Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They wanted to charge me $200 just for the diagnostic right out of the bat, even thought my compressor serial number and VIN number falls in the TSB.

Has anyone dealt with the dealership or SOA about the replacement of the faulty compressor that it's been called out by the TSB 10-84-16r?

I would like to hear your experience with the dealership or SOA, will they cover the replacement if the car is out of warranty?

Thanks in advance for any comments in this regards.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,645 Posts
They wanted to charge me $200 just for the diagnostic right out of the bat, even thought my compressor serial number and VIN number falls in the TSB.

Has anyone dealt with the dealership or SOA about the replacement of the faulty compressor that it's been called out by the TSB 10-84-16r?

I would like to hear your experience with the dealership or SOA, will they cover the replacement if the car is out of warranty?

Thanks in advance for any comments in this regards.
What does the TSB say? To me TSB does not imply warranty of any kind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,346 Posts
My 2015 Forester had its compressor replaced after I showed the dealership the TSB in which my vin was identified.

My ac was not blowing cold and after an email exchange with SOA and speaking with the service manager, they relented and Subaru offered a goodwill replacement of the compressor. Brand new model.

I got very lucky. My ac is now ice cold. I do have a 100k mile warranty and the ac was covered. My bill was $0.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto-4-spd
29 Posts
Theseus161...was your Forester out of warranty, when they replaced it?

Thanks

My 2015 Forester had its compressor replaced after I showed the dealership the TSB in which my vin was identified.

My ac was not blowing cold and after an email exchange with SOA and speaking with the service manager, they relented and Subaru offered a goodwill replacement of the compressor. Brand new model.

I got very lucky. My ac is now ice cold. I do have a 100k mile warranty and the ac was covered. My bill was $0.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Theseus161...was your Forester out of warranty, when they replaced it?

Thanks
Yes. The 3/36 SOA warranty was up but I have an extended warranty from dealership for 100K/5 years.
SOA worked with the dealership to replace the Ac. Not sure who paid what %. All I know is that my dealer tried to tell me at first that it was cold enough. It certainly was not. They kept the car for 3 days but I got a new updated compressor, new part number with zero deductible. No loaner, just an Uber but well worth the hassle. COmpressor replacement is very $$$. Nice and cold now. 1 year later and no issues. Super cold air. If SOA didn't step in, I'm not sure how this would have gone down. The dealer was fighting me for days until I contacted SOA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the TSB say? To me TSB does not imply warranty of any kind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For my understanding, Suabru have pin pointed the cause of AC problems failure due to the AC compressor/clutch system on few models of the Subaru ranging from 2014 to 2016. Here is a quote of the intro part of the TSB.

Quoted from the TSB:
"Introduction:
This bulletin announces the availability of a new Air Conditioning compressor / clutch assembly
to address customer concerns of the system not operating. Electrical windings located inside the
clutch assembly have been changed to eliminate the condition. The service procedure will involve
replacement of the A/C compressor and clutch as a complete assembly."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Theseus161,
did the dealership make you paid for the AC diagnosis first or it was covered by the warranty. I don't have the extended warranty and the dealership wanted to charge me for the diagnosis even though they confirmed the compressor/clutch system match the TSB.

It seems per the TSB as long as you have the extended warranty it shouldn't be an issue to get it replace at not cost. Could you share how was your interaction with SOA. Did you have a hard time to get asistance from SOA.

The dealership I went to was no help at all, they just wanted to charge me the AC diagnosis fee and they didn't care about the TSB at all.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was not charged for a diagnosis. It’s apparent that it was not blowing cold air even on highest setting. I showed the dealership a copy of the TSB.

I emailed SOA and they told me that my VIN did fall under the tsb compressor fail. I don’t know what would’ve happened if I didn’t have the extended warranty. I wish you luck.
keep writing to SOA. They should goodwill your repair. Document the temp with photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was not charged for a diagnosis. It’s apparent that it was not blowing cold air even on highest setting. I showed the dealership a copy of the TSB.

I emailed SOA and they told me that my VIN did fall under the tsb compressor fail. I don’t know what would’ve happened if I didn’t have the extended warranty. I wish you luck.
keep writing to SOA. They should goodwill your repair. Document the temp with photos.
I hope SOA will end up helping me out since they know they have installed a faulty compressor/clutch system per the TSB, and my VIN number falls under the TSB. Thanks for sharing your experience with the dealership and SOA.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
41 Posts
I hope SOA will end up helping me out since they know they have installed a faulty compressor/clutch system per the TSB, and my VIN number falls under the TSB. Thanks for sharing your experience with the dealership and SOA.
How did it go with dealer/SOA? Thx!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,360 Posts
@ges74 HC2015 has not been seen here for 9 months
Does the Subaru AC system self-healing correction have the same gestation period as typical human embryo?
If so, maybe he/she will be back any day now.
Probably not.
The point never answered that I assume @ges74 was asking about, was did the TSB allow the poster apparently no longer with us to get a free repair. The answer should be no.
A Tech Service bulletin is primarily an advisement to the techs on how to modify their repairs or what to look for in the course of diagnosing a problem, and how to correct it.
It has nothing to do with how a repair is paid for. It has nothing to do with warranty coverage, nor does its issuance entitle anyone to a free repair.

In the case of @Theseus161 the repair wasn't covered because there was a TSB,, but because the car was covered by an extended warranty. The fact that he dealer was giving him/her a problem would lead me to go elsewhere, as it doesn't matter why a car with a warranty has a problem if something like the AC isn't working.

If your car isn't under warranty, the only repairs that would be covered would be safety recalls(e.g. Takata Airbags), agreements reached to settle a lawsuit (e.g. class action excessive oil use) or as a result of or extensions to a warranty made by Subaru (e.g. 10 year/100K CVT warranty).
Otherwise you are :poop: out of luck.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,360 Posts
@ges74
Do you know what is actually wrong with your car?
You never mentioned anything about that.
Assuming (a stretch at this point, as there are LOTS of different problems that can make AC misbehave) that the problem is related to the AC compressor and/or clutch (I'm not familiar with this specific TSB) , you can price the parts needed online.
See if you can get a copy of the TSB, which should outline both the repair and components.
Shop around.
Dealers are usually (always?) the most expensive places to have work done, and most shops can work on the AC system.
A compressor on a Subaru isn't difficult to replace, but will also require recharge of the system.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
41 Posts
@ges74
Do you know what is actually wrong with your car?
You never mentioned anything about that.
Assuming (a stretch at this point, as there are LOTS of different problems that can make AC misbehave) that the problem is related to the AC compressor and/or clutch (I'm not familiar with this specific TSB) , you can price the parts needed online.
See if you can get a copy of the TSB, which should outline both the repair and components.
Shop around.
Dealers are usually (always?) the most expensive places to have work done, and most shops can work on the AC system.
A compressor on a Subaru isn't difficult to replace, but will also require recharge of the system.
Nope, no idea. Here is my summary of my bizarre-o experience from yesterday: ('14-'18) - Intermittent AC on 2015 -...
ANY thoughts are welcome, I am in disbelief.

BTW, are kits to self-charge like A/C Pro good? or should I suck it up and pay $200 to have a mechanic do it?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
41 Posts
Thanks for your reply on the other thread. BTW...never hurts to ask...Subaru just extended me a $350 goodwill coupon for parts and services. That was worth a phone call.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts