Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
2015 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Forester Touring Front Dif-- fill plug - 8mm socket hole is nearly stripped from removing it. Does anyone have experience with finding a replacement plug, with a more robust socket fitting? In my opinion the standard plug has a design flaw. Should the plug be over torqued, or electrolysis binds the plug in the slightest, we end up with a mess. Thank you in advance

· Registered
354 Posts
Sometimes you can lightly hammer in a torx bit on a stripped square or allen key insert. I would get an oem plug and put just a tiny tab of anti-seize on the threads and snug it until it stops and then give it like 1/8th of a turn when you can't turn it by hand anymore. Fill plugs do not need to be very tight at all and anti seize will not interfere with the fluid and help a ton to allow easy unscrewing.

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,424 Posts
Check out MAC Tools RBRT hex bit sockets. They prevent rounding and remove if rounded.
Not expensive. The entire RBRT line of tools is awesome and really do work.

· Registered
354 Posts
Proto line and Mac are owned by stanley. so look into proto too. I would avoid the RBRT sockets from snap on though. They are tapered and I actually feel they strip out easier because they rarely go deep enough to bite right vs the max and proto are straight cut so nice and snug! I don't personally feel they are cheap but you can get great quality for cheap too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts