Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,
My wife has a 2015 with about 40k. It is out of warranty as far as I can tell.

The other day I got in it to drive if for first time in quite a while and I noticed MPG was showing 36 average based on "trip a" of about 600 miles, much of which I know was city and short trips.

I had about 60 miles to go in the highway so i reset trip odo. Indicated mpg on my trip over 60 miles highway was 52 mpg.

This is obviously wrong.

Is there a TSB or known issue (lets hope minor or covered out of warranty) known component failure that causes this?

Is there some kind of deep harry potter sequence of button pushes that can hard reset this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester
248 Posts
mpg usually runs off of the abs, fuel pump pulses and rpms, if you over inflate tires, use different sized tires or drive 45 to 50 mph steady it can be very high mpg m probably not 52 mpg , i get between 25 to 32 around town and 35 to 40 on hiway, driving modestly,. mpg can rise or fall dramatically depends on idle time, coasting down hill or long stretches

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mpg usually runs off of the abs, fuel pump pulses and rpms, if you over inflate tires, use different sized tires or drive 45 to 50 mph steady it can be very high mpg m probably not 52 mpg , i get between 25 to 32 around town and 35 to 40 on hiway, driving modestly,. mpg can rise or fall dramatically depends on idle time, coasting down hill or long stretches
This has nothing to do with the variables you are mentioning. I am not asking about variables whihc affect MPG which I well know, I am asking about the obvious malfunction in this car's MPG reporting specifically I am asking if there is a TSB or known failure of fuel flow sensor or mpg computing module or fault that occur in computer module that can or cannot be reset.

This is obviously and instrumentation error from a hardware or firmware fault, not an actual change in MPG.

thanks byt you don't have access to TSBs, know something about failures in fuel flow sensors or know the MPG computing/display hard/factory reset sequence this isn't really a question for you.

this car is stock, factory tires with 50% wear, as typical +2 tire pressure over door jamb, and hs gotten the exact average, of about 32 mpog cruise control at 65 mpg.

I would not be sticking on huge tires, and rolling down a mountain and then posing a question here about TSBs or asking about known issue on MPG display errors and if anyone knows the reset sequence for the MPG display module (likely from the actual shop manual)

·
Registered
2015 Forester
248 Posts
well guess what ? ............ what i was trying to explain to you is that YOU dont KNOW IF IT false or not or just a software read on a temp reading . as they all do .............,and the only thing know for sure is that you are snotty ............... figure it out on your own fella how;s that??

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well guess what ? ............ what i was trying to explain to you is that YOU dont KNOW IF IT false or not or just a software read on a temp reading . as they all do .............,and the only thing know for sure is that you are snotty ............... figure it out on your own fella how;s that??
I'm not being "snotty." You obviously did not bother to read my post. I am pointing what is a instrumentation issue not a general conversation on how to get better mileage.

I suggest you don't reply to posts when you don't know the subject or issue and you won't feel so upset and angry when someone steers the thread back to its actual subject.

And I already got help figuring it out from someone who actually knows the subject though a PM with the tech manual instrumentation reset. so relax and stop being so angry. take your time to read what people post. This is also the electrical issues forum, not the speculation on gas mileage and tires forum

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not being "snotty." You obviously did not bother to read my post. I am pointing what is a instrumentation issue not a general conversation on how to get better mileage.

I suggest you don't reply to posts when you don't know the subject or issue and you won't feel so upset and angry when someone steers the thread back to its actual subject.

And I already got help figuring it out from someone who actually knows the subject though a PM with the tech manual instrumentation reset. so relax and stop being so angry. take your time to read what people post. This is also the electrical issues forum, not the speculation on gas mileage and tires forum.

Diagnostic:
Perform the steps described in (2) through (4) within 10 seconds.
Within 3 seconds after turning the IG-ON, turn the lighting switch to Switch 1 (TAIL) or Switch 2 (HEAD).
While keeping the lighting switch to Switch 1 (TAIL) or Switch 2 (HEAD) position, press the i/SET switch three times.
Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the i/SET switch three times.
Turn the lighting switch to Switch 1 (TAIL) or Switch 2 (HEAD) position again, press the i/SET switch three times.
There's is also this procedure:

Fuel Economy Reset
After IG-ON, pull the i/SET switch toward you for two seconds to display the setting screen.
Select “Factory delivery setting” from “Setting screen”.
Select “ODO setting reset” and determine with “Yes”.
The screen that indicates the completion of the setting is displayed for three seconds. This is the end of operation.
Notes:
The resetting operation is confirmed twice. Select confirmation according to the screen.
The display will terminate with IG-OFF or by selecting“ Back” from the menu screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.