Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only owned my XT for 1 week and these lights have come on. The first time I turned it off and on and they went away and last night they stayed on and were off again by morning. I'm worried the dealership might have just cleared the codes for delivery maybe? Does anyone have an idea or advice? It's awkward because it was my friend who owns the dealership so I do want to know a little bit of what I'm talking about before I bring it up to him. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Seems they use that combo for to cover things other than the “check engine light” so it may be nearly anything other than the motor.

I recently had the same set of lights and it ended up being a faulty brake light switch (at the pedal)

Mine is too.

You can check here using search, but I believe the brake switch is a pretty common failure point. Mine was fixed under warranty. Question though - did you check and/or change any light bulbs? My son just reminded me he had the same issue with a simple burned out bulb on his 17’ Impreza. You may get lucky.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,851 Posts
@bluesox68 take a look at this thread:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: bluesox68

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is too.

You can check here using search, but I believe the brake switch is a pretty common failure point. Mine was fixed under warranty. Question though - did you check and/or change any light bulbs? My son just reminded me he had the same issue with a simple burned out bulb on his 17’ Impreza. You may get lucky.

Good luck!

I actually just added LED lights over the license plate frame! Could that be it? The dealership said they will take care of it when I bring it in.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@bluesox68 take a look at this thread:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
Thanks for showing me this. I do plan on converting all interior and reverse lights to led's and even installing DRL's so I hope that won't make my dash go crazy!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,426 Posts
You could return the lights you just changed back to stock just to see if that's the problem. I know there are a bunch of "brake light switch" problems that have caused what you're seeing.

Since LEDs seem to cause some pretty strange problems at times, I would take it one step at a time and make sure your car is okay with what you just replaced. Then go on with the next replacement, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
1915 Forester Limited
1 Posts
About a year ago, I had the same 3 lights (ABS, VDC, & Hill Hold) come on I checked the master cylinder and it was at min so I filled it to full and the lights were out so I assumed that was the problem (silly me). A few months later it went on and off again. This past weekend when I was 100 miles from home it acted up again but this time the brake lights didn't work and I could not shift out of park. Occasionally it would seem ok and allow me to shift into D and I was able to get home. Contacted the dealer for the brake light switch recall and problem solved under warranty. So far, so good

·
Registered
15 Posts
The same lights are coming on with my 2015 Forester. Dealer replaced the brake light switch as a factory recall on Feb. 20, 2020, just before I bought the vehicle. Took it back to the dealer, they told me I needed a $600.00 transmission fluid change, problem solved for a month, lights came back on, they then replaced a sensor another $172.00. Good for a month lights are back on. Dealer is now saying its a sticking valve, probably caused by the previously dirty fluid, and possibly a faulty wiring harness. $2,200 for the valve and $436 for the wiring harness. In less than $6 months after purchasing the vehicle That's almost 1/3 of what I paid for it. Has anyone else had similar issues, or has anyone had the brake switch replaced to find out the new one was faulty as well?

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
569 Posts
trans should have a 100k 10 year warranty in the US. if its still valid tell them to cover under the extended warranty If they refuse call SOA

·
Registered
15 Posts
@numskull50 10 Year 160,000 Km in Canada, mileage was at 177,000 KM when I purchased it. The service manager has told me that Subaru has honored warranty beyond the mileage dates before, but there is no guaranty that they will. My concern is that they BELIEVE they know what the problem is.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue solved by brake light stop switch. Give it a shot covered by Subie and takes them 20 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Ron They told me this has already been done before I purchased the vehicle.

For those that have the brake light switch problem. Were the lights on continuously or intermittent? The issue with my Forester, is the lights might only come on once every 2 or 3 weeks, and they will stay on for 4 or 5 starts of the vehicle and then they will clear for another couple of weeks or so. Subaru mechanic says it's throwing a code for the Torque converter.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
569 Posts
I went through brake light switches every other year or so in my old impreza. Road salt likes to eat up the electrical connection. Sometimes it just needed to be adjusted. subaru should be able to scan other other body modules and find the faulty sensor. Unfortunaly most dealer are just parts jockeys and replace part rather then fully diagnose and repair the faulty part. There is an common issue with a transmission solenoid and you can buy just the solenoid for ~100 USD. Subaru only sells the solinoid in a full valve body assembly last I checked which is why its so expensive. You can ask if they can just replace the solinoid rather than the whole valve assembly if they actually think that will fix your problem. Its too bad if it doesn't you shouldn't have to pay.... for their misdiagnosis.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,767 Posts
If the recall was performed, it may be that the switch is defective OR that it's just misaligned. That happened to me a few months after I had the recall done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealership got back to me yesterday and they believe it is a pressure valve and possibly a harness that are causing the problems. Then I just about lost it on them when the service person at the front desk added and if there are metal filings in the fluid when they drain it, the CVT will need to be replaced. They just replaced the fluid in June at a hit of $600. No way I'm paying $10,000 fr a new transmission in a used vehicle I paid $13,000 for 6 months ago.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,767 Posts
This sounds like a true case of a "stealership" trying to rip you off.

Have them look at the brake light switch again. if they won't find another dealer that will. While I know that sometimes it is a gamble and other times there is no other close dealer but it truly sounds like this dealer is ripping you off. I'd suggest a call to Subaru of Canada customer service and have a discussion (not an argument or debate) with them about this issue. While you bought the vehicle 2nd hand, you may still have some ability to get some answers from SOC on this issue.

As I mentioned, I had the brake light switch recall done and a few months later had all the lights show up and they checked the switch and it was out of alignment and they reinstalled and presto it was all good and has not created any issues since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This sounds like a true case of a "stealership" trying to rip you off.

Have them look at the brake light switch again. if they won't find another dealer that will. While I know that sometimes it is a gamble and other times there is no other close dealer but it truly sounds like this dealer is ripping you off. I'd suggest a call to Subaru of Canada customer service and have a discussion (not an argument or debate) with them about this issue. While you bought the vehicle 2nd hand, you may still have some ability to get some answers from SOC on this issue.

As I mentioned, I had the brake light switch recall done and a few months later had all the lights show up and they checked the switch and it was out of alignment and they reinstalled and presto it was all good and has not created any issues since.
$1900 later for the valve in the transmission, lights stayed off for exactly one week and are back on again. The staff at the dealership are actually trying to be extremely accommodating. They gave me free 2020 outback to drive around the entire time they serviced it, and went back and forth between the dealership and Subaru Canada trying to get them to cover the repair costs. Sub Canada said I was SOL in that area, the dealership did the work at wholesale cost, which as still far to expensive, and they had my vehicle for 12 days. I'll be going back in to see them again this morning, and I doubt they are going to be too happy because they were absolutely sure that they found the problem. If they suggest a $10K transmission replacement I will lose it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the AT-Oil temperature light come on for any of you when the brake light switch acts up? This is a common occurrence with my vehicle. Everything runs fine, I slow down or stop on the highway to make a turn onto another road and the lights trip while I'm accelerating to highway speed. The common denominator is it only happens while accelerating on the highway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts