Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I've got a 15 XT with eyesight. Recently upgraded to a Pioneer android auto unit. After install, my multi function display added a new screen which showed audio information from the head unit. The factory unit did not do this.

Anyways, after about 4 months no issues I got the dreaded "Please check audio system " message on the display. I just did a reset of the display by pulling the fuse. The warning is now gone, but audio information does not display.

Anyways to get this information back ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
Oddly, my 2014 Forester (stock Clarion head unit, no navigation or touchscreen) has always shown the audio information on one of the screens of the MFD - cycling through the screens. I do not know if there is a setting in the MFD menus to show or hide that information.

When cycling through the MFD screens, do you have a blank page between the clock and "information bar" screens? From my 2014 manual - this is the order of the screens -

Basic screens
These are the basic screens of the multifunction display.
ItemPage
Information bar3-40
Fuel consumption screen3-41
ECO gauge screen3-41
ECO history screen3-42
Vehicle activation status screen3-42
EyeSight screen (models with the EyeSight system)3-43
Triple meter screen3-44
Guidance Screen3-44
Clock/Calendar screen3-45
Audio screen (if equipped)3-45

So try using the up/down arrows and scroll through...? I do not see anything specifically listed to turn the audio display function on or off.

If you're not getting ANY display, pull the "SET/I" button for a few seconds and it should turn the MFD back on. There is a setting in the process to turn the MFD on or off.
Restoring the screen When the “UP”, “DOWN” or “ I/SET” switch is pulled toward you after the ignition switch is turned to the “ON” position, the screen will be restored. The screen will be restored with the basic screen that was displayed when the screen was turned off. While the screen is off, a warning message will be displayed if necessary, but other screens will not be displayed.

Maybe even just try turning off and on the screen and seeing what happens? That setting is on the DISPLAY menu.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly, my 2014 Forester (stock Clarion head unit, no navigation or touchscreen) has always shown the audio information on one of the screens of the MFD - cycling through the screens. I do not know if there is a setting in the MFD menus to show or hide that information.

When cycling through the MFD screens, do you have a blank page between the clock and "information bar" screens? From my 2014 manual - this is the order of the screens -

Basic screens
These are the basic screens of the multifunction display.
ItemPage
Information bar3-40
Fuel consumption screen3-41
ECO gauge screen3-41
ECO history screen3-42
Vehicle activation status screen3-42
EyeSight screen (models with the EyeSight system)3-43
Triple meter screen3-44
Guidance Screen3-44
Clock/Calendar screen3-45
Audio screen (if equipped)3-45

So try using the up/down arrows and scroll through...? I do not see anything specifically listed to turn the audio display function on or off.

If you're not getting ANY display, pull the "SET/I" button for a few seconds and it should turn the MFD back on. There is a setting in the process to turn the MFD on or off.
Restoring the screen When the “UP”, “DOWN” or “ I/SET” switch is pulled toward you after the ignition switch is turned to the “ON” position, the screen will be restored. The screen will be restored with the basic screen that was displayed when the screen was turned off. While the screen is off, a warning message will be displayed if necessary, but other screens will not be displayed.

Maybe even just try turning off and on the screen and seeing what happens? That setting is on the DISPLAY menu.
Good info
When I cycle the screens, I don't even see a blank screen where the audio info was before, no options in setting either. Turning the screen off and on didn't do anything.
I'm trying to figure out what triggers that screen to become available or if it's a certain data cable from the head unit.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
Hi - yes it is a certain connection that provides that information to the MFD - just not sure if it's in one of the wiring harnesses and connectors or a unique and separate cable/wire.

Another question - is there a way to program this on the head unit? Is there a settings menu? It may be that when you pulled the fuse, it may have "flipped a switch" on the Pioneer unit...

OK... One more - what Pioneer unit did you go with and are you able to use the USB and AUX plugs in the center console for audio and/or android functions or did they become useless and the USB input is someplace else in your center console/center stack?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi - yes it is a certain connection that provides that information to the MFD - just not sure if it's in one of the wiring harnesses and connectors or a unique and separate cable/wire.

Another question - is there a way to program this on the head unit? Is there a settings menu? It may be that when you pulled the fuse, it may have "flipped a switch" on the Pioneer unit...

OK... One more - what Pioneer unit did you go with and are you able to use the USB and AUX plugs in the center console for audio and/or android functions or did they become useless and the USB input is someplace else in your center console/center stack?
Pioneer DMH-2660NEX
Using the maestro system.

I checked the wiring, nothing is loose

I disconnected the usb and had to route my own in the cubby area

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
Interesting. For five years I had audio info available on the MFD with the stock Clarion in my 2015 2.5i. When I replaced the Clarion with a new Sony, that screen went away entirely. Not that it’s needed any more.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
40 Posts
The Maestro translates the data from the Pioneer head unit to the MFD, there should be a red connector on the T-harness that plugs into another adapter that goes into the back of the MFD's 8-pin connector for the reverse camera signal and audio data lines. Check that none of those came loose (note that there is another red connector on the OBD cable with just 1 TX wire that should not be used), if the wiring is good you may need to re-flash the Maestro

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, the mfd started acting up again over the weekend. I may look on ebay for another one to see if it's the display. Will the mfd from the 17/18 foresters with eyesight work on my 2015? If I'm swapping I want the newer graphics.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
I'm thinking that no, the newer MFD would not work in your 2015. The reason is because in the 2017 update, the center stack was redone with the new touchscreen head units and the back up camera was moved to the head unit from the MFD - so the connectors may not be the same and you would - theoretically - lose the back up camera function UNLESS it can be fed to the new Pioneer unit.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
40 Posts
I cannot say for sure about placing a 17/18 MFD in a 14-16 Forester, however I have plugged a 14-16 MFD into my '18 Forester and it does work with the same connectors, it even started showing audio info when I temporarily connected the Maestro RR 8-pin adapter and red connector to it. Both MFDs have identical 10-pin and 8-pin connectors, and all SJ Foresters except early base models with the B/W display have identical 10-pin mating plugs (just routing to different locations for the selection switch). I don't have Eyesight and neither did either MFD so I cannot confirm that particular screen.

For those equipped with touchscreen head units, the 8-pin input will normally have nothing connected, but was otherwise still functional on both MFDs. The reverse display is triggered by CANbus so if the MFD detects a composite video source, it automatically displays the image. I ended up using the Maestro 8-pin adapter "backwards" to send my dash camera video out to the 17/18 MFD input as a visual confirmation that it is working before driving off, so it should still work with your backup camera. I remember accessing the 'hidden' menu to disable the guide lines and set up shift link so the image keeps displaying after shifting back to 1st/Drive for a few seconds, there might be an option to completely disable the input in there but cannot recall for sure.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot say for sure about placing a 17/18 MFD in a 14-16 Forester, however I have plugged a 14-16 MFD into my '18 Forester and it does work with the same connectors, it even started showing audio info when I temporarily connected the Maestro RR 8-pin adapter and red connector to it. Both MFDs have identical 10-pin and 8-pin connectors, and all SJ Foresters except early base models with the B/W display have identical 10-pin mating plugs (just routing to different locations for the selection switch). I don't have Eyesight and neither did either MFD so I cannot confirm that particular screen.

For those equipped with touchscreen head units, the 8-pin input will normally have nothing connected, but was otherwise still functional on both MFDs. The reverse display is triggered by CANbus so if the MFD detects a composite video source, it automatically displays the image. I ended up using the Maestro 8-pin adapter "backwards" to send my dash camera video out to the 17/18 MFD input as a visual confirmation that it is working before driving off, so it should still work with your backup camera. I remember accessing the 'hidden' menu to disable the guide lines and set up shift link so the image keeps displaying after shifting back to 1st/Drive for a few seconds, there might be an option to completely disable the input in there but cannot recall for sure.
Good info. My back up camera currently goes to the MFD from stock. However with the pioneer unit, I used the Maestro adapter to duplicate the image onto the head unit. So I guess though it sounds like the connectors are the same?

How do I find the part no for the 16-18 mfds.?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
I'd suggest an online parts resource like subaruparts.com (or whatever that supporting vendor is called). Maybe it's subarupartspro.com and/or subarupartsonline.com - same company different websites.

One other thing to consider - the 2014-2016 unit is controlled by the switch on the steering wheel - the 2017/2018 is controlled by a switch in the center stack, just by the hazard on/off switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts