Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the clutch fluid in my 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6MT. To do so I need to be able to bleed all of the current fluid out of the clutch system while simultaneously adding new fluid until the fluid bleeding out of the system looks as though it is all clean, new fluid.

The issue I am having seems very simple: Where do I add clutch fluid? I see the clutch/brake fluid reservoir. The front half of this reservoir is for the brake fluid and the rear half is for the clutch fluid. There is a plastic divider within the reservoir that separates the two chambers. For some reason the screw cap opening to the reservoir only allows access to the brake fluid chamber of the reservoir.

Am I missing something here? How do I add clutch fluid to this vehicle?

(Please see attached images for reference.)

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,716 Posts
A very deep technical question...

Let's check in with Captain Obvious...
"The reservoir for the clutch and brake are a single unit with only one filler spot necessary."
I agree Captain.

Since brake fluid changes need to be done at regular intervals, combining what would ordinarily be two separate tanks into one is a good thing.

There is no such thing as clutch fluid... The clutch uses the same hydraulic fluid as the brakes.
Both systems should be flushed at the same time... It doesn't matter much which is done first.

If you don't know what you are doing, you may end up with an inoperable clutch and/or air in your brake lines.

Do you have a bleeder bottle? - It makes it a one man job.
Do you have a vacuum pump? It typically isn't needed, but if you get air in your lines it's the only way to get rid of it...
Have you ever done this before?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DragonSubie7,

Thanks for replying. I found my answer within your smartly worded post: "Both systems should be flushed at the same time... It doesn't matter much which is done first."

I haven't come across the preceding in the almost 8,000 page technical manual I have for my Forester.

I've been doing my own maintenance on this vehicle to save $$$ and have been learning everything firsthand with the help of the technical manual I have. Engine oil, front diff and transmission fluid, rear diff fluid, brake pads and rotors, tire rotation, engine air filter, etc... All have gone well with no issues.

The clutch fluid (yes I know there is no such thing as fluid designed specifically for clutch operation but let's use 'clutch fluid' in order discuss the fluid that lubricates and allows for function of the clutch) change confused me a little as the technical manual I have did not state that brake and clutch fluid should be flushed and changed all at once and I couldn't find any forum posts or YouTube videos on the topic so I posted the question.

I'll look into doing the brake and clutch fluid flush on my own. I'm sure I can figure it out just like everything else.

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.