Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GF has a 2015 2.5L Forester with 70k miles that she bought new. She's been complaining about some noises that have developed recently, mostly a whining noise at highway speed (especially going downhill) and a rattle at lower speeds when under acceleration. The whine seems consistent with CVT noise to me, not so sure about the rattle.

She wanted to get it checked out by the dealer since the CVT warranty was extended to 100k miles. She made an appointment for this morning but when she took it in they told her that if they couldn't replicate the noise, or if it was unrelated to the CVT, she'd be on the hook for a minimum $300 charge. She didn't want to risk it so she didn't leave the car there.

Not sure how to proceed. I haven't done a ton of research, but I've seen threads about folks saying their dealer replaced their CVT based on similar complaints. I thought it would at least be a good idea to get it documented in case problems continue to develop as we get closer to the 100k warranty window.

Location is San Jose, CA

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Clearly they think your betters is apushover..

Start off with a front and rear differential drain and a drain fill of new CVT fluid- but go to a different dealer for those maintenance services.

You could also buy the CVT fluid at the (different) dealer and take it to an established ASE certified independent with good local reviews. The diffs aren't too particular about lube other than it is synthetic gl5 75w90.

Also call to complain to Suby Corporate about the first stealer wanting to charge 300 bucks for a test drive to verify a symptom.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
925 Posts
GF has a 2015 2.5L Forester with 70k miles that she bought new. She's been complaining about some noises ...

She wanted to get it checked out by the dealer since the CVT warranty was extended to 100k miles. She made an appointment for this morning but when she took it in they told her that if they couldn't replicate the noise, or if it was unrelated to the CVT, she'd be on the hook for a minimum $300 charge. She didn't want to risk it so she didn't leave the car there.

Not sure how to proceed.
Get your phone and/or camera to take a video sound clip and listen to it. Can you hear it? If so take the recording and the car to the dealer. As far as the $300 charge, yipes, but she's in the high rent district of California - and noise issues have got to be any dealer's nightmare. I wouldn't take my car in to a repair place for noise issues unless I could document the noise someway. my $0.02

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
448 Posts
Start off with a front and rear differential drain and a drain fill of new CVT fluid- but go to a different dealer for those maintenance services.

You could also buy the CVT fluid at the (different) dealer and take it to an established ASE certified independent with good local reviews. The diffs aren't too particular about lube other than it is synthetic gl5 75w90.
Are you sure replacing CVT fluid would be a good idea? Subaru claims its a lifetime fluid (a joke, I know) but what you replace and they claim its because you replaced it? I am aware of the Magnuson -Moss act. Not too sure how all fits together if it comes to a warranty claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is drain/fill of CVT fluid known to address noise issues? Makes sense that it would, just wanted to confirm.

Also, have there been documented changes to the CVT design since model year 2015?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
Cvt complaints are covered by the warranty per SOA. Free inspection for customer concerns, so the dealership should check this problem without charge. I don’t know what the cvt inspection involves but it would be a good thing to document. This is the first step in the cvt extended warranty claim tsb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts