Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i 6MT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Saturday afternoon I decided I'd stop off at my favorite place and go for a MTB ride. I parked at a different spot and didn't think about if it was a potentially shady area. I was heading to my parents', so I had my clothes, some random stuff, and my laptop. They only stole my laptop, which was in a backpack sitting behind one of my seats. Fortunately, they didn't take my wallet, which was sitting in the center console. But, they took the laptop, which has a bunch of investment application forms and my turbotax file from this year, so lots of stuff to steal my identity with.

I gotta get my window replaced. I'm wondering if you think it'll be more or less than my $500 deductible that I have with my insurance. I imagine it will be, but I don't know for sure. I've had to replace windows on my old chevy celebrity wagon when that was broken into, but those were somewhat convenient trips to the junk yard and a few hours of work. Easy to open up and replace. And it wasn't really a question.....My dad didn't want the hit on his insurance.

W/the foz, I live 2 hours from my garage and any tools. And I'm worried about things not being right if I replace the glass alone. Like, maybe the mechanism inside got tweaked. Aside from the window, the window sill is a little scratched up. Otherwise, there appears to be no damage.

I am also wondering if I should go to a dedicated glass place, like safelite, or take it to a suby dealer. I will ask my co-workers if they have any suggestions, but I know a lot of them do their own work because they don't trust many mechanics down here.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
717 Posts
@AgentH Take it to your insurance carrier. Let them tell you where to have it fixed. The insurance will also cover contents stolen - laptop.

If you haven't already report the breakin and theft to the police where it happened and get a file number on the police report. Insurance will want the police case file number. You have good photos ...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,832 Posts
It all depends on your policy of course, but many of them have separate coverage for glass and for collision. Check the fine print.

Breaking into cars at trailheads has become a problem here in New Hampshire as well.

I encrypt the tax records on my computer when I'm not using them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts