Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,351 Posts
@Christine1989

With your extended warranty it should cover just about everything except wear parts, so you should be good until the 100K or 7? 8? years have elapsed.. .
That should also cover the cat until 100K, if it's a normal Subaru warranty, as these are bumper to bumper.

As far a lemon laws go, these seldom apply to used cars in most states.
In some states, if the car was purchased while still under the original full factory (for Subaru 3yr/36K) warranty, a lemon law might apply, but that would also require that multiple failures happened which could not ultimately be corrected by repair, so I doubt it would apply to you.

I wouldn't think mentioning "lemon" will get you more than an eye roll response.. ;)

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@DragonSubie7 Hi yes thank you. It’s an additional 60k miles or 5 years . That’s the extended warranty I paid for which just over 2,000 dollars . Well worth it already. The cat is not covered tho. I can’t fight that since that is actually in writing . Lol. With the federal emissions warranty I’m covered until 80,000 miles . Thanks 🙏

·
Registered
2010 Forester
5 Posts
Have a 2010 Forester that has had this 3x, also covered by the federal warranty requirements.
First time was a stalling issue that no one could figure out. I even called the Car Doctor radio show! My regular shop and my dealer told me that it was O2 sensors, plugs, wires blah blah blah.

Finally I went to another dealer with Subaru master mechanics on staff. We were due for another car so I made it a condition for the purchase! They figured it out but never really had a cause. They said sometimes not driving enough highway miles can contribute to the failure. We had very low mileage and it was true that we mostly used it locally. Who knows.

It happened twice more but these were with check engine lights. It’s been a few years now and no other problems with that.

·
Registered
2015 ; 2.5i ; 15,000 Miles (I drive a lot less than I used to !!!!)
129 Posts
Damaged Emissions Eqpt : Some types of Automotive Engine Oil can damage these ; as well as some types of Antifreeze that leaks past head-gaskets can do same thing. Since this vehicle has a turbo, I'd start investigating the Antifreeze-Leak-Idea, followed by Engine-Oil-Useage .........

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
930 Posts
CC can get ruined by turbo/engine allowing excess oil into exhaust as mentioned, getting smashed against rocks, speed bumps, curbs etc, engine running too rich etc, not enough high speed freeway miles to get it good and hot. Did you get it fixed and reason for it's early failure?

I had one go bad on high mileage Toyota truck years ago.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester Prem CVT
5 Posts
I had to have my CC replaced on my 2014 Forester Premium at 165,000 miles. I was told it was due to carbon build up and since my Forester is one of the oil burners, that made some sense. I thought it might be a vacuum leak or maybe a leak around the valve cover gasket but the dealer told me those were fine. Replacing my cc does seem to have corrected my problem.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Chris Klein
I guess maybe I don’t drive enough highway miles. I do go to target which is probably less than 3 mins down the road and the gym which is the same distance as well. I just hope whatever it was is fixed now and it doesn’t happen again. I will have to keep an eye out when it gets close to the 80,000 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Warning issued
A typical for your forester as a ton of 2.5 engines were oil burners, even after several engine re-builds and 0W20 oil debacle. Not to be condescending to you or your decision, however you might want to do a 180 and go back to low/no maint. Reliable TOYOTA autos and scrap out the Forester for what ever possible. Oil from whatever leak/blow by source going out the exhaust is going to create more turmoil regardless of what a extended warranty or upgrading to a newer year model Subaru. They have serious issues of which a lot of people feel that they are not stepping up to the “Plate” to change! A lot of educated individuals have already dumped them and bought other brands-only you can decide what is the best avenue of approach to see what the best transportation is to your best benefit. Don‘t be duped or coherent into finding the best information on this forum or any forum.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
Crankydan, watch the Toyota specific video I posted in another thread about buying a 2014 Forester.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
A lot of educated individuals have already dumped them and bought other brands-only you can decide what is the best avenue of approach to see what the best transportation is to your best benefit. Don‘t be duped or coherent into finding the best information on this forum or any forum.
The whole idea of implying the rest of us are uneducated or are duping the OP into believing something that is untrue is disrespectful to be honest. We are simply sharing our own knowledge and experiences with the our Subarus and just because some of that feedback may be counter to what you experienced or feel doesn't mean it's misleading, wrong or not worthy of sharing.

There is absolutely no value in making a point of slamming others in a forum simply because they share opinions counter to yours. A person loses all credibility when I see them do that as I no longer see them as rational or objective.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
8 Posts
What fails the CAT is heat. The fuel trim is probably rich and the raw unburned fuel gets burned off in the CAT. Make sure that you do not have a defective upstream O2 sensor, or other issue that is causing rich burn. Look at tailpipe to see if it is black (unburned fuel).

Also, if the knock sensor is failed, it will not retard the timing under load. This will cause the exhaust temp to go up as well. A quick check is to monitor the timing and to tap on block near sensor. It should retard timing if working correctly.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What fails the CAT is heat.
i hope this isn’t the start of the never ending problems. I can’t afford that or another car and I need the best awd system. That’s why I bought the Subaru. Wouldnt other codes come up if there was an issue with anything else ?

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@Kean @Quadraria10 @FozzieBalou @NinoS @Mr.AC @Chris Klein @TrekDAVE

Just a quick update ::: I think I got everyone who answered me with some input. I’ve just picked it up from the dealer . I was reading over the write up and it said “will be performing repair of A/F sensor and O2 sensor was stuck to cat and the threads were damaged . Replaced 2 sensors.”

I know it was kind of a rip off but with all the repairs ..catalytic converter, new sensors(knock, O2 etc.) spark plugs and a fuel injection service I paid about 650.00 dollars. I hope this never happens again and whatever was causing the problem is fixed. I love my little turbo and I hope it lives for a very long time. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
664 Posts
Good to hear, But $650 is better than the $1200 they quoted.
If you lived in a state that does not require smog test, maybe next time just go straight pipe with a muffler. LOL

Sounds like a decent price to be honest. Any aftermarket cat would have gone for $300 and change, at lest here in California.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts