Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’m wondering if there was a specific reason my cc has to be replaced at 53,000 miles. I thought I was taking care of my car ..regular oil changes ..premium gas..etc. my cel came on yesterday while driving and two codes came up. One for the CC and the other for my knock sensor. I’ve never had any of these issues with the Toyota’s I’ve owned. I’ve already had to replace the O2 sensor a week after I bought it.
My question is what are the possible causes of this and how can I prevent a costly repair from happening in the future.

luckily the cc is covered under the federal emissions warranty and the sensor is covered under the extended warranty I bought with the car.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
Did you pull the codes or the dealer?

The reason I ask is that not all codes are "REALLY" about the item they're about.

For example, the brake light switch in the SJ models (there was a recall) will throw out all sorts of codes and errors for hill holder and emissions and traction control and more - but actually has nothing to do with any of those systems. A loose fuel cap will cause CEL lights but is there a code for "you didn't tighten up the gas cap"...?

I'd suggest to talk to your local dealer and see what they say. It may well be something else that caused the code and issue. It may be just due to a bad tank of gas, even.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@FozzieBalou I was actually down the road from the dealer so after the told me to check my gas cap..which was tight..I dropped it off. I have been hearing a rattle but I assumed it was something else.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
Pretty rare to have a catalytic converter fail at 53k miles. My 2010 has 240+k miles with the original cat.
Unless you have a turbo, why are you using premium gas?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,046 Posts
If you've already replaced an O2 sensor and again getting an emission code at this low mileage, makes me wonder if the sensor is getting fouled. Have you noticed any excessive smoking from the tailpipe? By the way the code that will trigger if your gas cap is loose or faulty (normally evap related) is not the same code you would get if your catalytic converter or o2 sensor is bad, so something seems off with that suggestion from dealer.

Mind you just throwing out ideas given the info provided, could be anything at this point.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@NinoS Well they suggested the gas cap before I even got there to the dealer and I was on the phone with them immediately after the lights came on.. I guess that would have been the most simple fix. I haven’t noticed any more smoke than usual but I think the smell lately has been pretty unpleasant. Like I said I figured the rattle was my heat shield or something from my exhaust coming loose. Never thought it was this. Just concerned about getting it fixed for free and having to worry about this down the road when I won’t be so lucky and covered.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,046 Posts
@Christine1989 Ah that makes sense with the gas cap, nevermind. If I wish you the best of luck. I would want to know why it failed early too. IF the knock sensor had issues first, perhaps it caused the car to run rich and thus damage the cat?? Just another theory, I'd see what the shop says of course. I just had a knock sensor fail in my old 03X, so it happens at least.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@NinoS Thanks I hope the knock sensor was the cause and it was nothing else. I’m also having them replace the spark plugs while it’s there in the shop. We will see . Thanks 😊

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
664 Posts
Sounds like the dealer isn't being clear. Very very rare does the cat go bad. Unless your turbo is just dumping an insane amount of oil. But that's noticeable by the smoke clouds on start up/daily driving.

From what I know there is a TSB regarding manifold bolts falling off. There was a recent thread just a few days ago about a fellow '15 xt owner needed new manifold/cat combo.

Besides that, sometimes you might be the unlucky one that has a defected Forester. I would at lest make sure the dealer know that you are unhappy with the rate of failures and just to make them pucker up, throw in the "lemon" word in there.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like the dealer isn't being clear. Very very rare does the cat go bad. Unless your turbo is just dumping an insane amount of oil. But that's noticeable by the smoke clouds on start up/daily driving.

From what I know there is a TSB regarding manifold bolts falling off. There was a recent thread just a few days ago about a fellow '15 xt owner needed new manifold/cat combo.

Besides that, sometimes you might be the unlucky one that has a defected Forester. I would at lest make sure the dealer know that you are unhappy with the rate of failures and just to make them pucker up, throw in the "lemon" word in there.
thank you. When I go pick it up during the week I’m going to ask them..maybe I’ll be lucky and the tech who did the work will be there. I’m very curious to just ask about why this happened. Is Lehrer something that I’m not seeing that could be wrong. I guess I’ll have to put some extra money aside just incase this happens again.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
What was the history of the car? I am assuming you bought it used. Was the engine previously replaced? Has anyone explained why the cat failed?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was the history of the car? I am assuming you bought it used. Was the engine previously replaced? Has anyone explained why the cat failed?
I bought it used. It only had 33,000 miles on it. The carfax looked normal and like it was well taken care of. I haven’t gotten an explanation but I did research and it seems like the only cause could be air to fuel mixture fault somewhere. I assume if it was the maf or anything else that would have pulled codes like the knock sensor did? When I get it back I’m going to try and look for any vacuum leaks. My two Toyota’s combined I had for about 300,000 miles and 14 years and nothing ever happened close to the problems this forester has given me the last two years. I thought they were good cars and the only issue was the 2.5 l engines burning some extra oil or the gaskets issues so I had nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
Well, my guess is either it failed because there was a quality problem with that particular one, or I would guess there was an issue with the turbo. Make sure to ask the dealer to try and figure out why it failed so early. If it was from oil fouling you would want to have the cause of that fixed.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my guess is either it failed because there was a quality problem with that particular one, or I would guess there was an issue with the turbo. Make sure to ask the dealer to try and figure out why it failed so early. If it was from oil fouling you would want to have the cause of that fixed.
Thank you I will definitely ask. My turbo is covered under the extended warranty too so if that needs to be replaced I’m going to do that ASAP.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
Hmm, that's why I'm always hesitant to buy a used Turbo. You never really know what was done to the car and how well it was treated by the previous owner. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Check the warranty booklet and state laws. This is one of those things that might still be covered under the federal Emissions Warranty or possibly state. .....although I don't if being the second owner makes any difference.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Kean Hi. Yes luckily it is still covered but only until 80,000 miles..And the knock sensor is covered by the extended warranty I bought with the car. I’m glad I got that . It’s been put to good use .

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ah, crap. I missed that, sorry.

Well, let's hope there is no other underlying cause in that case and you will not have to worry about this in the future.

I've never had a CC in any of my cars I've had to replace with the exception of the one in my wife's '08 Forester. ....but that was due to a recall. Apparently the cat they installed at the factory was determined to be too restrictive. ....oh, and then an exhaust leak years later which turned out to be at the cat they had installed so it was still covered under the emissions warranty.

.....never had a failure in a CC though. Herr '08 had 253,000 miles on it when we gave it to a family member.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Kean Lol no worries. I hope it’s all fixed. I mean I love the car but my goodness it’s a pain lol. I have the extended warranty to about 100,000 miles so I still have a bit of ways to go and I know what to look for now incase it happens again. Just keep an eye on it in the mean time and try not to worry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts