Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I’m looking at buying. 2015 forester 2.5 I premium for just under 13k and it has 99000 miles on it. Would having that many miles Scare you away. Thank you all

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yes. $13k for that many miles on a premium? This would be a very hard pass for me.

If you are serious though... Offer $9.5k and make sure to get an extensive inspection and ask for all the paperwork. My #1 concern would be the CVT. A CVT replacement is expensive, very very expensive!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Would for sure scare me away. The party selling the car is doing exactly what I plan to do, get rid of the car just before the extended warranty on the transmission runs out at 10 years or 100,000 miles.

The CVT costs roughly $8000 to replace (from a Subaru dealer), maybe slightly cheaper with remanufactured ones out there now, and this CVT is far from a bulletproof piece of engineering. It is not a total nightmare reliability wise, there are multiple reports on the forum of over 100k with no issues, but with the cost of replacement its too much of a liability to own out of warranty for me.

Some folks are sourcing used CVTs from wrecked cars and junkyards for MUCH less and having independent shops install them for around $2000 total, but its still a big liability.

Not every issue with it requires full replacement, but its not cheap to replace the few individual parts that can be accessed on the CVT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Forester 2.5i w/ 122k and salvaged title for $6900. It was super well maintained according to the carfax, but got side swiped without deploying airbags or getting to anything mechanical. Thought it was an alright deal, then I read about the CVTs and now I drive it like a baby haha.

Only time will tell

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
you have to look at the car

my 14 crosstrek looked almost new at 90K miles , coworker crosstrek looked like crap and only got 48k

"well maintained" is not just about oil changes ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts