Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read everything here on the forum before making my move on a full size spare…….thanks.

Not wanting to change the cargo floor level, carry a deflated spare, carry an outside spare, or be to far away from the Suburu 1/4" tolerance factor, I chose a P205/70R-16 tire and a used 2010 oem 16 steel rim. This keeps the spare very close to or even within the 1/4" factor as the car tires wear down and it fits in the tire well w/o any huge changes. The OEM tire P225/60R-17= 27.6" and the spare P205/70R-16= 27.3", .3" diff. By doing a physical measurement of the new spare vs new car tires they are within 1/4".

* I should also add that the oem G91F tires have .3125" of tread. So, when the car tires are worn out the spare will be .3" larger. In other words the P205/70R-16 spare is roughly 1/2 way between a new oem tire and a worn out tire, always keeping the spare close to or within the 1/4" factor.

All I did then was place the spare upside down in the tire well, slide it up/forward maybe a 1/2" and reinstall the bolt into the next threaded hole. The tool organizer inside the spare fits okay, but had to do away with the foam tire cover. In it's place I made a wooden piece (pic) to go on top of the spare to reinforce the floor lid. The new spare sits just bit more than 1/2" under the lid.

All works well and I hope to never need it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium Standard
227 Posts
Nice job with that wood brace. I had been concerned with losing the support from that foam piece once I move to the full size spare, but somehow I hadn't thought of making a brace like that. Thanks for the tip! Keep us posted about how it's working as time goes forward.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Automatic
275 Posts
I think I'm going to steel this exact idea for my full-size spare. I'm looking over options now and this seems to be the best option.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job with that wood brace. I had been concerned with losing the support from that foam piece once I move to the full size spare, but somehow I hadn't thought of making a brace like that. Thanks for the tip! Keep us posted about how it's working as time goes forward.
Thanks…..I'm adding another pic that may better help show the wooden frame. Essentially, the plywood feet fit into foam pockets on both sides and the 1/2" plywood forward leg sit on the spare tire. The top of the frame is just slightly below the lid/cover, as not to hold the cover up above the original position.

I think I'm going to steel this exact idea for my full-size spare. I'm looking over options now and this seems to be the best option.
Please do! I put quite a bit of research into this and very pleased with the end result. I'd be happy if someone else can benefit from it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
195 Posts
I didn't realize that 16" wheels fit the 2015's. Tirerack doesn't show it as an alternate size.
As Geojosh mentions, not on the XT, but on the 2.5i 16-inch rims fit nicely. I've bought some for my winter setup (Subaru original steel wheels), and did a test fit because I wasn't sure - they clear the calipers very well.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Nice, Must be an error in the tirerack sizing database. Should make any winter set a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Ltd. Eyesight
19 Posts
Essentially, the plywood feet fit into foam pockets on both sides and the 1/2" plywood forward leg sit on the spare tire. The top of the frame is just slightly below the lid/cover, as not to hold the cover up above the original position.
Can you tell us the dimensions/measurements of your wooden spacer please?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wooden Brace Measurements

Sure, no problem…..I can take some better pics with different angles of just the brace itself if anyone wants them.

Using 3/4" thick Poplar from Home Depot; I ripped one piece to 1 7/8" W x 38" L and a short piece that attaches the plywood to the 38" board, it is 3/4" x 1 3/8" W x 5 1/2" L.

1/2" plywood; the top piece is 5 1/2" W x 15 1/2" L. The left foot is 3 5/8" x 3 7/8" and the right foot is 3 7/8" x 5 1/4" with one corner cut off at a 45* to fit the foam pocket.

The wooden brace all screwed together just sits in the side foam pockets, loosely snug, not tight, and supports the tire cover! I put a clear quick dry sanding sealer on it too.

Can you tell us the dimensions/measurements of your wooden spacer please?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limite
2 Posts
It looks like you have done your homework...

I just bought a 2015 2.5L Limited. I asked the dealer for a price on a new wheel and tire and it was not nearly as bad as I expected. So, if carrying an extra OEM wheel/tire as a spare can work out, I would not need to worry about getting the sizes/offset wrong, risking damage to transmission OR limiting how far I can drive it before getting nervous about it.

Will the OEM fit in the spare compartment?
If not, will it fit if deflated? (I intend to carry a pump anyway.)
Are there other problems with carrying an extra OEM wheel/tire that I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
447 Posts
Sure, no problem…..I can take some better pics with different angles of just the brace itself if anyone wants them.
You came up with a really great solution for both the full size spare and the brace supporting the cover over it. Can I take you up on the offer for some more pics with different angles of your brace? Also, I assume for the (hopefully) rare use of the spare the brand used doesn't have to match OEM (Yokohama)? Did you get your new spare and used rim through Tire Rack or someone else? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kōbai-iro;5217689 said:
You came up with a really great solution for both the full size spare and the brace supporting the cover over it. Can I take you up on the offer for some more pics with different angles of your brace? Also, I assume for the (hopefully) rare use of the spare the brand used doesn't have to match OEM (Yokohama)? Did you get your new spare and used rim through Tire Rack or someone else? Thanks
Thanks!
Sure….sometime tomorrow I'll pull the brace out and take some better pics that shows how it is screwed together.
For the rim, I bought a used (like new) 2010 Forester 16" steel rim at a wrecking yard. Can't miss using oem! Discount Tire has access to used oem rims too. If memory serves me correctly the tire is a Goodyear Eagle LS-2 from Discount Tire. The tread doesn't matter much for a spare, just something similar is fine, since it's only intended purpose is temporary until the flat is fixed.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kōbai-iro;5217689 said:
Here are more pics with a few measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
447 Posts
Hi Desert_Forester, hey thanks a lot for the photos and the info in your previous post last night- much appreciated! Yeah I checked my local Discount Tire and that Goodyear Eagle LS2 is the only tire in that P205/70R-16 size they stock. About $120. They have an aftermarket 16 x 6.5 5 x 100/115 41 offset steel wheel for $65 if I go that route. I based the wheel search on a 2010 Forester X base model. I'll check around for a used OEM steel wheel too - yeah OEM would be preferable for fit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kōbai-iro;5220601 said:
Hi Desert_Forester, hey thanks a lot for the photos and the info in your previous post last night- much appreciated! Yeah I checked my local Discount Tire and that Goodyear Eagle LS2 is the only tire in that P205/70R-16 size they stock. About $120. They have an aftermarket 16 x 6.5 5 x 100/115 41 offset steel wheel for $65 if I go that route. I based the wheel search on a 2010 Forester X base model. I'll check around for a used OEM steel wheel too - yeah OEM would be preferable for fit. Thanks again!
You're more than welcome.
I believe that most all 16" Forester rims are the same. Here is the link I used to find the rim.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
There used to be lots of wrecking yards on 99 between Lynnwood and N. Seattle and also out towards Woodenville.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts