Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new wiper blades for my 2015 Forester. The oem blades have worn out. I need wiper blades that wipe away rain, dirt, dust, pollen and dead bugs. Freezing temperatures, snow and ice are very rare where I live. What are the best replacement wiper blades?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
555 Posts
Trico NeoForm worked well for me as a beam-style blade. Just get them on Rock Auto for cheap. Don't forget to replace your rears too.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
902 Posts
I buy the one from Costco, we have Michelin, dunno what brand yours have. Tried expensive ones and they don't last any longer.

OEM wiper arm is horrible for below freezing, the joints freeze very easily and impossible to clean out the ice so wiper never follows the windshield curve. If the rear blade attachment wasn't proprietary I would replace that too.

·
Registered
15 XT Premium high torque CVT
138 Posts
The way to make them last a long time is to wipe them down every six months or so with 303 Protectant. It really works.
We have very high levels if UV and heat here in the desert southwest and especially at 5000 feet elevation and rubber (along with everything else exposed to the elements) takes a beating.
-Charlie-

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Checking the Trico website, Find Your Wiper Size | TRICO® Windshield Wipers, shows that my Forester needs 26" blades for the driver's side and 17" blades for the passenger side. They don't show the size needed for the rear wiper. I'll measure the rear wiper.

One of my first choices is whether to buy wiper blades that fit traditional/oem wiper blade arms. Or whether to buy new Beam style blades. I'd appreciate any helpful pro and con thoughts about this?

Trico offers 12 different wiper products, Windshield Wiper Products for Drivers | TRICO® Windshield Wipers. Bosch shows 14 different wiper products, https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/wiper-blades, that fit my Forester. My initial urge is to choose one of the top rated wiper blades.

I've never bought/used premium quality wiper blades. I'm not convinced whether they will last (much) longer and perform (much) better. Based on prices from local auto parts stores replacing my front wiper blades with premium blades could cost nearly $60. Plus the cost for the rear wipers. Ouch!

Trying to figure out the benefits vs. the costs is challenging. Trico's website says to replace you wipers every 6 months. I've never needed to do that. It would be very costly for "premium" wipers.

For a comparison I'll go to Costco to see what they stock and how much they cost. Costco's web site shows they sell Goodyear Hybrid Wiper Blades. It does not provide prices.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve tried a few different types of blades over the years also. The more expensive, didn’t really do anything better IMO. Recently bought some traditional Rain-X for one of my vehicles. They were cheaper priced, and seem to flow smoothly and clean well. Blades for Subaru’s are under warranty for 36 months. I stopped into parts at a dealership to buy a rear blade refill recently. The parts guy asked about my mileage, then sent me to service and saved me $14.00. I would experiment with different brands, until you find someone you like. More money isn’t always better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goodyear wipers from Costco $4.99 when on sale and they wipe efficiently and last.
If Costco's Goodyear wipers are near that price I'll buy them. For about 1/6th of the cost of "premium" blades it's more cost effective to replace them as needed, whether that's in 6 months or every few years.

I live along California's Central Coast where it rarely rains from early spring until late fall. We have no worries about snow, sleet or slush in the winter.

·
Registered
2014 Premium Manual 6-speed
34 Posts
I also use the Valeo Ultimate lines... HK series for most of the year and W series for the snow/ice/etc (which doesn't apply to you)

I get them from Rock Auto

VALEO 17HK $7.03
VALEO 26HK $8.82

VALEO W17 $6.61
VALEO W26 $7.38

For the rear I use this:
BOSCH H354 $4.61

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
224 Posts
@Steve B. you can't just measure a rear wiper. there's a few different clip styles. i got mine from rock auto. best to order for 2 cars than they only tack on a buck shipping for additionals. if you want the original style your foz came with that would be the hybrid frame.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really don't know what replacement windshield wipers I need or want for my 2015 Forester. I'm very open to installing higher quality, more costly, wipers if they'll work better and last longer than the OEM ones. I've had the Forester longer than 36 months. So the cost and choice of what to buy is all up to me. My area has a moderate, Mediterranean, climate. I don't need wipers for severe wet, cold and icy conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's helping me sort out the choices.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
I run Bosch. Usually get 4 years or so from a set and that's through all sorts of garbage Canadian weather. Winter isn't nice to wipers. The Bosch are a low profile and work great.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
12 Posts
Several years ago Consumer Reports tested wiper blades. Their conclusion was buy inexpensive ones as none lasted more than 6 months. This has worked for me on 7 or 8 cars. Set yourself a reminder to change them every 6 months. Since I live in Houston one of my change dates is the beginning of hurricane season!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts