Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went for a pretty long run. The temperature outside is around 30*C (86*F), and the trip was mostly 80-120 kmph (49-74 mph), speed wise. As a habit I mostly drive in S#. As the trip was coming to the end I stopped at a Stop Light, and when I started taking off the RPM would keep climbing but the gears were not changing. I found this odd, but presumed my foot my have been slacking or something.

So the S# was showing 1 while the RPMs were climbing past 5K before it shifted into second. The shifts were pretty jerky till it eventually started puling.

I did few more tests and the results are the same. Hanging RPMs in S and S#. S# feels normal once it starts going. S seems to feel sluggy like power is being cut.

My car is a 2015 XT. It's sitting so far at 103,000 KM (64K miles). The CVT fluid change was done by a Subaru Dealer at 90K Km (56K miles).

Any suggestions? Did my CVT ended up running to hot today? The whole trip was about 3-4 hours of pretty constant driving, and the roads was pretty uphill most of the time.

Edit: I crawled under. There is no sweating around CVT pan. Only oil I see is where CVT joins the front part, near Front Dif Drain Plug. But the oil is brownish and there isnt much of it. I have more oil spots under my car in places where there is nothing, since I had my car rust proofed last year by Krown. So there is still oil here and there. But yeah, no oil on CVT pan or around CVT drain plug.

UPDATED:
('14-'18) - 2015 - CVT acting strange - Engine...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,148 Posts
The obvious answer is to take it to the dealer. There is something wrong.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The obvious answer is to take it to the dealer. There is something wrong.
Yes, that's pretty obvious. But wanted to do some diagnostics. After talking with a buddy of mine who has 15 WRX, we came to a conclusion that the there is Slippage in the CVT. It's unfortunate that it came to this, but I think my CVT is pretty much throwing a flag at this point. I let it cool down and it was still acting up the same. So yeah, gonna call Subaru tomorrow and see what they will say.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
The good news is any CVT repair is on Subaru's dime..
"CVT Warranty Enhancement Program on certain 2010 to 2018 model year vehicles for a period of 10 years/160,000km's (whichever comes first) from the date it was sold to the first retail purchaser at an authorized Subaru Dealer in Canada.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is any CVT repair is on Subaru's dime..
"CVT Warranty Enhancement Program on certain 2010 to 2018 model year vehicles for a period of 10 years/160,000km's (whichever comes first) from the date it was sold to the first retail purchaser at an authorized Subaru Dealer in Canada.
Yeah. I ran my VIN and my car is covered under the Warranty. Since I'm sitting at 2015 so less then 10 Years, and it's 103,000 KM so less then 160,000kms. Good thing they cover both CVT and Torque Convertor. It might be the TC that's going. But it's funky, I called in and everyone was happy to charge me $125.00 + HST and be like "But tech has to get paid." so people who work there dont seem to know much about the CVT Warranty :)

I don't think it's the FA20DIT going. Since the engine is as happy as always, just freaking tranny is barely going even in I mode, so 3-4 rpm in I and barely doing 40-50kmph, not to mention thats pretty high on RPMs

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just sitting today and kind of wondering what are the odd's that what I think is my CVT going is actually the FA20DIT going. See the reason for this is back in the day I had a 2002 Suzuki SV 650S, just before my engined seized I had similar problem. RPM's != actual speed. But granted on my Suzuki I heard a loud clank few days prior to the engine dying.

Now I try to do some research to figure out what are some Symptoms of a bad FA20 and did not find much. As far as it goes I don't hear any knocking from the Engine.

What are some tell tale signs of FA20DIT going bad? I'm kind of concerned since I did not do my Walnut blasting and my car is at 103,000 Km

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,734 Posts
it might help if you explain what your current symptoms are...?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it might help if you explain what your current symptoms are...?
Ah sorry. I left a link to my other post regarding CVT.

It all started yesterday. I went for a pretty long ride, and was going back home. Then after taking off from the lights in S# mode the RPM's would climb to 5-6K and then shift. The shift was pretty jerky. This continued into 2nd, 3rd and so on till 6. With each shift jerk getting less and less. But 1st and 2nd the jerking was pretty nifty.

So I though I overheated the CVT, so I let it cool down and went under the car. There were no visible leaks from CVT pan and drain plug. So again I put it away till today.

Today I took it for a spin. Same deal, the car sits in around 3K in Normal mode, barely doing 40-50 kmph. In S# you get the 5K+ rpm shifts which jerking. Less then yesterday but still jerking quite noticeably.

Turbo does not seem to be making odd noises, but there is some possible grinding. Again I'm not sure if it's engine or CVT. But there was some oilily metallic smell, this is with Windows closed and no AC/Fan.

I was just sitting today and it reminded me of how my Suzuki engine died, granted that Engine was messed up badly. But similar problems High RPM's with no power. In this case it may be the CVT or TQ that went, probably the TQ that died since from my understanding Subaru's TQ are utter trash.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,734 Posts
Remember that S# is 'sport' mode and would hold the "gear" longer before "shifting" to the next "gear" - I use the "quotes" because a CVT has no gears it's just pulleys and a band and the distance between the pulleys is what gives you "gears".

So in that sport mode, shifts will be sharper, and at a higher RPM. If you're hotfooting it and driving/accelerating fast, that would lead to the "shifts" being held as moving from "gear" to "gear". As a side note, I had a pal that I had to explain how a CVT drives - by taking a spin at lower RPM and you never felt a "shift" but then keeping it floored, you feel the "SHIFT".

Have you had the CVT serviced ever? May be have a CVT service done? Not sure how hard you drive but I think that there are some maintenance requirements for the CVT based on usage, miles and more.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember that S# is 'sport' mode and would hold the "gear" longer before "shifting" to the next "gear" - I use the "quotes" because a CVT has no gears it's just pulleys and a band and the distance between the pulleys is what gives you "gears".

So in that sport mode, shifts will be sharper, and at a higher RPM. If you're hotfooting it and driving/accelerating fast, that would lead to the "shifts" being held as moving from "gear" to "gear". As a side note, I had a pal that I had to explain how a CVT drives - by taking a spin at lower RPM and you never felt a "shift" but then keeping it floored, you feel the "SHIFT".

Have you had the CVT serviced ever? May be have a CVT service done? Not sure how hard you drive but I think that there are some maintenance requirements for the CVT based on usage, miles and more.
Well I had the car for over 1 year now. I drive in S# 80% of the time, so there wasn't any changes in my driving or the way my foot operated the pedal. And this isn't restricted to S#, both S and I seem to be retarded. In "I" the car generally drives below 2K RPM so around 1.5K, however today driving it was pretty much 2.5-3K driving at 40-50 Kmph. Again should not be like that at all.

As far as maintenance goes, Diff Fluids were inspected at 90K (Km) and the CVT Fluid was changed at 90K (Km). So as far as that goes all is good on my part.

Here is a video, this isn't my car, but that's how my Tec looks like
the RPM's climb past 5K before shifting. Again this isn't my first time riding the car, so I could tell right away something was off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you try to see if any code set from ecm ?
i think that's where i would start if no code see if you can tell if fluid is ok i know you said they serviced not too long a go but i would check it to see if it's enough in there dealer is not always right sometime's they do bad job's too if no code and have good fluid you need to have you'r tranny serviced and i don't think it's good idea to drive #S on high speed too long sorry to hear that's happening it suck's

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
304 Posts
Edit: I crawled under. There is no sweating around CVT pan. Only oil I see is where CVT joins the front part, near Front Dif Drain Plug. But the oil is brownish and there isnt much of it. I have more oil spots under my car in places where there is nothing, since I had my car rust proofed last year by Krown. So there is still oil here and there. But yeah, no oil on CVT pan or around CVT drain plug.
The fact you have oil underneath there means you also need to have this CVT oil pump chain cover leak serviced as per TSB. I had mine done twice by the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have you try to see if any code set from ecm ?
i think that's where i would start if no code see if you can tell if fluid is ok i know you said they serviced not too long a go but i would check it to see if it's enough in there dealer is not always right sometime's they do bad job's too if no code and have good fluid you need to have you'r tranny serviced and i don't think it's good idea to drive #S on high speed too long sorry to hear that's happening it suck's
Hi, sorry did not get email notifications so bit late to the party. I have a basic ODB reader tool, there is no codes on the reader nor is Subaru trowing any codes around. I don't know about the S# once I have clear road I just set cruise control and whola.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fact you have oil underneath there means you also need to have this CVT oil pump chain cover leak serviced as per TSB. I had mine done twice by the dealer.
Well this is a bit tricky one. Last TSB they did was rear coils about a month back, as far as I'm aware there is nothing else on my car. The oil is tricky since I did have KROWN rust proof the thing so there is still oil in different places on the frame, so I don't know if this is a CVT leaking somewhere or its just leftover oil from KROWN.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
304 Posts
If you have a leak, you should be able to see it on the front differential drain plug. The rust proofing should not be on the engine.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have a leak, you should be able to see it on the front differential drain plug. The rust proofing should not be on the engine.
No, no. There is no sweating or leaks around CVT drain plug or around the CVT pan, only oil I seen is towards the engine where the CVT hooks up to something else.

Here is an image, it's not from my car but I outlined in red with two arrows where I have a bit of oil.

Again this is very odd or I'm going insane. The car drives okay, however when some condition is met it will be less responsive.

So what I noticed as of late is that in I/S/S# the RPM's tend to stay in around 2K rpms, it also seems to be sitting more often in 3-4K rpm range as well, which results in piss poor average. Where I usually sit at 10.1 I'm getting 11.4.

This is bit annoying since technically my CVT is still under warranty but as with anything I swear I'm gonna take it to Subaru and they will tell me it's okay. So I don't even know what may be up, unless it's some position sensor that crapped out and the tranny does not know what gear to be in. Again I don't know. I'm still waiting for the 29th so that I can take my car in for inspection.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
304 Posts
Your marked area is just about where the oil pump leak will accumulate the oil.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your marked area is just about where the oil pump leak will accumulate the oil.
That sounds like a bundle of joy. Now that you say "oil" is it the pump for the engine? That would be odd since I check the engine oil level and it's pretty much optimal.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the link, but I don't think Subaru of Brampton will care much what Subaru of America says, since we are in Canada it's whatever Subaru of Canada says. I had this exact same problem when I got a TSB issued by SOA and brought in my 15 FRS into Toyota as it was suffering from "Idle Fluctuation in Park or Neutral" a common problem linked to the ECU, requiring a Re-flash. Well they looked at it and said "Yeah, but it's issued by Subaru of America" the work was still done as I had 2 months of Warranty left, otherwise it would have been something like $180 + HST.

I literally have days left till the 29th, I can't freaking wait and I really freaking hope everything goes okay. I did purchase warranty from the place I got my car from, so yey me in some regard, hopefully it's not gonna be pain in the donkey.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts