Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read threads that indicate bug deflectors are not compatible for SJ Foresters with eyesight. Out of curiosity, has anyone with the Subaru eyesight system actually attempted to drive around with a bug deflector? Im so curious as to what actually happens.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
LOL really sudden stops!! I dont remember anyone trying it and posting results.. Eye Sight is pretty sensitive to object in the road but I have always wondered if the deflector would really cause issues..

brian

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The manual talks about such things and discourages front bars, aux lights, bus deflectors, etc. that are above the hood in the line of sight of the EyeSight system.

Having said that, I haven't researched the OEM rock guard they offer to see if they mention anything about their equipment interfering with EyeSight. The thing is though, the factory one is very low profile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I to am interested to find out. Parts guy at dealership said no problem for 2020 and oem but I would like to hear real world vs salesman.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
116 Posts
As a side issue for those interested in this topic, I can mention that one bug smashed on the windshield in the exact wrong place can make EyeSight blind WITHOUT the car knowing it, and with no warning message from the dashboard. This has happened to me once and only once in 58,000 miles with lots of buggy long trips, but it was quite a shock for the adaptive cruise control to NOT slow down when approaching a car ahead. Keep your windshield clean, and always look for that "following a car" symbol to show up.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed ditch lights which are above the hood and had no issues with eyesight.

Someone locally is selling a new bug deflector for $35 so I think I just might pick it up and find out.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL really sudden stops!! I dont remember anyone trying it and posting results.. Eye Sight is pretty sensitive to object in the road but I have always wondered if the deflector would really cause issues..

brian
On my 2015, its the old eyesight so it doesnt even stop or slowdown unless I am using cruise control. The old eyesight was more of an "alert" where it beeped if you were outside the lines or approaching a nearby car.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
265 Posts
I ha e a 2015 and it will slam on the brakes if needed. It will try to get you to do it first and its a last resort.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I installed ditch lights which are above the hood and had no issues with eyesight.
Probably because they are not in the EyeSight's line of sight as items on the leading edge of the hood might be, aux lights on a bumper bar, etc. The following is from the 2020 Forester Eyesight manual but likely applies to the older gen Eyesight on the 2015 as well. It might at least help you visualize what I'm talking about in regard to the line of sight:

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably because they are not in the EyeSight's line of sight as items on the leading edge of the hood might be, aux lights on a bumper bar, etc. The following is from the 2020 Forester Eyesight manual but likely applies to the older gen Eyesight on the 2015 as well. It might at least help you visualize what I'm talking about in regard to the line of sight:

View attachment 542762
Thats very helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ha e a 2015 and it will slam on the brakes if needed. It will try to get you to do it first and its a last resort.
Ive had a few close calls in my 5 years of ownership but its never happened for me. Maybe its because I was able to break in time but who knows. I guess maybe its a good thing for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts