Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 outback sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2015 (purchased June of 2014) Forester is making a clicking noise on deceleration. No brakes applied, coasting to a stop. It starts around 25MPH and stops at around 10MPH. If I put in neutral the noise stops. If I put it back in gear, the noise often doesn't come back (maybe because I've gone below the 10 MPH mark). I've read different threads on different years and models of Subaru. Some it happens on acceleration, some say wheel bearings or CV joints/boots, or even the diffs. I've read threads on getting that diff fluid changed frequently. I'm only at 30K miles, but will give that a go if I don't get any more info here. I'm really thinking its the CVT, but my exact issue doesn't seem to be any where, so I'm here asking.

The noise is a light clicking. Imagine putting it in park while still moving. Now imagine that much softer and higher pitched. It's decent rate of speed and is linked to vehicle speed (not engine speed). It seems to be affecting the engine braking by creating more drag in the system. I slow down a lot faster than if I put it in neutral. These are all at low speeds so I cant be certain, but remembering from before the noise started, it seems to be slowing down faster.

Hope my description is clear enough to get a diagnosis.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,459 Posts
Welcome, @jwrezz !

If you can reproduce it at will, I'd bring it to a dealer and ask for one of the techs (or whomever) to ride with you to hear the noise - if that's even possible.

Since you have a 100K-mile/10-year warranty on the CVT, it might be worth your effort to at least get the noise officially logged - whether or not something is found right away.

Mike

·
Registered
2006 outback sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have my outback in for some exhaust work when we get that back, I'll take hers to the dealer. Good to know about the 10/100k warranty!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,459 Posts
You're welcome!

You should have received a letter from Subaru informing you (or your wife) of the extended CVT warranty. My wife received hers in July 2017.

Mike

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
448 Posts
Wheel bearings going bad sounds like a hint of maraca shaking gets progressively worse as you speed up. It never sounds like a ticking sound.

Will be great if you can record the sound and share the audio file.

Pls update once its resolved.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
396 Posts
Your driveline is covered whether you received the letter or not.

They only blackball you when they have your car listed in the system as mine is. "Heavily Modified"

Oddly enough I went to speak with the service manager to ask him if they would diagnose my transmission issue. I was totally honest with him and did not come across like it was a warranty issue.
He thanked me looked up my car. Saw that they did a transmission service for me and that my car was listed as heavily modified. They wouldn't even look at it!

Now regarding the thread topic:
Wheel bearings are a growling sound. It's pretty much omnipresent, but you notice it much more at lower speeds. I actually have an odd clicking sound that was coming from my front diff.

How many miles? Have you serviced the diffs? Have you topped off your CVT fluid?
I am making the assumption that this is an NA Forester. Your CVT was probably low on fluid when you purchased it. This is one of the reasons they had to extend the drivetrain warranty...
It's a well known issue that just about all of their NA vehicles with they regular CVT that were sold in the U.S. before 2018 came from the factory with low fluid. Usually 1/2-1 quart. Not enough to make a huge difference at first, but once you get some miles on it...

I wish you luck. Definitely take it to the dealer and have them figure it out on their dime! ;)

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
Where did you read this low cvt fluid in NA SUBARU’s in the USA?
The Forester is built in Japan. What is your source of information?

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
396 Posts
Where did you read this low cvt fluid in NA SUBARU’s in the USA?
The Forester is built in Japan. What is your source of information?

Umm I'm on my third Forester. I think I'm pretty aware All Subaru's are made in Japan!
And, I didn't say it was only NA. I am only aware of NA so that is what I stated.
If you want I can email my contact at MRT in Australia about it.
If you are not familiar with them they are the company that was rebuilding the standard Subaru CVT's in 2015/2016 when every dealer in NA said you can't rebuild them they have to be replaced as a complete unit.

There are no service bulletins or recall orders. As with every other auto manufacturer if they don't think they are going to get popped for actual safety violations they just roll with it.
Someone comes in under warranty because their transmission seems to be doing odd things the dealer does a trans service which includes flushing and filling the system, and poof problem is gone!
Now to be fair. This is by no means a rampant industry conspiracy. Manufacturers for the most part error on the side of caution compared to the 70's. But, remember we're still dealing with the Takata airbag fiasco!
If you want to find out more search it on the NA Subaru Forum. Or just go to all the local Subaru dealers in your area and speak with the service managers/writers/techs.

It only applies to the non-turbo version of the CVT from the information gleaned over two years ago.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
969 Posts
Your CVT was probably low on fluid when you purchased it. This is one of the reasons they had to extend the drivetrain warranty...
It's a well known issue that just about all of their NA vehicles with they regular CVT that were sold in the U.S. before 2018 came from the factory with low fluid. Usually 1/2-1 quart. Not enough to make a huge difference at first, but once you get some miles on it...
There were 3 service bulletins - TSB ID #WTJ-70, WTJ-70A and WTJ-70R - for low CVT fluid levels in some MY 2017 N/A Foresters, as I understand it only a few hundred made in mid 2016 were affected, not all CVTs.

See the 2017 Forester CVT Low Fluid Level Recall thread for more

1 - 10 of 10 Posts