Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie when it comes to cars and upgrading things within the car.

I am wanting to remove the factory head unit from my 2015 Forester 2.5i. Would a 2016 factory head unit (Claion pf 35471) work in my car?

I have tried googling this and doing research but I don’t know what to look for in terms of compatibility.

If not what are some other recommendations?

·
Registered
2017 Outback
122 Posts
What is the model number of the radio that is presently in your car? Look at the lower right hand corner of the radio for the model number. Do you have the Harmon Kardon option? What features are you hoping to add by switching radios? SiriusXM? High Def radio? Better sound?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CF605UL

I am wanting a touch screen and better sounds. my bluetooth keeps disconnecting if I go over large bumps. I don’t know if that’s the system or what is causing it?
I do not have the Harmon Kardon option.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
122 Posts
You'll get lots of advice on this forum but IMO you'll be happier with an aftermarket radio. The Subaru touch screen radios are not as good as they should be. I removed the Subaru/Fujitsu navigation radio that came in my '15 Limited because it was so flaky....poor Bluetooth, work-if-I-want-to touch screen, confusing menus, etc.

Look for a Pioneer, Kenwood or Sony and stay away from Dual, Power Acoustics and cheap Chinese off-brands. Play with different radios in a store until you find one you like.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
If not what are some other recommendations?
I upgraded the infotainment in exactly the same car, and discussed it in this thread: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/infotainment-upgrade-2015-2-5i-premium.802437/

I hasten to point out that I did not do the work myself: I found an installer with specific Subaru expertise (World Wide Stereo near Philadelphia) and they did a spectacular job. Two months and a couple of road trips later, I am even happier than I was initially.

Yes, get Sony or a Pioneer or a Kenwood, depending on the features you want. No Subaru unit will come close, don't even think about it. Upgrade the speakers as well, if you can afford it: the stock speakers are awful. If you plan to keep the car for years, you'll eventually forget the cost but appreciate the upgrades every time you drive. I spent $1100 for the head unit, Focal component speakers (front doors and dash) and the Sony head unit, including integration with the car's systems (steering wheel controls, lighting, etc.). Besides all the new features and reliable functionality, the sound quality is vastly, incomparably better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the model number of the radio that is presently in your car? Look at the lower right hand corner of the radio for the model number. Do you have the Harmon Kardon option? What features are you hoping to add by switching radios? SiriusXM? High Def radio? Better sound?

Hi, I have the Harmon kardon speakers- do you know what kind of brand I need to get for everything to work correctly?

·
Registered
2015 FXT
17 Posts
Take a look at crutchfield.com, they will have headunits that will fit and have the associated connectors/trim fill pieces available for purchase. They also provide connector services so all you have to do is take out the original head unit and plug in the new one. Its a little bit more involved if you want to retain steering wheel button controls. They also have people to talk to if you have any problems and they have been very helpful in my past experiences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts