Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year I had a Subaru dealer do a 96k service on my 2015 FXT which included an oil + filter change. Usually I do these myself but since it was in I had them do it. I recently did another change and pulled ~7-7.5 quarts of oil from the engine, way above the 5.4qt specified in the manual!

I've complained to the dealer, but is there anything I should look out for or any potential issues this could have caused with all the driving done on the engine with that much oil in it?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,318 Posts
1. Make sure they note it on your file. In case you have warranty disputes later on.
2. How long (miles) have you driven with the 6.7L vs 5.1L ?

If something was going to happen it already would have happened....But then it's hard to say if any damaged was done.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
557 Posts
Earlier this year I had a Subaru dealer do a 96k service on my 2015 FXT which included an oil + filter change. Usually I do these myself but since it was in I had them do it. I recently did another change and pulled ~7-7.5 quarts of oil from the engine, way above the 5.4qt specified in the manual!

I've complained to the dealer, but is there anything I should look out for or any potential issues this could have caused with all the driving done on the engine with that much oil in it?
So for the whole oil change interval, you never checked the dipstick and saw it was over ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I noticed while driving was the engine maybe was a bit more sluggish in acceleration.

So for the whole oil change interval, you never checked the dipstick and saw it was over ?
Put my trust in the dealership, now I know the hard way, trust but verify

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
557 Posts
You should assume you don’t need to check the oil when you pick it up when being serviced, but to go a full OCI without looking at the dipstick, and I assume without checking your other fluids, is putting a lot of faith in the low oil level sensor and light

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,923 Posts
Put my trust in the dealership, now I know the hard way, trust but verify
lesson learned. Don't feel bad. We all learn the hard way sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks, lesson learned and no apparent damages (at least yet)!

I did check the stick but my drive is sloped, I had thought the high indication may have been because of that and then forgot about it...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,923 Posts
That is possible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts