Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having my 2015 serviced at the dealer where I bought it (AutoNation Roseville), they had been using genuine Subaru filters (blue) and just the other day I noticed that it had a black oil filter, in pink and white it says, "Precision Parts" on it! Why is a Subaru dealer using anything but Subaru brand parts? I'm pissed that the dealer where I bought Gold Service/Extended Warranty is cheaping out and apparently hoping I wouldnt' notice! Usually I talk with the dealer first, but this is infuriating and I may just call SOA first! :lildevil:

Searching finds not much reference to it, except it's made in damn China! Copy/pasted from ebay:

Country/Region of Manufacture: China Brand:
Precision Parts
Manufacturer Part Number:
Fitment Type: Direct Replacement
UPC:

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, possibly not worse than junk Fram filters. Sad that the dealer is doing this, cheap bastages.

I've read that filter is better and holds more oil due to slightly larger diameter? Made in Japan or? Will it fit 2015 FB25 engines with the filter up top and the raised lip around the filter?

Wix Gold were one of the best if not the best filter several years ago.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
If you are concerned, replace the dealer provided with an OEM or other filter. Your filter is on top of engine (I believe), so this should be clean and easy. IMO, if the dealer is providing a certain brand of filter, they will stand behind the filter's performance. While I am particular about the filter(s) I use, I have a hard time believing you are doing any damage to your car with the filter in question.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
112 Posts
On Ebay I noticed they sell 2 of those oil filters for $11.65, with free shipping. I'm surprised that a dealership would use non-OEM oil filters on cars they sell and service. I wouldn't worry too much about them being made in China, though. Most stuff is nowadays, including brand-name vehicle parts.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,705 Posts
What makes you think Fram doesn't make that one as well? :)
Exactly. The Fram Ultra is among the very best filters out there. Silicon antidrainback valve and full synthetic media. I have it in my '18 XT

·
Registered
2018 Forester
158 Posts
I use Amsoil 0-20w and their extended oil filter.
They also have an excellent oil filter.
Amsoil recomends the 0-20w and their filter.
AMSOIL Ea® Oil Filters (EAO, EA15K) feature advanced full-synthetic media that traps and holds a greater amount of small, wear-causing contaminants compared to conventional filters. They provide extended service intervals for increased convenience, while helping reduce engine wear.

Absolute Efficiency
Efficiency is the filter's ability to capture contaminants. The more efficient a filter is, the more contaminants it will remove from the oil. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have one of the best efficiency ratings in the automotive/light-truck market. Ea Oil Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 20 microns, while competitive filters demonstrate efficiencies as low as 51 percent (see graph).

Less Restriction
Proper oil flow is essential to keeping engine parts lubricated at all times. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters' synthetic fibers are smaller than the fibers used in traditional filters, allowing Ea Oil Filters to provide lower restriction. During cold-temperature warm-up periods, an Ea Oil Filter allows the oil to flow through the filter more easily than a typical cellulose filter does. Lower restriction decreases engine wear.

Contaminant Retention
A filter's capacity refers to the amount of contaminants it can hold and still remain effective. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have a greater capacity for small, wear-causing contaminants than competing filter lines. They last longer and ensure the oil is properly filtered.

Superior Construction
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are made with premium-grade full-synthetic media. The strictly controlled processing of this media ensures accurate filter construction and is what allows Ea Oil Filters to deliver higher capacity and efficiency along with better durability.

Ea Oil Filters' full-synthetic media technology is resin-free to resist degradation from hot oil. It uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior strength.

Ea Oil Filters are constructed with HNBR gaskets that are fully tested to extreme distances in numerous severe environments. They feature fully tucked seams, a molded element seal, roll-formed threads and a long-lasting, premium-grade silicone anti-drainback valve.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I could replace it very easily, but the DEALER shouldn't be using non-genuine filter unless it's better than stock and I don't like supporting China with money either.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes, I could replace it very easily, but the DEALER shouldn't be using non-genuine filter unless it's better than stock and I don't like supporting China with money either.
Take issue up with dealer. You got a lot of great advice here. Without accepting it, your last resort is talking to dealer service adviser. Dealer can use any part they want, so long as they stand behind it. Their oil change dept. might not be directly affiliated with Subaru. Some dealers oil change service is no different than taking car to a Jiffy Lube.

My local Subaru dealer sells OEM filters at the parts dept. No idea what they use for customer oil changes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I am taking it up with the dealer, just giving heads up to everyone (wasn't really asking advice) that not all dealers are doing as they should regardless of what they 'can' do. They used Subaru filters for years and suddenly change without any mention of it, cutting corners increasing their profit and still charging prices like the dealer. Too many Jiffy Lube like service too lol.

Yep.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Why is a Subaru dealer using anything but Subaru brand parts?
I attempted to address this. I do understand your frustration, especially with paying for the warranty/service contract. On a positive note, you did notice right away and have documented the issue. Any future issue should be covered, IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
873 Posts
Do you and ADC think that Japanese Roki filters might be made by Fram?
No idea about those in particular but at a trade show once I was talking to the Fram reps for some clarification on exactly which filter to use for a specific application and they did tell me they made the OEM filters for Subaru.

There are videos on YouTube where people cut filters apart and examine the insides. I've watched a bunch but don't need to spend more time doing that. There is some private labelling going on for many filters.

I used to use the orange Fram filters but now there's a new Subaru dealership much closer to my home so I just use the OEM one now because the price is almost the same. I just buy them one at a time, a couple times a year.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
287 Posts
Yes, I am taking it up with the dealer, just giving heads up to everyone (wasn't really asking advice) that not all dealers are doing as they should regardless of what they 'can' do. They used Subaru filters for years and suddenly change without any mention of it, cutting corners increasing their profit and still charging prices like the dealer. Too many Jiffy Lube like service too lol.

Yep.
i know what you mean, you pay the extra and go out of your way for the genuine and wind up getting bing,bang, boom next.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
1 Posts
I just had my '18 Forester serviced at an Autonation Subaru dealer here in Norcal. I noticed the same switch from the Subaru branded filter to the Precision Parts filter (marked "made in china"). Precision Parts is an Autonation brand. I will be speaking with the service adviser to understand why they are making the change without informing their customers. It could be a great filter but I have no idea. Disappointed.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,731 Posts
Did you and the OP (Natedog) go to the same NorCal Subaru dealer?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
453 Posts
I don't like our local Autonation dealer, which sells Honda. My wife had an Accord until she recently bought a Forester. I got so mad at the Autonation service department regarding what I consider shady practices, that I had to quit using them. Maybe it's corporate policy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts