Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FORESTER XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I looked around on here but didn't see anything so hopefullly I am not repeating an issue. 2015 Forester 2.0 XT Turbo with 56,000 miles. We were low on gas, I filled it up and as we were driving the engine started to lose power, I gave it more gas and it seemed to clear up. About 100 miles later while driving on the freeway it started to happen again. This time the check emission light, check vehicle dynamics light, check hill start light all came on. The vehicle was in I mode in the transmisssion but the S light started to blink. We made it safely to a parking lot at an exit. I turned the car off, disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and then reconnected it. Turned the car back on and it has been fine ever since, about 150 miles driven to date. The warning lights have all turned off. I have an appointment in a few weeks to have the 60,000 service done. Anyone else experience this or have other thoughts before I take it in and speak to the service advisor?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
My only thought is that your vehicle is doing this, it's likely going into limp mode because it's learned a major problem. Limp mode is trying to avoid damage and it's throwing every light at you possible to indicate a problem, not because it wants you to reset the ECU and pretend the issue isn't still there.

In my experience, these sort of limp events don't just fix themselves. I would say take it in immediately. Even if there's no lights yet, there could be pending codes.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
We were low on gas, I filled it up and as we were driving the engine started to lose power,

It might just be a coincidence, but if the problems started just after filling up it does make the fuel the prime suspect.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
23 Posts
I had a couple of similar situations as the OP. It took the local dealership longer than I expected to find the issue; however, after they replaced the MAF sensor last June it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
Since you just get gas, go and twist your gas cap until it click. This can be the issue for that symptom.

If that does not help, you can try to pull code via OBD.

Did you drive your car into some flooded street, splashing water or water crossing recently?

I just got exact same symptom, and the cause almost cost me $700. Luckily my dealer step in for one time good will to fix it. My issue is with the flooded street, water splashing and suck into the filter for the evap canister. Part $160, labor $450 plus hose and tax.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,042 Posts
Could be anything. We need the DTC.

In the early days, when Subaru was using us '14 and and some '15 FXT owners as guinea pigs for their new engine, several ECM updates were put out to combat symptoms similar to what you describe. I had a couple of ECM updates performed for hard/rough-starting, and then at least one other one when I lost all power accelerating on an on-ramp, combined with some pretty heavy knocking!

Could also be a loose fuel cap

Could be bad fuel.

Without that code, we'd only be guessing...

Reactions: jdac85

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
287 Posts
My only thought is that your vehicle is doing this, it's likely going into limp mode because it's learned a major problem. Limp mode is trying to avoid damage and it's throwing every light at you possible to indicate a problem, not because it wants you to reset the ECU and pretend the issue isn't still there.

In my experience, these sort of limp events don't just fix themselves. I would say take it in immediately. Even if there's no lights yet, there could be pending codes.
To my brain los of power only means one thing. Something is very wrong. That said I have only experienced this 3 times in my life and never with my 17 fxt. all essentialy could have been avoided in different ways.

1st time. My brother lossend the pos terminal on my battery on my old 1990 suburban... it popped off while going down a steep & bumpy hill... the truck shut off totally. Even lost power steering and brakes... it was exciting! My brother ( not in the car st the time ) found it hilarious. This is was actually a shared family vehicle.

2nd time. 2001 bmw r1200c (motorcycle) was on hwy 1 in between Santa Cruz and S.F. In the middle of the night...The clutch let go... engine made power just didn’t get to the road

3rd time 2005 Land Rover LR3... went into limp mode after the air suspension completely collapsed and wouldn’t go more then like 15 miles an hour... there where other codes but my mechanic said it all started from the suspension issue...

4th time (didn’t actually happen when I was driving) my brother was driving that old shared Sub back from a road trip. Failed to check trans fluid while he had it (it was a month long cross country deal with his friends). Seized the trans and which the engine DID NOT LIKE and put a window bottom of the block. He was stuck in Tahoe and we had to get him and the truck shipped back... he took a plane truck took a truck.

So yeah just like @Scooby24 , I’d go right to a mechanic, no I’d have it flat bedded there... but I’m a little over sensitive to these types of things....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same car, almost same mileage, almost same situation. I was just under 1/4 tank, cruise control on at 70 on the highway. Forester stayed on but rapidly lost engine power, RPMs were briefly up to 4k almost like the transmission had gone into neutral or was seriously slipped, and I had all of the other symptoms. Shut the car off on the side of the highway and couldn't restart. After calling for a tow I tried again and it started fine with no CEL on after the restart. Hoping maybe OP has an update as I'm literally in the middle of a 15 hour trip and would love to know if there were random recurrences.

Hello, I looked around on here but didn't see anything so hopefullly I am not repeating an issue. 2015 Forester 2.0 XT Turbo with 56,000 miles. We were low on gas, I filled it up and as we were driving the engine started to lose power, I gave it more gas and it seemed to clear up. About 100 miles later while driving on the freeway it started to happen again. This time the check emission light, check vehicle dynamics light, check hill start light all came on. The vehicle was in I mode in the transmisssion but the S light started to blink. We made it safely to a parking lot at an exit. I turned the car off, disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and then reconnected it. Turned the car back on and it has been fine ever since, about 150 miles driven to date. The warning lights have all turned off. I have an appointment in a few weeks to have the 60,000 service done. Anyone else experience this or have other thoughts before I take it in and speak to the service advisor?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a '14 Forester XT Touring, 60k miles. Driving on the highway, 80 mph, sudden loss of acceleration, no response from the pedal whatsoever. Managed to get to the shoulder and tried throwing it into mano-matic and back to drive, which much to my surprise restored acceleration. When I lost acceleration my check engine light and hill control light came on. I also had just filled it up from almost completely empty. Another thing that I see was mentioned above is that my engine certainly came into significant contact with water, as it was detailed (including the engine bay) before I left the dealership with it, 25 minutes prior to the incident. So after talking to my salesman, he says "It was likely that my detailer got water in your engine." Seems kind of unlikely to cause this to me but I am really not a car guy. Anywho, this all sounds awfully similar to the experiences described above, and I was wondering what your outcomes were.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 about 60k miles out forester under warranty started bogging out as well right from acceleration. all the same lights went off as described. dealer charged $100 for some type of reset. 3 days later I'm back at subaru this time it did it while going 40mph. noticed that upon start up engine shook more than normal but they cant seem to figure it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts