Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I just turned on my 2015 Forester and got these indicators. They all look familiar except for the X-Mode indicator. I am able to shift gears and drive. Vehicle worked just find last night and now this.

Any ideas what could be the issue before I go to the dealership?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, twice. Once is 2017 (myself once I started seeing the symptoms) and another in 2019 ( was part of a recall). I was able to test the brake and the break lights lid up.

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,742 Posts
Shoot! Now you're beyond my (admittedly low) pay grade.

Somewhere there's a thread about lights coming on (I think they were the lights you mentioned) and it turned out NOT to be the brake light switch. But I can't find it.

By any chance did you hook up an OBDII reader to check for codes?

Mike

· Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
692 Posts
your check engine light is on. When it comes on it lights up your whole dashboard. get your codes read at your local auto parts store if you don't have a code reader already.

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
Part of the reason that all those lights will light up is that all of those systems are interconnected and a fault on one can create a fault on another - and a domino effect goes on - all systems with a fault code.

Without a reader and with the brake light switch having been replaced, not sure. BUT it could be that the brake light switch that was done under the recall may be out of alignment - as I had that issue with mine about 6 months or so after the brake light switch was replaced.

· Registered
2016 Forester XT
110 Posts
Part of the reason that all those lights will light up is that all of those systems are interconnected and a fault on one can create a fault on another - and a domino effect goes on - all systems with a fault code.

Without a reader and with the brake light switch having been replaced, not sure. BUT it could be that the brake light switch that was done under the recall may be out of alignment - as I had that issue with mine about 6 months or so after the brake light switch was replaced.
I had my brake light switched twice under recall also

· Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Status Update.

Went to the dealer, they did a diagnostic and got a P0171 code.
This is what they found and recommend:
-Repair Oil Leak from Cam Carriers
-Replace front and rear O2 sesnors
-Replace front Brake Pads and Rotor
-Replace rear brake pads and rotor
estimated cost for all this is $3300

What do you guys recommend? Currently doing research on what I can fix on my own.

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
Well, first we'd need to know what the P0171 code is... The oil leak and the suggested brake job are not causing the code.

I had the cam carrier leak done a few months back (under warranty). Get the brakes done by any other viable brake shop - or at least have them looked at...

Subaru dealers have a very strict set of measurements for replacing brakes (pad and rotors)... when my rear brakes were getting close to replacement level, they wanted to replace pads AND rotors, even though the rotors were fine. They suggest doing new rotors instead of turning for their own piece of mine. I had my brakes done at a local tire/brake/suspension shop for half the cost of dealer...

For the cam carrier seals, they do remove the engine - or at least lift it out? - to clean the old sealant and reseal them - as the repair location is down on the sides of the engine. It's mostly labor intensive as the sealant is just a liquid gasket type material...

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
I'm not the right guy to ask - as I've taken my Foz to the shop for most everything. From what I understand or remember hearing, one of the oxygen sensors is an easy find (right up front on top) but one is back around and buried... at least that's what I remember....

· Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
692 Posts
code is for o2 sensors or a vacuum leak. They shouldn't have to replace both sensors . That's lazy and not cost effective to you. have them check the voltages on the sensors to figure our which is bad and have them replace the faulty one. The OEM are Densoo so you can just go to your local auto parts store and buy them for 1/3 the price if you are feeling adventurous, but sicne you had the dealer scan the codes might want to find a local subaru mechanic to do the work. I'm Assuming your not under warranty since you quoted a price, but I would never let a dealer do brakes they overcharge for the job. not sure what is involved in the cam carrier oil leak ,so cant help you there

· Registered
2016 Forester XT
110 Posts
Status Update.

Went to the dealer, they did a diagnostic and got a P0171 code.
This is what they found and recommend:
-Repair Oil Leak from Cam Carriers
-Replace front and rear O2 sesnors
-Replace front Brake Pads and Rotor
-Replace rear brake pads and rotor
estimated cost for all this is $3300

What do you guys recommend? Currently doing research on what I can fix on my own.
The brake pads and rotors should have nothing to do with the code. I think the dealer is probably suggesting to replace them. Check your air filter to see if you have alot of debris stuck in it or maybe its really dirty. I would also check to see if you possibly have a vacuum leak somewhere

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,424 Posts
And, before you replace any O2 sensor, check the connection/wiring. Disconnect, clean and reseat. I had a false O2 sensor code like this. Un hooked the battery, cleared code and it never came back.
This was a Denso o2 sensor.

Make sure your manifold /crossover nuts aren’t loose.

You can easily remove the O2 sensors if you have to. You can rent the tool. It has a bend in the handle with an open socket. Use PB blaster first. But as was mentioned above, have a tech find the offending sensor first.
consider OEM Part.

You can also remove the manifold fairly easily and have better access to both O2 sensors. Torque to spec.

· Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update,

Took the Forester to the dealer to replace both O2 sensors. Once completed all lights turned off. Need to some other work done like the cam carrier leakage, but that is for another time.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts