Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I currently have a 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium at 94000 miles, with an extended 100k warranty. At around 88k miles my transmission blew, but luckily I was able to get it replaced at the dealership. I recently found out that my Forester has a CVT transmission, which I heard is a hardship to deal with.

How would any of you handle the continuation of ownership of this vehicle under these circumstances? I'm considering trading it in before my warranty runs out; majority of my driving is highway driving. I'm afraid of the future expenses that may occur dealing with another transmission problem while out of warranty.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
At around 88k miles my transmission blew, but luckily I was able to get it replaced at the dealership. I recently found out that my Forester has a CVT transmission
First off - you bought the car not knowing it had a CVT???

Did you get a whole new transmission at 88,000? If so I’d drive it for another 88k and not worry about it for at least four more years. After all, the rebuilds have all the bugs fixed...😉

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Firetrux Yeah I didn't know about the CVT transmission nor even look into it. I didn't find out till after the fact and difficulties with it.

And yes I got a completely new transmission and I went to the dealership.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Im sure there are a lot of trouble free high mileage CVTs, but I know each one is a bigger liability as the vehicle depreciates in value.

With a brand new one at 88k I would say drive it till ~125k and then get rid of it

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I was just nervous because of some of the technical difficulties I've heard about CVT transmissions but I'll just upkeep my maintenance to ensure longevity!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
788 Posts
As a first owner and no know issues (except CVT) , I would't worry to trade in just because high miles. If you are otherwise happy with the vehicle and did all the required maintenance, I would actually take a chance and keep driving it.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
The advice above and your response is good. When you go for future tranny fluid maintenance take it only to your dealer; I once had an independent shop put in the wrong AT fluid - even after asking them 2x if they had the right stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts