Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a major deal, but I just noticed that the driver's-side brake light is burned out. Must have happened within the last few days. Forester is ~2-years old with ~20K-miles and a CVT.

Have any of you experienced this happening so soon?

With that said, this is the first automatic-tyranny vehicle I've owned in a few decades, so maybe it's more common that I think...

Mike

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, GeoJosh!

I just saw this as my wife drove off to work. It occurred to me right after I posted that I'd better make sure that the brake light is the only one that's not working in that light-housing...

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
799 Posts
Not a major deal, but I just noticed that the driver's-side brake light is burned out. Must have happened within the last few days. Forester is ~2-years old with ~20K-miles and a CVT.

Have any of you experienced this happening so soon?

With that said, this is the first automatic-tyranny vehicle I've owned in a few decades, so maybe it's more common that I think...

Mike
Not a big deal. It's covered under the 3 years/ 36,000 miles warranty.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!

Yeah, I figured it was covered by the warranty. I have a list of dealer stuff to do, so I'll add this and make an appointment.

I did some testing when my wife got home and it is just the brake light, which is good.
@Jefferson Forester, that's pretty strange!

Mike

·
Registered
2015 Forester
54 Posts
Just had both back brake lights go out. Checking out the bulbs used, the top (tail and brake) and bottom (tail) bulbs are the same. If the brake light goes out, just switch positions on the bulbs as the bottom doesn't use the brake filament anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
559 Posts
Not a big deal. It's covered under the 3 years/ 36,000 miles warranty.
Not a big deal, you can go to the parts store and buy a bulb for a buck or two and change it. Or you can go to the dealer and waste a bunch of your time.... :)

When the first taillight burns out it's time to change them all to LED since you're taking the housing off anyway. Two years is a bit short but it happens.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't remember the details at the moment, but the same bulb burned out again about a 1.5-years later (I think). I replaced it. In a subsequent brake light switch replacement thread (in 2019), someone suggested that a faulty switch may have been the culprit, since quite a few others had the same problem. So far, so good...

Mike

·
Registered
2015 Forester
54 Posts
Not a big deal, you can go to the parts store and buy a bulb for a buck or two and change it. Or you can go to the dealer and waste a bunch of your time.... :)

When the first taillight burns out it's time to change them all to LED since you're taking the housing off anyway. Two years is a bit short but it happens.
Might want to do your homework on switching to LED's. There are warnings on the bulb packages and I have seen some stuff on the forums that on some vehicles other parts and changes are required and sometimes other things don't work right.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
54 Posts
I don't remember the details at the moment, but the same bulb burned out again about a 1.5-years later (I think). I replaced it. In a subsequent brake light switch replacement thread (in 2019), someone suggested that a faulty switch may have been the culprit, since quite a few others had the same problem. So far, so good...

Mike
Interesting. At 6 years/almost 90k, I'm not particularly concerned on my timing. Just seemed odd they both went at the same time, but have seen others with that experience. I hope it's not the brake light switch they replace on a recall about a year ago or so. That would just be dumb and annoying.
I was just trying to help out, save a couple of bucks, and a way to get by in a pinch.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,318 Posts
Does happen but not common. First time it happened on my 2001 was in 2002, just after towing a trailer from Philadelphia to Austin, TX. May have been related to trailer module or just towing the trailer. 2nd time was just the other month. Probably due to age of bulbs, ie 18 year old bulbs.....

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
559 Posts
Might want to do your homework on switching to LED's. There are warnings on the bulb packages and I have seen some stuff on the forums that on some vehicles other parts and changes are required and sometimes other things don't work right.
When the first taillight burned out, I changed my 2007 Forester to all LED except the turn signals, fog lights, and headlights. No problems except better and more-reliable lighting. Recently, I changed my 2018 Forester to 100% LED, including fog lights and turn signals (and blinker module). No problems except better and more-reliable lighting. (The car has factory LED headlamps.) I didn't wait for any bulbs to burn out on the 2018.

It's not rocket science. Sometimes you see people replace bulbs with stuff that is the wrong shape/size for the existing reflectors and lenses. That's probably the most common problem. Sometimes I see a post about other electronics not working after changing to LED. I don't give it much thought. Maybe an EMI problem from using crap bulbs. Who knows. Don't use crap, no problem.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Yeah - all of my bulbs have been replaced - either with @Diode Dynamics bulbs or other brands - I do not think I have a single incandescent bulb left on my Foz...

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
590 Posts
I wired the lower tail lamp to light with the brakes. Short jumper wire and a moment with the soldering iron. Now if one burns out, the other still lights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts