Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into purchasing the front runner roof rack, but still trying to justify the hefty price. Can anyone provide any comments on the roof rack? Pros & cons? Or even possibly a better rack system that doesn't break the wallet?

I'm for sure looking for a flat rack, hoping to invest in a rooftop tent in the future. I also want a flat rack to load snowboard bags, pelican cases, accessories, etc. One thing I do like about front runner are their accessories (storage containers, jerry can+holders, brackets, etc.), but the accessories are a bit pricey.

Any recommendations, advice, or similar posts would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X Manual
23 Posts
I’ve had my FrontRunner rack coming on 6 years now. It carries bikes, surfboards, kayaks, camping gear (including peli cases and larger odd sized needs) and then the occasional Home Depot run for lumber etc.

I really value the versatility with this style rack, so for me the price was acceptable. Especially with my plans to keep it for my next Forester. Adding or removing accessories is dead simply and easy to configure for however you feel works best in the moment. The T slots offer endless options for tie down locationetc...

Speaking to the durability, I haven’t been delicate loading things over the years and I can say the powder coating is pretty tough. There are a few scratches and some very mild corrosion on the end caps from New England winters.

If something happened to this one, I’d for sure buy another.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve had my FrontRunner rack coming on 6 years now. It carries bikes, surfboards, kayaks, camping gear (including peli cases and larger odd sized needs) and then the occasional Home Depot run for lumber etc.

I really value the versatility with this style rack, so for me the price was acceptable. Especially with my plans to keep it for my next Forester. Adding or removing accessories is dead simply and easy to configure for however you feel works best in the moment. The T slots offer endless options for tie down locationetc...

Speaking to the durability, I haven’t been delicate loading things over the years and I can say the powder coating is pretty tough. There are a few scratches and some very mild corrosion on the end caps from New England winters.

If something happened to this one, I’d for sure buy another.

Hope this helps!
Awesome!! Thank you for sharing and your in-depth feedback. I'm highly considering to invest in one, especially after all the recommendations about it. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 XT Premium CVT
12 Posts
Looking into purchasing the front runner roof rack, but still trying to justify the hefty price. Can anyone provide any comments on the roof rack? Pros & cons? Or even possibly a better rack system that doesn't break the wallet?

I'm for sure looking for a flat rack, hoping to invest in a rooftop tent in the future. I also want a flat rack to load snowboard bags, pelican cases, accessories, etc. One thing I do like about front runner are their accessories (storage containers, jerry can+holders, brackets, etc.), but the accessories are a bit pricey.

Any recommendations, advice, or similar posts would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I know you said frontrunner accessories are pricy and I agree. I came across this video on youtube which is helpful for tie down rings and other ideas this person did with their rack. Frontrunner DIY Mounts - Land Cruiser 100 Series Overland Build

1 - 5 of 5 Posts