Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2015 Forester Salvaged with 49995 miles on the odometer. No warranty from Subaru due to Salavaged title. Any alternative oils suggested to reduce consumption? I’ve been using Mobil 1 high mileage 0-20 wt. still blowing through about a qt. In 1500 miles. Help!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 5MT
23 Posts
Depends on where the oil is going. If the engine is burning it a heavier oil like 0W30 or 5W30 might help slightly. Sometimes it leaks from the cam covers, but only when the engine is running so you don’t get the tell-tale oil spots on your driveway, it just seems to magically disappear. If it’s leaking a good solution is Liqui Moly Oil Additiv (Motor Oil Saver), this stuff is amazing for leaky gaskets.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
Bought my 2015 Forester Salvaged with 49995 miles ...
I’ve been using Mobil 1 high mileage 0-20 wt. still blowing through about a qt. In 1500 miles. Help!
a low mileage Subie, nice.

Suggest getting an owners manual through dealer, EBay or wherever, if your car doesn't have one.
Using any brand of oil will be OK, but suggest sticking to one of the viscosity ranges mentioned in the owners manual.

I've not found changing oil brands to change oil consumption, but others have, so you'll have to experiment. If you find one oil is better, or find several have similar oil consumption, post it up. In high mileage old cars I've found switching conventional oil to synthetic has twice lead to rapid leaks, but that's not your situation. Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts