoming traffic, nothing when I hit the gas so I put the pedal to the floor and after a second or two of nothing, it took off real fast. Almost got T-boned
Anyway, my dealer said he never heard of it happening and there are no service bulletins
Real dangerous. Do I have any recourse with the dealer or Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,318 Posts
Mine does not do that. In fact, the throttle response is instantaneous when I press the accelerator. There's definitely something wrong with your car, and it's obviously a safety hazard. The dealer should not be blowing you off by saying they've never heard of the problem ... could be they've never heard of it, but they could do a little diagnostic to find out what the problem is. I assume you don't have that problem with other cars you drive.

I have some minor stumbling on my Corvette, but it only lasts a fraction of a second (shouldn't happen, but I live with it since the dealer has no idea, nor does GM ... it's a common problem).

But the only small irritant I have with my Subaru or the CVT is that it takes a second or two to change when I go from R to D, or vice versa.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
582 Posts
Did you ever bring it to the dealers attention ? If so, did they give you an answer ?
You are right, its scary
No, some day when I feel like spending a half day or more, but my power braking work around makes it tolerable. It's much less dangerous then my fuel injected HD VRod, which would occasionally stall at low speed. If you we not ready to grab the clutch lever and get a foot down, you & 650 lbs of bike were going over.

·
Subassador
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT!!!
929 Posts
My '14 XT is at the dealer right now for the same issue.

The first time I left it with them, they couldn't duplicate it, but I've had it happen a few times in the exact same stretch of road on my way to work.

In my case, each time it happened, it was after accelerating with a fairly aggressive throttle followed by a complete or near-complete stop (<5 mph). I'm breaking because there's a red light. When the light turns green, I give it gas, and nothing happens. No stall, no slipping, nothing. It was as if I was just sitting there idling. After about 3 seconds, it begins accelerating as if nothing was wrong.

Not good.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
351 Posts
My '14 XT is at the dealer right now for the same issue.

The first time I left it with them, they couldn't duplicate it, but I've had it happen a few times in the exact same stretch of road on my way to work.

In my case, each time it happened, it was after accelerating with a fairly aggressive throttle followed by a complete or near-complete stop (<5 mph). I'm breaking because there's a red light. When the light turns green, I give it gas, and nothing happens. No stall, no slipping, nothing. It was as if I was just sitting there idling. After about 3 seconds, it begins accelerating as if nothing was wrong.

Not good.
no way, the same 3 seconds it takes for the CVT to change drive. I think we're onto something here...lol

·
Subassador
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT!!!
929 Posts
no way, the same 3 seconds it takes for the CVT to change drive. I think we're onto something here...lol
Oh c'mon - my CVT only takes 2.5 seconds to go into gear!

Subaru should have added a light on the dash that flashes red indicating, "CVT isn't ready yet. Please wait."

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
351 Posts
Oh c'mon - my CVT only takes 2.5 seconds to go into gear!

Subaru should have added a light on the dash that flashes red indicating, "CVT isn't ready yet. Please wait."
what's funny is that if you let go of the brake before you wait the full 3 seconds, it stumbles all by itself lol

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium CVT
10 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 15 FXT with 13K miles. It happened a few times at lower mileage but it has been happening a lot over the past 3 weeks. I'll slow down going into a corner and then get on it as I come out and there is zero response from the car for 3-5 seconds. The pedal will be on the floor with no response, after a while it will down shift and hold on to the higher RPM for a while.

I took it in yesterday and they (Heuberger Motors, Co Springs) did a software update that was supposed to fix it. I was getting on the interstate after picking it up and sure as **** it's still not fixed. When I get home I'll add the software version #'s to my post for reference.

TL;DR Occasionally my car is extremely unresponsive, took it to the dealer for software upgrade but it didn't fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
wow, some of these shared instances are scary. is it def mult seconds?...and not just a fraction of a second. that would get me in quite the debockle on some sketchy SE PA commutes!

hopefully all related and something simple for you guys/gals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my experiences I'll have the pedal completely floored and the car doesn't respond at all for 3-5 seconds, if anything it begins to slow down because the car acts like my foot has been taken off the pedal.

Worst part is they won't give me a loaner car. If this isn't a safety issue I don't know what qualifies.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,318 Posts
Sounds like it's about time to take the issue up with Subaru of America. And possibly even file a report with the National Transportation Safety Board (can be done online, I think). What you guys are describing is extremely dangerous and Subaru needs to take care of it post haste. Please don't let the dealers blow you off with excuses. It can either be fixed or not; if not, they should give you a new car. You might even want to start lemon law proceedings, which I think in most states means three trips to the dealer with the problem unresolved.

Start off with honey, then switch to vinegar if necessary. You certainly should not be forced into a drag racing scenario, with your left foot holding the brake until it decided to accelerate. Besides, left foot braking is dangerous in and of itself (brake lights on while you're accelerating).

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
In my '14 CVT, I noticed this issue but on a lesser scale. The car did not like slowing down to say 15-20 at a coast, and then get going again. It was as if the engine/CVT was unresponsive with the gas pedal. I traded to a '15 Premium in March and on the '15 it is not as bad. I am guessing this being caused by the ECM or CVT computer talking to each other about optimum gas mileage.
07-01-15 UPDATE: The 2015 acts pretty much the same way, especially when cornering in a wide turn without having to stop first. After getting off the brake to make the turn safely, giving it the gas, it responds pretty slowly. From complete stop, I have not had any issues I can speak of. But slowing down, as above the response is the same. And the car does act like it is in too high of a gear sometimes while doing a slow acceleration, bucking like the old days driving a manual trans and shifting to a higher gear too soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just heard from my service advisor and I'm going to bring the foz back for a day so they can start data logging and figure out what's causing it. I've been told the software update they did is the only performance software update available.

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Avenger
16 Posts
file a report with the National Transportation Safety Board (can be done online, I think).
X2.
Absolutely file a complaint with NHTSA. Even if this is a problem that affects a small number of vehicles, it's a dangerous condition and must be addressed. Here is the link to NHTSA complaints page.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
It only take a couple of minutes to fill it in.

If several people report similar issues, Subaru won't be able to ignore it because of the potential liability cost. If somebody dies after the issue has been reported to NHTSA, they are on the hook for a lot of money.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts