Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along to drop my kids off at daycare, drove through what I saw as a green light which became yellow as I approached the light, when suddenly a wild Hyundai appeared! Very minimal damage was done to the cars (side mirrors knocked together, basically). She called the cops and her husband, who both upon seeing the dashcam footage immediately took my side.

Pay attention to other drivers!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Premiu
5 Posts
I use a Garmin Drive assist GPSr in my car which has a dash cam built in. I move it from car to car (personal/work/wife) because I hate not having the protection it gives me. 3 times it has given me very valuable videos.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of my cars have had a dashcam installed since 2013. I've been using Viofo A119s v2 for the past year and it takes very good recordings. I have adjusted the camera to point down a bit more since watching this footage.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
133 Posts
Dashcams are great.

Caught this accident a while back:

I reviewed the footage and drove over to where the police showed up and let the officer know I caught the accident on camera. But she said the Jeep driver admitted causing the accident so she just thanked me for trying to help. I'm sure the lady driving the Jeep wondered why some random Subaru driver was talking to the cop!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was driving along to drop my kids off at daycare, drove through what I saw as a green light which became yellow as I approached the light, when suddenly a wild Hyundai appeared! Very minimal damage was done to the cars (side mirrors knocked together, basically). She called the cops and her husband, who both upon seeing the dashcam footage immediately took my side.

Pay attention to other drivers!

She said I ran a red - YouTube
no offense, but you had plenty of time to stop.

I think that accident could have been avoided per you slowing down. when the light turned yellow, you sped up when you could have slowed down safely. Not sure of the reason you rushed that light.

Im not saying that she was not at fault either, because she didnt stop. But your brakes will work if you use them. You could have avoided that hit along with he said she said .

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, you're probably right. I did hit my brakes, but since it looked like she was going to turn into the far left lane I probably didn't fully lock-up or engage ABS. I don't think I sped up when the light turned yellow. Not sure how you could gauge that from the video?

But she also could have avoided this by either a) stopping at the red light like a normal human being, or b) putting 2 illegal moves into play by running the red and immediately pulling into the passing lane.

In any case, nobody was hurt, the cars were not damaged beyond a small scuff on my mirror cover, and the police sided with me because I clearly had right of way.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
577 Posts
I tried a dash cam for awhile, but found it unreliable in automatically powering up after the car sat in freezing temperatures overnight or at work.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
241 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
133 Posts
Nah, you're probably right. I did hit my brakes, but since it looked like she was going to turn into the far left lane I probably didn't fully lock-up or engage ABS. I don't think I sped up when the light turned yellow. Not sure how you could gauge that from the video?

But she also could have avoided this by either a) stopping at the red light like a normal human being, or b) putting 2 illegal moves into play by running the red and immediately pulling into the passing lane.

In any case, nobody was hurt, the cars were not damaged beyond a small scuff on my mirror cover, and the police sided with me because I clearly had right of way.
I didn't want to be the first one to say it, so now that someone else said it first...you could have avoided this accident. Was it legally your fault? No. But you didn't slow down when the yellow light came on and you still kept going fast until well after she made the turn. There was time to react. There's a lot to be said for defensive driving. :grin2: Good thing you had the dash cam.

Reminds me of a friend who always crosses a particular street in a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the block. The traffic usually doesn't stop even though it's supposed to but he will just go into the crosswalk anyway. His logic? Well if I get hit, it's the driver's fault!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,567 Posts
@frijoles - Please tone down the rhetoric. You can make your point without engaging the swear filter or even providing your own asterisks, once let alone three times.

@infinite012 - Thanks for your calm and reasoned response. That's how we are here.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's all good. There's always two sides to every story and more often than not there's not one person who is completely free of fault. Everyone makes mistakes.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Im using a dual channel “Street Guardian” in my Forester .
Its pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another vote here for the Street Guardian Dashcam's.

Back in July 2018 a woman ran into my RH quarter panel at a shopping centre and claimed that she was not responsible for the damage.
My SG Dashcam showed quite clearly that she did run into me, the camera captured the reflection of the accident in the shop window.
My insurance company went after her after I lodged a "Not at Fault Claim" against her and supplied the dashcam footage.

My next dashcam purchase will be a dual channel Street Guardian Dashcam, the support from Street Guardian is phenomenal, both here downunder and in the USA.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,659 Posts

To me it looked like you were going pretty fast and it actually looked like you sped up in the video. In any case you didn't slow down.

To me it was a good cautionary tale about why you should (and what happens when you don't) drive defensively.

As you approached the intersection and the vehicle had completed it's turn, had you just slowed down it wouldn't have happened.
Were you legally required to - No. Should you have done things differently - Yes.
I'm glad the damage was minimal and no one got hurt.

I strongly suggest you don't drive a motorcycle. You would likely be dead in a week.
On a bike, you have to expect that people will do incredibly stupid things, because they do.
The driver of the vehicle you collided with is a case in point.
The next time you might not be so lucky.
There is an old saying that if you demand your right of way, you are right, and you can also be dead right.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
120 Posts
mjd1123--I like your example of the basically uncaring assertion of legal right despite potentially risking everything. Reminds me of an incident a few decades ago when I started to slowly back out of a parking space when a woman appeared and kept walking into my path. She was righteously indignant and left no doubt that the fault was mine. I told her she was right, but that the consequences of her keeping walking were as follows: my insurance would get a ding for a few years and I would feel badly about hitting her, but she might wake up in pain every morning thereafter. Now I've got Subaru's backup collision avoidance and I'm glad to have it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
15 Posts
Right now I have a Anker Roav S1, I found for cheap. I have been interested upgrading to a front and rear unit like the Blackvue dual channel kit but keep putting off the upgrade due to the cost of the kit. I was curious if anyone else has used the Blackvue and switched to the Street Guardian or chose one over the other?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts