Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here, so thanks in advance for any help and for moving this post to the appropriate forum. The Eyesight on my 2015 Forester has begun to malfunction. After the engine has been running for approximately 5 minutes (with the Eyesight functioning during that time period), the Eyesight turns off, and with it other important features like cruise control. The dealer diagnosed the issue and recommended replacement of the stereo camera (B28ac) to the tune of $2,600, which is beyond my budget. Has anyone run into this issue before or have any suggestions on how I can affordably remedy this issue? Thanks again for any helpful suggestions you guys might have.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
A simple question.
It's winter, and is any frosting or fogging on the inside of your windshield in front of the cameras occurring?
You may not even realize the windshield is fogging over up high by the cameras.
I've had this happen to me more than a few times.
The cure is of course to turn the defroster on immediately after starting the engine, regardless of whether the defroster is throwing warm or cold air.
Just the extra air circulation stops the fogging.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,125 Posts
Do make sure the windshield glass is clean and optically clear, of course.

I would address this directly with SOA. That's a high price -- higher than the original cost of the option -- and Eyesight is a signature Subaru safety feature, not known for this sort of failure. They may want to investigate further, and may be willing to work with you on the cost.

I personally have little confidence in local dealer mechanics' abilities with these advanced systems.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
+1 on contacting SOA.
I have had good results on several occasions. First my mother's 2006 Outback had the leaky headgaskets out of warranty and we were able to get SOA to cover the repair on goodwill. Then my '17 XT had the CVT pump chain cover leak at 27K. I contacted SOA during the repair process and when all settled out SOA offered a 6 year 100K $0 deductible Gold plus plan at no charge.

I do not have eyesite so I don't know but can you disable the system before the error so all the other associated systems still work?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
@EZDoesIt
I'm thinking that the cruise control uses eyesight because it's set up to slow down the car when approaching another vehicle, so probably not a mystery.
The other "safety" type functions for lane departure and autobraking are also optically based so again, not much surprise there.

If you poke around the web you can find several recalls for your model due to eyesight problems. Maybe you are covered through one of those.

Considering the cost you are being quoted, I'd want (at least) a second opinion (and maybe a third) before having a dealer do anything.
If you can get more than one opinion confirming exactly what the problem is (as opposed to a "let's swap the camera and see what happens..) you could then approach SoA with a request such as @KLEMMER suggested.

www.subarupartsdepot.com has the camera for $1,766.38 so you may want to see what the dealer wants to charge for the part.
There are also replaceable lenses, so knowing what they are saying the problem is might help.

It may be possible (IDK) to disable the eyesight functions, so at least you would have cruise control.. or if all else fails, you could go for the trade in option...

I guess you didn't get the extended warranty?
With all of the "electro-magic" features that seems to fail on the newer Foresters, that seems to be a risky decision.

In any case - Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
I had a similar problem and the dealer wanted to do the same, UNTIL the tech noticed a small spider in the lens housing. Fixed for FREE!

All has been good since the “eviction” almost a year ago...

Wishing you the same or similar!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,125 Posts
If you poke around the web you can find several recalls for your model due to eyesight problems. Maybe you are covered through one of those.
There has been one Eyesight-related recall in the last five years. It did not involve any Foresters.

Here's a comprehensive list of Subaru recalls from the definitive Subaru consumer site:
Subaru Recalls: a list of recalls on various model- Outback, Crosstrek, Forester, Impreza, Legacy, WRX, STI, BRZ, Legacy, Tribeca, XV Crosstrek, Baja..

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
825 Posts
It is such a signature system for them, and you aren't far out of warranty, so I would definitely talk to SoA.

Wouldn't be good for business (or us!) if these things started failing early and frequently.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
Two thoughts on this thread--First regarding the Eyesight issue: I too have encountered issues related to condensation; it's the first place to look. Further and as Dragon mentioned, Eyesight and its features were the reason I sprung for a 10-yr/100k extended warranty. Secondly and related, I am infatuated with the rear backup alarm feature. Parking lots in Buffalo and burbs are absolutely jammed with SUVs limiting sight lines and people walk and drive up the aisles haphazardly. In the 6 months I've had my '17 the backup has saved me 3 or 4 times. It's one "fang dangled" technology I'd hate like hell to be without.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone. Thanks for the replies that were on point. Lots of good suggestions for dealing with this issue. Many thanks.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
So back on topic (I hope) to the OP's initial question and what I think the strings intent; Just had my first instance with the 19 Touring Eyesight system mistaking a snow covered mailbox while rounding a curve as "Obstacle Detected" this past week. It went to DEFCON 1 for about a split second than disappeared. Never had that happen with the 17 XT Touring. Couple of possible causes - the sun was directly shining in the windshield; and the windshield had salt grime on it.

Other than the 17XT mistaking a driveway while backing down a steep incline and slamming the brakes, the system in both Model Years has been trouble free and worth it for all of the bundled features.

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
Back on topic:
This morning it was -30F, with wind chill it was -50F.
I park at home in an attached, unheated garage, temp in the garage is about 20F.
Eyesight worked fine on the 20 minute drive to work.
Car sat for 2.5 hr outside.
As soon as I started the car, Eyesight was not functioning.
I checked the upper windshield for interior fogging/icing, there was none.
I remembered reading the Eyesight manual, and it warned that Eyesight may not function in very cold temps.
Well, that's exactly what I encountered today.
At the end of my 20 minute drive home, I heard the single beep and Eyesight came back on just as I turned onto my street.
So, the moral of this story is read your Eyesight manual, and don't necessarily run to the dealer when your Eyesight quits unexpectedly on you.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
I found this link on a Subaru Dealer's website in Maine:

https://www.stanleysubaru.com/blog/...sight-and-some-stuff-you-dont-but-is-neat.htm

Has a helpful summary on the most common causes of malfunction. Being cold is not one I would have anticipated. It is listed in the manual as @bigbird1 noted
above. Here is a link to the online copy for MY 2017:

https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1713A_STIS_Index2.pdf

See pages 4, 5. I l really prefer the online manuals to be able to do a quick e-search for a topic.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Everyone. Apologies for my absence and thanks to everyone for their responses and especially to Kevin for keeping this thread on topic. I became a dad recently, and haven't been able to devote any time to repairing my Forester until today. Eyesight continues to malfunction, and I have a call into Subaru America. They have assigned a case number to this issue and have committed to investigating and calling me back by the end of today. I will be sure to provide an update after I speak again with Subaru America. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone. Apologies for my absence and thanks to everyone for their responses and especially to Kevin for keeping this thread on topic. I became a dad recently, and haven't been able to devote any time to repairing my Forester until today. Eyesight continues to malfunction, and I have a call into Subaru America. They have assigned a case number to this issue and have committed to investigating and calling me back by the end of today. I will be sure to provide an update after I speak again with Subaru America. Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Hi EZDoesit, my eyesight is no longer functioning on my 2015 Forester. My warranty has expired and it is not any of the user error issues discussed above. Just wondering what the outcome of your speaking with Subaru America was? Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 Impreza
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Mayne, Sorry to hear that your eyesight is not working for you. How disappointing. In my case, Subaru America was not willing to take on any of the cost to repair. Full disclosure, my vehicle has a salvage title because it was stolen from the original owner, taken for a short joy ride and suffered some cosmetic damages causing the salvage title. However, I owned the car for 2+ years after this joy ride, during which time the eyesight worked flawlessly...until it didn't. I made that point to Subaru America, but they were firm on their policy to not assist me given the vehicle's title status. Assuming your vehicle has a clean title, I would suggest that you have the issue diagnosed by your local Subaru dealer, and then give Subaru America a call to make your case. They have come to my aid in the past on other mechanical issues.

A follow-up word on the eyesight system in my car: for some period of time, the eyesight system was consistently turning off after the car had been running for 5 minutes or so (which prompted me to reach out to this group). Now, the system almost always stays on and functions UNLESS the car is put in park and left to idle for a few minutes. So odd. Normally, doing nothing doesn't make a car problem better, but in my case, it has. Anyway, post back with an update on your situation after you learn more. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mayne, Sorry to hear that your eyesight is not working for you. How disappointing. In my case, Subaru America was not willing to take on any of the cost to repair. Full disclosure, my vehicle has a salvage title because it was stolen from the original owner, taken for a short joy ride and suffered some cosmetic damages causing the salvage title. However, I owned the car for 2+ years after this joy ride, during which time the eyesight worked flawlessly...until it didn't. I made that point to Subaru America, but they were firm on their policy to not assist me given the vehicle's title status. Assuming your vehicle has a clean title, I would suggest that you have the issue diagnosed by your local Subaru dealer, and then give Subaru America a call to make your case. They have come to my aid in the past on other mechanical issues.

A follow-up word on the eyesight system in my car: for some period of time, the eyesight system was consistently turning off after the car had been running for 5 minutes or so (which prompted me to reach out to this group). Now, the system almost always stays on and functions UNLESS the car is put in park and left to idle for a few minutes. So odd. Normally, doing nothing doesn't make a car problem better, but in my case, it has. Anyway, post back with an update on your situation after you learn more. Good luck!
Thanks for the update EZDoesit. Sorry to hear that Subaru would not help, but glad to hear that it has gotten better. My car is at the dealer now and I'm waiting to hear back. I will update this thread after I do. I'm hoping it is something simple like the spider in the camera mentioned above and by my dealer as the only problem that they have ever had. I got the car new with 11 miles on it and have treated it very well. I know about dirty windshields and sun in the cameras causing malfunctions. This is different, so we will see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the update EZDoesit. Sorry to hear that Subaru would not help, but glad to hear that it has gotten better. My car is at the dealer now and I'm waiting to hear back. I will update this thread after I do. I'm hoping it is something simple like the spider in the camera mentioned above and by my dealer as the only problem that they have ever had. I got the car new with 11 miles on it and have treated it very well. I know about dirty windshields and sun in the cameras causing malfunctions. This is different, so we will see what the dealer says.
Turns out it was a spider web! The service rep said he would "take care of it", so they may not even charge me? He also said that if it had been a system failure that Subaru would have helped me out even though the warranty has expired, since it is considered a safety issue. Will pick up the car after work today. Have been very satisfied and impressed with the Subaru dealer so far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts