Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@ges74 If your 2015 is a non-turbo you do not have GDI/direct injection engine. Fuel will clean the intake valves on port injection engines especially if you use a Top Tier brand of gasoline such as Chevron, Shell, Costco, QT. So if you don't have a turbo the best thing you can do to prevent carbon buildup is to fuel up with a Top Tier brand.
I buy costco almost exclusively. But i also see it has ethanol - is that ok? BTW, didn't get any notice of people's replies, sorry for the late acknowledgement!!! and thx!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@ForesterBill Is right, no carbon deposit issues with your engine. Dealer is just being dealer... I would watch for oil consumption with your engine. Small percentage had that issue (even less with CVT) but I would keep an eye on it
what is oil consumption? leaking? having to change earlier than normal and risk of inadequate lubrication? thx!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Induction clean should be done about every 30,000 miles.
If a piece brakes off its sound like a rod knocking for a short time.
I have experienced this. I ran the induction cleaner from BG. Worked great
Should have seen the carbon crap come out of my exhaust on the test drive.
Also helps to use top tier fuel like Chevron and use 44k by BG.
what is induction clean? is that like using sea foam aerosol? thx!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes, it is a good idea to do a top end clean on any boxer engine. You can do it yourself easily. The genuine fuel additive can be bought, along with the spray can of top end cleaner, from your Subaru dealer.
Adding the injector clean into a near full tank of fuel is all you have to do. Then best to do a nice freeway drive and let it do it's thing.
The spray is delivered into a warm engine through a port in the intake manifold. You under the bonnet spraying it in, and an assistant holding the rev's at about 2000rpm. The Dealer will show you which vacuum line to disconnect or go to Google.
So easy to do so why pay the Dealer? Also, you will probably do a more thorough job as well.
The spray solution MUST go past the inlet valves and so must do some sort of cleaning. The other walnut thing?? Never heard of it but you can't manually scape valves without direct access.
Throttle body cleaning can be done at home if you have a bit of extra knowledge. Cable operated throttles are less risky than fly by wire systems.
So unless you have that extra knowledge, stick to the fuel additive and top end spray. Those two things will make a noticeable difference. Good luck!
Yes, it is a good idea to do a top end clean on any boxer engine. You can do it yourself easily. The genuine fuel additive can be bought, along with the spray can of top end cleaner, from your Subaru dealer.
Adding the injector clean into a near full tank of fuel is all you have to do. Then best to do a nice freeway drive and let it do it's thing.
The spray is delivered into a warm engine through a port in the intake manifold. You under the bonnet spraying it in, and an assistant holding the rev's at about 2000rpm. The Dealer will show you which vacuum line to disconnect or go to Google.
So easy to do so why pay the Dealer? Also, you will probably do a more thorough job as well.
The spray solution MUST go past the inlet valves and so must do some sort of cleaning. The other walnut thing?? Never heard of it but you can't manually scape valves without direct access.
Throttle body cleaning can be done at home if you have a bit of extra knowledge. Cable operated throttles are less risky than fly by wire systems.
So unless you have that extra knowledge, stick to the fuel additive and top end spray. Those two things will make a noticeable difference. Good luck!
thank you, i think you just answered the question i posed to lanny2.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I actually paid to have this service done at the dealer in my 2015 2.5i. Yes I am sure I over paid for what the service is. I was happy with the results. I did it for the first and currently only time at 90k and haven’t heard anything about this before then. I could easily feel a difference in idle and performance. Was it worth my time and money? Yes I think it was.

Now could I have done it myself? I am sure I could have. Did I have the time to do it myself at the time, not really.
thx, appreciate the testimonial!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
767 Posts
what is oil consumption? leaking? having to change earlier than normal and risk of inadequate lubrication? thx!
You have plenty of info on this subject, just search Subaru FB engine oil consumption.
Long story short, certain percentage of early FB engines will use excessive amount of oil so you need to watch your oil level more carefully (as you should per manual either way...), , no need to change it earlier.
But it is nowhere near as bad as it looks when you look online, it is mostly early manual models. Reason is not quite clear, but most likely due to very thin oil (for better MPG), piston rings and boxer engine design.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You have plenty of info on this subject, just search Subaru FB engine oil consumption.
Long story short, certain percentage of early FB engines will use excessive amount of oil so you need to watch your oil level more carefully (as you should per manual either way...), , no need to change it earlier.
But it is nowhere near as bad as it looks when you look online, it is mostly early manual models. Reason is not quite clear, but most likely due to very thin oil (for better MPG), piston rings and boxer engine design.
Got it, thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
The walnut clean involves taking off the intake manifold
Jeez, every 30,000 miles pull the intake to get at the intake valves to clean up the coking sounds like a deal killer. Let's all wait patiently for the next era of EV's; just a battery, some controller circuits, and a couple of sealed motors. (y)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts