Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
448 Posts
I plan to use diluted Iron-X (being cautious) for chemical decontamination of the car (2015 non-turbo) before using a clay bar. It should be no problem to use it on the paint but its thin and may run over the plastic trims at the bottom of the doors. I could not find much info of its effect on the plastic trim. It is thioglycolic acid afterall. Does anybody have experience with its effect on the plastic trim?

My plan is a thorough wash -> Diluted Iron X -> Clay Bar -> Klasse AIO and high gloss sealant -> Collinite 845 -> Pray that it will stay until Spring. I don't have access to an electrical outlet or a DA polisher, so this is the best I came up with.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I've sprayed entire cars down with iron-x with no detrimental effects, including on black plastics. So long as you keep it wet, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
52 Posts
You'll be fine to get it on the plastics, just don't let it dry on the surfaces, and keep the car out of the sun when using it. Don't dilute it- you'll minimize the effectiveness and just end up using more product to do multiple passes.

If you can, avoid using the Klass AOI, as the scratch-filling glazes will not allow the top coat of Collinite to bond to the surface and endure the entire winter- you'd be lucky to get 2-3 months out of that combo. My suggestion would be to use Jescar Power Lock instead, and then top with Collinite. Or, if you just want one product to use, Gtechniq C2v3 will give you 3-4 months of use alone with proper paint preparation (read: iron decon, claybar, and a panel wipe/wax & grease remover before applying... which you should do regardless of any product you apply, honestly).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone. Next 3 days are going to be cloudy so I will make sure to get everything done in those 3 days (doing panel by panel)

@CGumina Thanks for more information.
I have gotten all the products already so I will give a shot with those and see how it works. Next time though I will get the Gtechniq product.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
812 Posts
Jescar Powerlock Plus & Collinite 845 here as well. An awesome combo

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jescar Powerlock Plus & Collinite 845 here as well. An awesome combo
Do you find any sweating as Scott talks about it in one of his videos After watching that video, I am not too sure if I want to do it. I did another car and it turned out pretty good but I have no interest in doing it over, should it sweat.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
812 Posts
Do you find any sweating as Scott talks about it in one of his videos After watching that video, I am not too sure if I want to do it. I did another car and it turned out pretty good but I have no interest in doing it over, should it sweat.
Don't know I'd see it "sweat" on a white car. All I know is I've never had a white car glow as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts