Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT-P CVT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my Fozzy with the OEM trailer hitch. Just got a Küat Sherpa off ebay. It is compatible with 1.25" and 2" hitches. The rack uses a screw that wedges a ball tightly against the inside walls of the hitch to provide a tight fit. The only part that bothers me about the whole setup is how little of the stinger actually goes into the hitch itself due to the hitch's pin hole being so far aft. I think I saw somebody else drilled a hole farther forward and I have considered doing the same, but we'll see how this works for a while. The rack seems pretty solid and looks good on the car I think. I haven't put any bikes on it yet, but supposedly the rack tilts away from the car enough that the rear gate can still be opened with the bikes installed. I'll have to try that eventually. Anyway, here's a few pics of the rack installed.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,097 Posts
I have the Kuat rack with a Curt Hitch, and it is a bit deeper than the factory version. I suspect that the pin will keep your rack on just fine, though.

For me, I needed to get an extension so that I could mount the inner bike a bit farther away from the car, although it did not hit the window if it was my road bike. With the extension, the rack can tilt down and you can open the rear hatch bikes still on.

The Kuat is a great bike rack.

Luck,

EJ

·
Registered
2014 2.5i manual
79 Posts
Copperhead,

I have the same oem hitch and kuat rack but I purchased a separate 1/2" ss locking pin from amazon.

I don't trust that kuat pin bc of what you said, only the rack's cam-anti wobble device is keeping it tight as opposed to a tighter fit with an appropriately sized receiver pin.
Also being long and thin, it looks vulnerable to being cut/snipped. I say get a different pin.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i manual
79 Posts
As far as drilling new holes and such, I wouldn't bother. I carry two mountain bikes with 780-800mm bars and with the rack in the tilted down position, it clears the hatch just fine. Enjoy the rack, time to ride!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
649 Posts
Do you guys ever get in trouble for blocking your plates with those? I could see people purposely getting racks and such just to cover plates and avoid radar tickets

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Copperhead,

I have the same oem hitch and kuat rack but I purchased a separate 1/2" ss locking pin from amazon.

I don't trust that kuat pin bc of what you said, only the rack's cam-anti wobble device is keeping it tight as opposed to a tighter fit with an appropriately sized receiver pin.
Also being long and thin, it looks vulnerable to being cut/snipped. I say get a different pin.
I'll take a look at different pins. I agree that the stock one is long/skinny and looks easy to cut. Of course, if you want to steal the rack, there's really not a lot stopping somebody from doing so. I kind of like the fact that I can use the Kuat pin with the locking cable, but I don't see myself leaving my any of my nice bikes on the rack unattended for long periods even with the cable lock. Will other locking pins work well with the cable?

I'm hoping to take a trip to Williamsburg, VA next week to hit the trails. I haven't ridden real single track since I lived in Kansas City last year. Virginia Beach has to be the worst cycling scene I've ever encountered. I've gone from good Cat 3 on the road/Cat 2 on the mtn bike to riding once or twice a week and fearing for my life every time I do. Next month I'm hoping to do a camping/biking trip to Roanoke. I'm sure the rack will serve me well on both trips.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
You guys probably don't have a problem with tourists, but we do here in Durango. I've seen at least 3 incidents so far where a tourist from another state either parallel parks and smashes into someones bike carrier, destroying their bikes, or gets rear ended into their bike carriers.

Around here, it is not uncommon to see 2 or 3 bikes being carried around that retail for more than the car that is carrying them (myself included). I carry 2 bikes on my roof, and together they're worth more than my car. So on the roof they go........away from Tourists. lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys probably don't have a problem with tourists, but we do here in Durango. I've seen at least 3 incidents so far where a tourist from another state either parallel parks and smashes into someones bike carrier, destroying their bikes, or gets rear ended into their bike carriers.

Around here, it is not uncommon to see 2 or 3 bikes being carried around that retail for more than the car that is carrying them (myself included). I carry 2 bikes on my roof, and together they're worth more than my car. So on the roof they go........away from Tourists. lol.
Ha, we have an *** load of tourists here. I was rear ended 2 weeks after I moved here by a local though. The drivers in this area are really awful in general and the low speed limits on the highways just exacerbate the problem. I lived in Farmington, NM for a while and made it up to Durango a couple times. I only got to ride my road bike there once and unfortunately wasn't really that into mtn biking at the time. Durango is an awesome place to live if you love the outdoors.

·
Registered
05 05LGT|14FXT|06S2k
181 Posts
Here's my Sherpa.

I had a problem with the sliding part that allows the rack to tilt back.. some big washers and a new cotter pin fixed that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my Sherpa.

I had a problem with the sliding part that allows the rack to tilt back.. some big washers and a new cotter pin fixed that.
Looks good. Mine doesn't tilt very easily, but I prefer it to be a little stiff like that so it doesn't tilt back and thump at the bottom when I pull the pin.

I had that whole sentence worded differently, but it sounded too dirty.

·
Registered
05 05LGT|14FXT|06S2k
181 Posts
Yeah.. the problem occured when the rack was fully loaded (my 34 lb Knolly Endorphin and Wifey's Santa Cruz Superlight) on there prevented the sliding mechanism to operate. The cam on the yellow handle that pulls the connecting rod out so the rack tilts wasn't working.

We were careful to support the loaded rack when the pin was pulled, but it wasn't helping the pulling action any.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Threw a couple bikes on real quick to check out the clearance. The 29er is being used mostly as a beach cruiser at the moment so I have platforms on it. That's probably about as wide as it's gonna get as far as pedals go and there is plenty of clearance with the rack tilted down. I just realized this should probably go in the Utility forum, but it's also related to the hitch/towing. I dunno.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
56 Posts
Do you guys ever get in trouble for blocking your plates with those? I could see people purposely getting racks and such just to cover plates and avoid radar tickets
Camera tickets (pretty sure that's what you meant, reional difference) are illegal and/or easy to fight most places here in the states. It violates our constitutional right to face our accuser, as our accuser is a machine with no consciousness.

I've never heard of any of my friends getting hassled for their hitch carrier--they are super common. My boss leaves his on 24/7.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,097 Posts
I haven't, but I remove my rack between rides. When the bike is on the rack it does block the plate but no LEO has complained, so far, and I don't get red light camera tickets.

EJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I drive through the bridge tunnels here in the NOVA area (don't ever move here if you have the choice, what a hell hole) and I think maybe the rack has prevented me from getting billed for it so far. I just got my no-drill front license plate bracket and installed it so from now on I'll probably get charged to drive through the stupid things, but so far that's been a bonus in my opinion. I don't think the cameras in the tunnels can clearly make out my plate.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
586 Posts
Towing a boat with the tie down strap ends waving across the trailer plate can have the same effect.

I was under the impression that "NOVA" was northern VA in the DC area.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Towing a boat with the tie down strap ends waving across the trailer plate can have the same effect.

I was under the impression that "NOVA" was northern VA in the DC area.
I have no idea what NOVA means I guess and I'm probably using it wrong. I assumed it was the Norfolk Virginia area, but either way, it is an undesirable place to live. I'm planning on quitting my job and starting over somewhere else because the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area is so horrible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it is honestly pretty horrible backing up with the rack on. If it's folded up, it's really bad. If it's folded down, it's still pretty bad. My girlfriend has a really hard time with it. I wish the backup cam was mounted higher on the rear gate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts