Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester L stock EJ25D automatic 4EAT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rear shocks, 2015 SJ 2.5 non-turbo FB25B, and unfortunately, KYB quick struts are not available at this time. There are no other quick struts for the SJ that are worth buying, only crap Chinese brands.

While I am aware of the coil spring recall, that would be moot with quick struts. Of course, if the springs need to be replaced, then the sensible option seems to be to get the new springs from the dealer since they're free as part of the recall, then install Bilstein. Do you think the dealer would be willing to swap the Bilstein shocks as part of the free recall? It's the same labor as putting a new spring on the old factory struts, so maybe they won't charge :sneaky:

If I can't get quick struts and need to whip out the spring compressor (which I don't have, so I'll have to get one), I am considering Bilstein.

Is there anything better than the Bilstein B6 for a daily driver? What kind of shocks do most people here use for OE replacement on a stock car?

Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't sell OEM quick struts. Honda and Ford actually sell OE quick struts at the dealer; hopefully Subaru and others will follow suit.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
7 Posts
Is definitely ask the dealer if they'd do that for you. I'd bet they would. Cusco also sells full struts but they're pricier than KYB I think.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
152 Posts
Rallitek offers quick strut with either a sport spring or an overload spring. I just installed the overload with the Bilstein struts on mine, and I like them so far.

This is what they offer for the 2015s: Rallitek assembled struts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
692 Posts
I need to replace the rear shocks, 2015 SJ 2.5 non-turbo FB25B, and unfortunately, KYB quick struts are not available at this time. There are no other quick struts for the SJ that are worth buying, only crap Chinese brands.

While I am aware of the coil spring recall, that would be moot with quick struts. Of course, if the springs need to be replaced, then the sensible option seems to be to get the new springs from the dealer since they're free as part of the recall, then install Bilstein. Do you think the dealer would be willing to swap the Bilstein shocks as part of the free recall? It's the same labor as putting a new spring on the old factory struts, so maybe they won't charge :sneaky:

If I can't get quick struts and need to whip out the spring compressor (which I don't have, so I'll have to get one), I am considering Bilstein.

Is there anything better than the Bilstein B6 for a daily driver? What kind of shocks do most people here use for OE replacement on a stock car?

Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't sell OEM quick struts. Honda and Ford actually sell OE quick struts at the dealer; hopefully Subaru and others will follow suit.
I replaced the OEM rear shocks with Bilstien B4s concurrent with the recall spring replacement. Dealer quoted about $40 to replace the shocks but in the end did not charge for it. The Bilstiens seem to control small movements better, but that may be confirmation bias on my part. Nevertheless, at 70,000 miles replacement was appropriate. I might replace the front shocks with B4s soon.
BTW, I don't consider the rear spring/shock combo a strut, just a shock mounted inside a coil spring.

GD

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
207 Posts
I used KYB Excel G struts as replacements on my 2010 Impreza. They were not any improvement over the oem struts with over 120,000 miles on them. I wished I had just got new Subaru struts instead.

I guess I expected more given the positive reviews on them. Having Koni's street struts on my neon, I guess I just got spoiled. It seems Bilsteins are the better choice from the comments in this thread.

Koni doesn't make bolt on struts for Subaru. 🙁

(I think they stopped making the ST.R struts for neons too, but that's understandable as the numbers are dwindling...)

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,492 Posts
I don't think there would be any point in getting quick struts other than for labor saving.
I have been meaning to change the struts on my 2011 and actually have front and rear Excel G and KYB top mounts sitting in my basement awaiting the day. However my originals passed inspection at a Subaru dealer 2 months ago and are not leaking. I also had the opportunity to feel the compression on used struts at a pick and pull yard where someone had taken the springs. With the compression and rebound test they felt just like the new ones, or pretty darn close. So much so that I realize there is no real rush to replace mine as I doubt they will improve the ride and handling much. The original Subie struts last a long time. That said mine have over 160,000 miles on them and I will probably replace them this fall as maintenance, but I don't expect them to change the handling much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts