Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to swap out my Headunit in my 15 xt for an Android Auto reciever
Looking for recommendations on brands or models to go with haven't gone with an aftermarket reciever in years and was always drawn to Sony or Alpine in the past
Just don't want something that is laggy

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,124 Posts
I just had a Sony XAV-AX5000 installed. See thread https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/infotainment-upgrade-2015-2-5i-premium-802437/

Very snappy and responsive, sounds great, AA works perfectly so far (not an Apple guy). Simple, not a ton of features, but everything we wanted and easy for non tech family members to use. Primary reason for choice, however, was its two USB ports, since we like to keep a music-filled thumb drive permanently connected.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Looks like a nice install!
Does this one do Android Auto via USB or BT ?
Wireless AA is rare at this price level. No unit I considered had it. BTW, wireless does not use BT for the AA connection; the bandwidth is insufficient. Instead, it uses wifi, so obviously needs a HU that creates a wifi hotspot. That’s going to be the next price level up from this Sony, but shop around. (Also, I decided early on that the key to flawless AA was wired USB with a short, high-quality cable. So far that’s been borne out. YMMV.)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT cvt
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, my 15 has the pre starlink Harmon cardon gps system. It's not bad , better than the base starlink system but still not great . Especially the gps

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Are you guys not using Starlink?
Right, the ‘14 and ‘15 were the last to not have a touch-screen system in the lower trims. Essentially, they carried over the old-school Clarion head units from the previous generation.

From everything I’ve seen and read, though, these newer aftermarket head units outperform anything Subaru has ever installed in a car, even the optional HK units. Subaru has actually developed a notable reputation for having substandard infotainment systems.
@will.vangelderen, I didn’t realize you had the optional HK in your XT. That will be a little more complicated to replace than my Clarion was, but I’d still go for it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
@bakcn We ran both USB cables (which come directly from the back of the Sony) through the cubby below the center stack; there's apparently already an opening there. Before cleanup and in the harsh light of a flash, it looked as shown below.

We chose this (1) to avoid needing a USB extension, which often compromises Android Auto; (2) to make USB 2 easily accessible for use with a thumb drive; (3) because our glove box (which the installer wanted to use for USB 2) is usually full of junk.

Tucked in and cleaned up, this location is neat and handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts