Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a few of those small m6 bolts and nuts that are used to hold the heat shields mid way and to the front of the exhaust/cat. I see that heat shields cover access to the thermostat, so I want to replace all of those m6 fasteners.

I replaced one and it broke just as it came out. I’d like to avoid future problems with rusted bolts on all of the exhaust components. Right now, it’s the small m6 nuts and bolts that are rusted.

Does anyone have a diagram of the exhaust system and heat shields that they can share? Thanks so much

2015 Forester 2.5i Limited cvt

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I downloaded the FSM a few weeks ago. There are some fasteners and parts that don’t show up in Google diagrams.

PS: Better to use hot dipped galvanized fasteners than SS. Galvanic corrosion between SS and certain metals. I also started using hi temp paint under the car and pre painting replacement fasteners.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use anti seize. I have around 7 different type from DuPont Molykote and others. They all have their specific applications. Great for threads but not bolt heads.

I don’t see any salt or much snow, so any rust is light surface. The exhaust system will rust from the inside, but very slowly.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
161 Posts
We do a lot of short trip driving in our small town so I always drill a 1/8" hole in the lowest point of the muffler to keep condensate drained out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I’m not sure that this will keep moisture out in general. Condensates are inside the entire length and in a long time, our Subaru exhaust system will eventually deteriorate no matter what we do. Salt is the ultimate enemy though. It will rot the exhaust system from the outside in. YMMV. Geography dependent.

But if your drilled hole works, ....awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts