Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if somebody could school me on lift springs (Mann, Eibach, King*) and whether there are any travel issues with the OEM shocks. I swear I saw a post about the Eibachs where someone had an issue with their dampers getting trashed due to lack of droop travel in like 5k miles after installing them, but now I can't find it 馃檭. I've been debating what type of lift I want to do (if any), and while a spacer lift would be dirt-cheap, I really like the idea of having added (bump) travel from springs.

*King's springs give a slight lift due to higher spring rate from what I understand, but they have this disclaimer by their SJ springs on the website: "DUE TO A LACK OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS, WE CAN NOT MANUFACTURE A LOWERED NOR A RAISED HEIGHT FOR THIS VEHICLE." This adds to my concern.

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out why I couldn't find that post, and it was because it's on a Crosstrek forum. Two people in this thread mention having their shocks blown out from insufficient travel while running the Eibach kit. Are lift springs just a no-go for the SJ? Or does anyone make longer-travel shocks that would work with them?

Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
While I don't know about the eibach set up, there is a company that makes full coil over kits for the SJ Forester and can provide up to 2" of lift... the kit runs about 1300 bucks (if I remember right) and can be ordered. the kit is also somewhat adjustable and so you can set your height at whatever you want (within the spec)...

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yeah I've seen that Tein, Flatout and Gorilla make coilover kits, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money. They're reasonably priced for coilovers; I just don't have that kind of budget.

Registered
2010 Forester x limited Manuel
I have an SH. Very similar. I chose to go with RalliTek springs (+1/2鈥 rear) and KYB struts. Topped with RalliTek 2鈥 lift spacer and rear sub spacer. The springs are stiffer than the OEM. More truck like. If you like a softer ride go with stock. I鈥檓 off-road a bunch. I like the springs.
Yes I believe a spring lift alone will affect the struts travel as you are starting static extended from the get go. No room for rebound. That鈥檚 why I did both. i kept the spring height the same as stock as not to disrupt the range of travel. 2鈥 spacers gave me the clearance I was after for the desired tire size.
IMO go 1鈥 spacer, stock spring, Billstien B4 or if the budget allows B6. You gain nothing from the second inch except stretched cv joints and worn ball joints. Seriously I have back stock of wheel bearings, complete axels and ball joints. It鈥檚 some maintenance for sure. If you鈥檙e needing to carry weight then I can see rear spring.

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO go 1鈥 spacer, stock spring, Billstien B4 or if the budget allows B6. You gain nothing from the second inch except stretched cv joints and worn ball joints.
Thanks. Yeah, I definitely don't want to go higher than 1-1.5" for CV joint reasons. My car is my daily (my only, really), so I need it to be semi-reliable. Spacers are way cheaper for the results I want, especially with the shock issues.

Registered
2017, Subaru Forester - Premium
Thanks. Yeah, I definitely don't want to go higher than 1-1.5" for CV joint reasons. My car is my daily (my only, really), so I need it to be semi-reliable. Spacers are way cheaper for the results I want, especially with the shock issues.
Hello! I too have an SJ and am looking into lifts. Regarding the CV joint issues and the recommendation to stay at 1" lift... do you think 1.5" lift setup from ADF will be okay?

Link
2014-2018 SUBARU FORESTER 1.5" STRUT SPACERS W/ MULTI LINK SPACERS (NA)
SJ-1.5SS1.5MLK-NA

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're doing the lift with multi-link spacers, then yeah, you should be fine. The spacers lower your subframe to keep things closer to stock alignment. General wisdom seems to be that you can do up to 1.25" without subframe spacers, after that you're gambling on your CV joints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts