Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eyesight system in my 2015 Forester is disabling itself about 75% of the time (full disable, not temporary stop due to obstruction). Dealer wants to replace the camera to the tune of $1800*. Of course you know they charged me $60 for 10 minutes to pull a code that indicated "Camera Malfunction -> Replace Camera." My gut tells me the camera is fine and there's another environmental issue in the car that is causing the problem. I This morning I noticed my battery terminals are very corroded which I will correct ASAP. Could the issue be related to voltage? What else could it be? Dealer is not cooperative when I suggest calibration or software flash/reinstall. I'm all ears for suggestions/opinions on this. I've been stressed about this for weeks and the replacement appointment is coming up in a few days. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read all of the other threads on this... No condensation, and if it was, then I think it would be the temporary disabling, not the permanent (until restart) deactivation. Not a smoker. Don't tell, I wiped the lenses with a microfiber cloth. Didn't help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Eyesight system in my 2015 Forester is disabling itself about 75% of the time (full disable, not temporary stop due to obstruction). Dealer wants to replace the camera ...
Mine disconnects driving into direct sunlight. When yours disables itself does it also disable the cruise control? If so is there any correlation between the "following distance" setting you select and when the eyesight disables? Conversely, can you switch off the eyesight and if you do, will the cruise continue to work normally?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This issue is not a temporary disabling due to sunlight, rain, condensation on window, fog, or any other temporary obstruction. This is a system deactivation due to some type of error. The dash lights come up (all three - eyesight, obstacle detection and lane departure) and the information schreen says "Eyesight Disabled - Check Manual." The manual says "Call dealer."

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,769 Posts
I've read all of the other threads on this... No condensation, and if it was, then I think it would be the temporary disabling, not the permanent (until restart) deactivation. Not a smoker. Don't tell, I wiped the lenses with a microfiber cloth. Didn't help.
Did you wipe the lens before or after the problems started? Because you might have a poor connection somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After. Very carefully. Just to dislodge anything that might have been stuck there. I've also visually inspected. I do not suspect anything is on the lenses at this point. Nor do I suspect a loose connection. The camera does work fine 25% of the time.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,769 Posts
Right, which is why I was wondering about a connection, since it only works 25% of the time.But anyways, I would recommend trying another dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the next nearest dealer is 75 miles away. I do have a local mechanic who said he'd try a software update...

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,769 Posts
Well, for such an expensive repair/replacement, 75 miles away is not the worst. But your call. Also, good luck getting this figured out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I'm leaning towards 1) not fixing it. 2) Trading her in. Dealer is willing to offset some of the cost but I'm looking at $1000 out of my pocket. That's 10 C-notes for a bell/whistle. I'm getting older/wiser/tighter. No thanks.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,769 Posts
Right on, but if you are going to trade it in, try that other dealer. The one that's giving you this headache doesn't sound like a business I'd want to deal with. But that's just me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The used car guy at local dealer is actually a gem. He offers high BB on trade and knocks $1500 off sticker on another used car. He does a lot of volume and everybody in town loves the guy. I wouldn't/couldn't buy new.

Anyway, it sounds like there isn't much deeper insight/new info about Eyesight problems that what has been posted on this forum in the past.... I was hoping somebody might have had a similar problem and resolved it without having to replace the whole system/camera.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
502 Posts
25% success rate is pretty low...

Corrosion on the battery terminals shouldn't affect the functioning of electronics in the car. Once your car is started, the alternator becomes the supplier of current.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I think so too. Just thought maybe there's a voltage problem and the battery seems like the place to start. All other electronic in car are working fine. I guess I was hoping for an easy/quick resolution. Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Eyesight system in my 2015 Forester is disabling itself about 75% of the time (full disable, not temporary stop due to obstruction). Dealer wants to replace the camera to the tune of $1800*. Of course you know they charged me $60 for 10 minutes to pull a code that indicated "Camera Malfunction -> Replace Camera." My gut tells me the camera is fine and there's another environmental issue in the car that is causing the problem. I This morning I noticed my battery terminals are very corroded which I will correct ASAP. Could the issue be related to voltage? What else could it be? Dealer is not cooperative when I suggest calibration or software flash/reinstall. I'm all ears for suggestions/opinions on this. I've been stressed about this for weeks and the replacement appointment is coming up in a few days. Thanks in advance!
My 2011 Forester had the same issue with all the lights on the dash coming on and the cruise control not working. I would have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to make everything work. They never had an answer for me and I finally offloaded the car to purchase the 2015 Forrester. I did have my windshield replaced on the 2015 Forester and had several issues with the eyesight disabling… And it came down to a fingerprint on the camera lens that they didn’t realize was there. I had to take the car in three different times before they could figure that out! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts