Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the FSM for a 2015 Forester, specifically looking at the cvtf and valve body replacement procedure. Nowhere could I find anything about a relearn procedure for either.

Is the relearn really necessary and was it added later as an addendum?

I’ve seen a YT video showing the relearn after a VB replacement and have gotten confirmation from SOA. But it’s curious that it’s not in my FSM. Has anyone seen it in their FSM?

· Registered
2019 Forester Limited
2,002 Posts
The FSM for my '19 calls for the relearn procedure. I can't speak to the necessity of doing it, or if the transmission would eventually relearn on its own. Would be nice to know, since there's no way for folks without Subaru Select to do a relearn.

Occasionally I encounter a TSB on the NHTSA website for my 2019 that documents changes to the factory service manual. It would be tedious, but you could go there and see if there was ever a change to the 2015 manual for a CVT relearn. That, or pay $35 and grab a fresh copy of the manual from Subaru?

· Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SOA did write back and say that a relearn is definitely needed for CVt parts like the VB.
a relearn only takes 5 minutes but the dealership wants to tack it on for drain/fills. Not necessary for cvtf drain and fills.

· Registered
2015 Forester CVT
766 Posts
I was looking through the FSM for a 2015 Forester, specifically looking at the cvtf and valve body replacement procedure. Nowhere could I find anything about a relearn procedure for either.

Is the relearn really necessary and was it added later as an addendum?

I’ve seen a YT video showing the relearn after a VB replacement and have gotten confirmation from SOA. But it’s curious that it’s not in my FSM. Has anyone seen it in their FSM?
IMHO, the best relearn procedure is to just drive the car and not obsess over it.

GD

· Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
502 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Theseus161

· Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOA did write back and say that a relearn is definitely needed for CVt parts like the VB.
a relearn only takes 5 minutes but the dealership wants to tack it on for drain/fills. Not necessary for cvtf drain and fill procedure.
thanks @CO17Forester

· Registered
18 Forester Limited 19 Forester Premium
977 Posts
But is there a way to initiate CVT learning mode without SSM4?

· Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt it very much. You would need some type of scan tool AFA I know. I would love to be wrong on this one.

· Registered
2019 Forester Limited
2,002 Posts
But is there a way to initiate CVT learning mode without SSM4?
No. The shop manual provides alternate workarounds to a few SSM4 procedures, but unfortunately, not for the CVT relearn. Referring to my 2019 manual.

I’ve not heard of a way to conduct relearn with some other scan device.

· Registered
18 Forester Limited 19 Forester Premium
977 Posts
I have Techstream for my Toyota vehicles running on an older dedicated laptop that doesn't connect to the internet or do virus scans (don't ask...) and a Mongoose-like dongle. It's great for doing this kind of advanced work. I even got into the security side, making a Smart Key from a cheap ebay buy for the push-to-start ignition and door access.

Unfortunately, when I looked into Honda HDS or SSM4, I just couldn't get up the incentive to try and make it work or tackle the learning curve required.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts