Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Hello everyone. My name is Richard. I want to introduce myself and ask for help. I have searched all over the forums, youtube, and google with no luck.

My 15 Forester just started having a funny smell in the cabin this morning on the way to work. It was a recognizable smell of freon/PAG oil. When I got home there was a puddle of green PAG oil under the area where the condensation tube is for the A/C system on my garage floor. I have a paper towel wrapped around the suspect site to be 100% sure that's where it's coming from....I'm sure it is though.

My question is do I have to pull the whole dash to access the evaporator or can I drop the glove box door and fan motor and access it like I've seen you can do for the pre-14 models? I've already dropped the glove box and looked and it doesn't look promising.

If I do have to pull the whole dash does anyone have a write up? I pray that is not a requirement because I know its going to be a big job.

Anyone has had to do this? I hate being a guinea pig!

I called the dealer. I'm looking at 1000-1200 for the repair.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
950 Posts
@RichM1983 If I'm correct the dash stays in place.
Remove the glovebox first, than the heater blower motor box (as one unit)
Than there is a series of screws covering the end of the evaporator. One is hidden between the firewall and box.
You will also remove the aluminum pipes to the evaporator unit. Pay attention to how the lines and cover comes out. it can be a puzzle
Slide the evap unit out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I just can't see how the box could come apart. I've looked at used units on eBay and I don't see a seem? I hate the thought of spending 1,000-1,200 on something that costs a couple hundred in parts... I may have to check out that service manual.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys one last bump. The leak seems intermittent. I did a recharge today to get by some more.

I'm thinking of buying the $35 Subaru subscription to see what is involved. Are you sure the dash doesn't need pulled?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
71 Posts
Hey guys one last bump. The leak seems intermittent. I did a recharge today to get by some more.

I'm thinking of buying the $35 Subaru subscription to see what is involved. Are you sure the dash doesn't need pulled?

Thanks again.
Did you end up doing this project? I am facing the same now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts