Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2015 FORESTER
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bman400 No not accurate at all. Up until a few months it was accurate- meaning when I filled up (no matter how low or full the gas gage reading was at the time of the fill-ups -1/2-1/4 of a tank reading on the dashboard gas gage). After the fill-ups, the estimate range would be any where from 400+ (average 400 +/-). Then, I started noticing the extreme fluctuations in the estimates of range miles of gas. Wouldn't even drive a mile or a couple miles and the estimate readings would go from 400+/- down to 310 ( bouncing/fluctuating ranges anywhere in between) . The other day after a fill up with aprox 1/4 of tank reading on the dashboard, it read 460 (the highest I ever seen it read). Started to drive and the readings fluctuated anywhere between 460-310 in a matter of driving aprox 80-90 miles distance.

Registered
2015 FORESTER
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@rdclark I'm not questioning the calculations... my concern was/is the extremes fluctuations in the estimates in the little amount of driving it took. My driving was/is the same, as it's been. In fact it's been routine/same trip for over 3years constantly. However, only in the last maybe 6 months has this been occurring. I've had the car since brand new of July 2015 (father's day).[/QUOTE]

FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
Wait! Before you do that (it may be too late)...

Note 1 big thing - when you reset your trip odometer (either A or B or both), the MPG will reset (basically) to zero. This will also impact the distance to empty. Mind you - it won't be a HUGE swing (and 100 miles is not really a huge swing).

Resetting the the lifetime could help but ...

Remember also that your driving habits COULD have changed over the last 15 months or so - were you still commuting for work? Were you still making long trips? Or was everything just a few miles here or there to the stores, the doctor, the wherever...?

DTE will fluctuate on a trip reset and how your first few miles (ok, maybe first few dozen miles?) as the system recalibrates from zero to something...

My normal weeks (before and after COVID) usually will see about under 100 miles... so my DTE will usually pop in at about 300 miles. If I get to take a few longer distance trips with more non-stop miles, then my DTE will climb. If I fill the tank and reset my trip, the DTE will usually first come up based upon that last DTE and average MPG. But the next 50 or 100 miles will see a change (up or down) based upon those miles.

Registered
2015 FORESTER
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@FozzieBalou Thank you ... No not too late. My driving habits have not changed a bit (not because of COVID). I'm retired and have made the same consistent trips regularly for way over two years+ (about every 3 months-for the last almost 3 years) other wise just local driving no more 20 miles a week and occasionally maybe a 80-100 mile round trip every couple months.

RE: .... when you reset your trip odometer (either A or B or both) ... I have only reset both the odometers twice since owning the car (bought new June 2015-fathers day).

RE: But the next 50 or 100 miles will see a change (up or down) based upon those miles.
Last week my trip which was aprox 80-85 miles-the change of fluctuation after fill-up started at 460 and up and down the whole trip home lowest being 310 and back up to 360-380.

Diane

FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
One more thing to consider - even if your trips and driving have not changed, the weather has. Higher temps and humidity can and will change the way your Foz uses fuel, as the air/fuel mixture changes based upon conditions. This can cause some fluctuations in the MPG and DTE.

But if you're really unsure, take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Registered
2015 FORESTER
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@FozzieBalou Thank you again... I will be consulting with a dealer when I can. The nearest dealers (Beaverton and Salem Oregon) are about 2 hours away (opposite directions) so not exactly a convenient trip for me now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts