Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT <Overland Style <Transformation in progress
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those that are looking at doing a dual battery setup and on board air here is what I did in my 15xt.

* its not fully finished yet. Will make it more a bit more professional looking. *

Parts used:
  • Redarc Bcdc1225D
  • Redarc 40amp fuse kit
  • 100 Ah, AGM, Group 27, Battery
  • Viair medium duty onboard air system
  • Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Block
I went with the Redarc Dc to dc charger because of its capabilities and that its solar ready. The forester has a "smart" alternator so you cant just do the solenoid style dual battery setup you need something that is capable of dealing with these types of alternators.

I went with the Viair Medium duty because I don't really need anything more heavy duty than what it offers. If im out on a trail ill deflate the tires a bit for better traction and reinflate them when i go hit the highway. With the Air tank i did have to buy swivel fittings to get it to fit into the spare tire compartment.

Basically I did my reasearch found what i wanted/ needed and bought everything i thought id need to install it.... I had no idea where I was going to install it. Only thing I knew was the battery was going in the trunk area of the cabin lol. I had a few rough ideas but liked the thought of putting it in the spare tire location the best due to ease of access for maintenance and Canadian winters.

the way i ended up installing it is with minimal modifications to the actual vehicle. The entire piece of wood comes out with everything attached to it. I used the threaded hole that holds your spare in place to hold the plywood in place.

Other than small mods to the foam, I did mount the switch and gauge for the air in the rear drivers side panel and a small indicator light into the dash that lets you know the status of the dual battery charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the obvious question is - where do you keep your spare?
My spare is current in my shed lol.
I'm not going to be driving it much for a few months due to being away on work. But
For right now I'm carrying a tire repair kit. And I have the compressor. So if I get a flat I could possibly repair it. Unless something really stupid happens.

I'm also working with a buddy on making a rear bumper with a swing out spare tire carrier.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
587 Posts
What led you to select the Redarc product? I wasn't aware of them, but see they are Australia-based and began US distribution in 2019.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What led you to select the Redarc product? I wasn't aware of them, but see they are Australia-based and began US distribution in 2019.
To be honest I have no idea how I happened upon them. But they seem to be an awesome product so far!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice set-up. Is there a voltage meter connected for the 2nd battery?
None yet. I'm looking at the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. Bit pricey but the reviews are great. Plus it has Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
587 Posts
I used the BMV-712 in a camper van. No problems. If relying on it for state-of-charge, make sure you recalibrate periodically. Nothing wrong with the unit; the nature of measurement has unavoidable drift.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
86 Posts
@SubiesAndBoobies Nice setup! Have you thought about running a line out of the spare area and somewhere behind the bumper so you don’t have to empty out the trunk should you need to us it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@steve_k Yes. I'm collaborating with a buddy of mine to make a custom rear bumper with a swing out spare tire carrier and ill be making a hidden spot for it in the bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like your setup. I choose the Toyota repair kit including a very nice and accurate compressor/deflator. With my 215/60/16 tires I’m not afraid of draining the battery. Use the 12V outlet in the dash and trunk.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
86 Posts
@steve_k Yes. I'm collaborating with a buddy of mine to make a custom rear bumper with a swing out spare tire carrier and ill be making a hidden spot for it in the bumper.
Very cool idea! Just another tid bit I’ll share. Ages ago I had friends making tube bumpers for their trucks and they would put fair fittings in the morning so they could be pressurized. Was helpful for topping up tires after off-roading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts