Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at 55,000 miles the tranny went south & the dealership replaced it under warranty. Upon replacement the tech found that the torque converter was also bad. My question is after the factory transmission has been replaced with the torque converter, has anyone had the problem reoccur?

Thanks to All of you

Forester Gump

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
@2015Gumpdriver Would you by chance be the same "Forester Gump" from Canada that hasn't visited since 2011 and had a 2007 Forester Columbia?

If not then:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Curious what your symptoms were before replacement?

My CVT was replaced at 8,000 miles, and have 24K on the new unit with zero issues. Much lower mileage than your original but no issues from the dealer installation at least. I think my original torque converter remained when the CVT was replaced but I am not familiar with their arrangement to know if they are one unit or separate pieces.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Well at 55,000 miles the tranny went south & the dealership replaced it under warranty. Upon replacement the tech found that the torque converter was also bad. My question is after the factory transmission has been replaced with the torque converter, has anyone had the problem reoccur?
Anytime an automatic tranny dies, the torque converter should always be replaced, no way you'll ever fully flush the crap and debris out, plus the tiny bearings in there could have been worn excessively from the tiny metal particles. Done properly the problem should not recur, assuming new tranny is good. I'd be fine with a dealer replaced CVT.

Curious what your symptoms were before replacement?

My CVT was replaced at 8,000 miles, and have 24K on the new unit with zero issues. Much lower mileage than your original but no issues from the dealer installation at least.
Yes, I'd like to know the symptoms too please.

Wow that's early, ouch! What happened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Letting everyone know that the torque converter that came with the new tranny was machined wrong so that was the issue. The dealership we going to replace both but the new torque converter was bad.
I picked it up today had a smell of hot coolant, hoping it is just from where they had to pull the lines to the tranny it self.
They also reprogrammed the computer. Car drives differently,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok got my Forester back 2 weeks ago. My mileage is down by about 2.5 mpg. Has anyone else had this issue after the tranny was replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The symptoms were a squeal at first thought it was a wheel bearing. Then I was getting off the expressway and heard a grinding sound. Took it to the dealer they diagnosed the tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts