Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Subaru-Friends,

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5 with about 77.000 miles.
Today I went to the dealer to perform a couple recall/warranty repairs. When I picked it up I received a letter stating that the cam carrier is leaking oil on both sides.
They estimated this to be around $3300 to get fixed. I have never noticed any oil leaks in my garage, so not sure what to think about it?

Anybody had any problems with this before? What are your recommendations?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
Are you losing significant amounts of oil between oil changes? When Subarus had timing belts, it was a common thing to replace when the belt was done. Yours has a chain so it isn't like you need that replaced.
If oil isn't pouring out, I'd just keep an eye on oil consumption and keep driving it. 3K3 is a lot of money to stop a tiny leak. You can buy a lot of oil for that money..

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
524 Posts
... When Subarus had timing belts, it was a common thing to replace when the belt was done. ...
Hmmm... No

The cam carrier leak is essentially a valve cover leak. Subaru uses sealant for this and the failure seems pretty common. I noticed some oiling on the motor on my '12 before 50K, but never bad enough to drip. My mechanic also alerted me about it. Another reason to never use the dealer for service and they won't point out warranty work. Since they had to pull the motor to fix, and I had a 7/70 I waited until 69,900 miles to have it fixed.

If I had to pay to fix, I'd wait 'till it was an actual problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you losing significant amounts of oil between oil changes? When Subarus had timing belts, it was a common thing to replace when the belt was done. Yours has a chain so it isn't like you need that replaced.
If oil isn't pouring out, I'd just keep an eye on oil consumption and keep driving it. 3K3 is a lot of money to stop a tiny leak. You can buy a lot of oil for that money..
Not losing significant amounts of oil. Like I said, not even a drip in the garage. And I agree, that's why I asked if it is essential to fix.

The cam carrier leak is essentially a valve cover leak. Subaru uses sealant for this and the failure seems pretty common. I noticed some oiling on the motor on my '12 before 50K, but never bad enough to drip. My mechanic also alerted me about it. Another reason to never use the dealer for service and they won't point out warranty work. Since they had to pull the motor to fix, and I had a 7/70 I waited until 69,900 miles to have it fixed.

If I had to pay to fix, I'd wait 'till it was an actual problem.
Would this be covered under warranty? We have a 100.000 mile extended warranty.
And yes I agree, never heard them point out things they don't get paid for.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
65 Posts
It’s hard for them to get right too, I think I had to send back my 2011 to the dealer for a total of three times before the seal was right since it’s not a gasket, seems pretty common but if it’s covered in warranty then I would try and get that done, otherwise it’s not cost effective IMO (it seems even more expensive than headgaskets on the EJ25’s).
The only reason I had it done was for the FB25 oil consumption test, and there couldn’t be any leaks while testing it, thankfully mine was done under warranty

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
524 Posts
Not losing significant amounts of oil. Like I said, not even a drip in the garage. And I agree, that's why I asked if it is essential to fix.

Would this be covered under warranty? We have a 100.000 mile extended warranty.
And yes I agree, never heard them point out things they don't get paid for.

Thank you!
Yes it was covered by my 7/70 extended.
My 13 Crosstrek had the front timing chain cover seal need replacing as well. The motor was coming out for a valve spring recall, but otherwise it too would have been covered under its 7/70.

The dealer makes more $$$ on retail repairs than warranty repairs. I’ve never seen a dealer look for warranty work. So they weren’t going ask if you had an ext warranty. It’s likely they saw your car was covered but someone didn’t tell you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was covered by my 7/70 extended.
My 13 Crosstrek had the front timing chain cover seal need replacing as well. The motor was coming out for a valve spring recall, but otherwise it too would have been covered under its 7/70.

The dealer makes more $$$ on retail repairs than warranty repairs. I’ve never seen a dealer look for warranty work. So they weren’t going ask if you had an ext warranty. It’s likely they saw your car was covered but someone didn’t tell you.
Will ask the dealer. Maybe we are lucky enough and they forgot about it and waited purposely over 70/75k to inform us.
And if not. Well I guess I have to wait until it becomes a real problem.

THANKS!

·
Registered
09 forester
230 Posts
My dealer always pointed out issues when the car was in the factory and extended warranty. I would take them in just for a multipoint inspection. They don't care, its cash in the bank for the service department. On my 08 Outback, they pointed out rear shocks, and control arm bushings

·
Registered
2011 Forester Ltd 2.5
31 Posts
Some of you have better dealers than I do. I had an extended warranty. My dealership waited until the first time I took it in for routine maintenance AFTER my warranty expired to point this out. I have a 2011 and there was a service memo sent out about this issue 5 years prior to the warranty expiration. So they had five years to check it. Did anyone check it while I was still covered? Of course not.

Anyway, my estimate was close to yours: $3,400. It wasn't even dripping when they first brought it to my attention, though now it is... very slowly. I check the oil every couple weeks, and I barely ever have to add oil. I think I added 1/2 a quart before my last oil change. So, while the small oil stain on my drive is annoying, no I'm not going to spend $3,400 to have this fixed. (And if I did want to fix it, I would go to an independent mechanic who would probably charge me half.)

Regarding the service department not caring, because it's cash for them either way: don't they make less under pricing agreements under warranty than they do charging the customer directly?

·
Registered
2011 forester manual
10 Posts
Some of you have better dealers than I do. I had an extended warranty. My dealership waited until the first time I took it in for routine maintenance AFTER my warranty expired to point this out. I have a 2011 and there was a service memo sent out about this issue 5 years prior to the warranty expiration. So they had five years to check it. Did anyone check it while I was still covered? Of course not.

Anyway, my estimate was close to yours: $3,400. It wasn't even dripping when they first brought it to my attention, though now it is... very slowly. I check the oil every couple weeks, and I barely ever have to add oil. I think I added 1/2 a quart before my last oil change. So, while the small oil stain on my drive is annoying, no I'm not going to spend $3,400 to have this fixed. (And if I did want to fix it, I would go to an independent mechanic who would probably charge me half.)

Regarding the service department not caring, because it's cash for them either way: don't they make less under pricing agreements under warranty than they do charging the customer directly?

·
Registered
2011 forester manual
10 Posts
Dealership told me I had a similar leak on my 2011 Forester. Unfortunately, they said it wasn't covered. I had the engine block replaced at 60,000 miles under warranty (oil use) and I thought the warranty was extended, but guess not to 106,000 I have on the car now. Mine appears to be leaking slightly, but it's just one more nail in the coffin for Subaru.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This ended up being under warranty (I had to specifically ask) and will get fixed this weekend. Thanks so much for pointing out that this was covered under warranty! You guys ROCK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have same issue with my 2015 Forester 2.5, already have 120k miles on it and dealer said would cost $3.3K to fix it. The dealer mechanic told me it's not worth it to reseal it, but to keep an eye on the oil level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts