Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 Foresters, 2 - 2015 and 1 2014. Noticed a valve tapping on driver side on the 2015 with 70K miles, from idle to few thousand rpms. Higher speeds it appears to go away.
I want to adjust the valves. Any tips, suggestions, Ideas? I have new valve cover gaskets, spark plugs ready to install.
Car gets 30 mpg and runs very well.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
827 Posts
The procedure is shown in the Haynes manual. $16. DOHC FB25 engines must be removed to adjust valves. A lot of work including ac evac. Not a typical diy job without proper tools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pony up for the technical service manual.

Subaru Tech Information System
The procedure is shown in the Haynes manual. $16. DOHC FB25 engines must be removed to adjust valves. A lot of work including ac evac. Not a typical diy job without proper tools.
To the the 2 gentlemen that replied - You 100% made my day. I researched further based on your input and this is simply too much work, I agree - not a regular DIY project. Engine pull? NO WAY - no time for that. Thank god you both replied and scared me straight. (dating myself). Now I just need to sort our why - out of no where, the tapping has started?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the the 2 gentlemen that replied - You 100% made my day. I researched further based on your input and this is simply too much work, I agree - not a regular DIY project. Engine pull? NO WAY - no time for that. Thank god you both replied and scared me straight. (dating myself). Now I just need to sort our why - out of no where, the tapping has started?
Could the problem be the oil is just too thin? I change it myself every 6000 miles. Different synthetic brands. But I found some brands are thinner then others even if it states 0W20.
Current oil is about 6500 miles, and needed 1 quart as I checked for issues once the noise started. Perhaps the oil is too thin????? thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fairly religious, Full synthetic, and Subby oil filter. every 5000 to 6500 miles. Most oil loss is about 1 quart maximum per 2000 miles and refilled to top FULL again.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
That is more than Suby allows. I would call SOA and inquire about an oil usage test by the dealer.

If memory serves,any more than a quart in 3500 miles is excessive and warrants coverage by Subiroo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another great tip. I looked it up and the car for oil consumption is covered 8 years 100000 miles. I will have them do oil test and check noise maybe it will be warranted. Super useful info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here is the update. Did not try the valve adjustment. I did review service manual and it’s completely insane. So brought my car to dealer. $4500.00 later I own a new short block. No warranty from Subaru. 70K
miles 5 yearold car - Cmon what are we fools? These cars are timebombs. I think I am getting rid of them. I own 3. I am never doing this again. Engine went bad. horse poo. The bearings have poor oiling and they go bad - bad design through and through. New short block runs good and super quiet. I’ll run this car another 30k then sell it. Too risky. Subaru is living off a reputation of 20 years ago. The last 7 have bad parts.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Well here is the update. Did not try the valve adjustment. I did review service manual and it’s completely insane. So brought my car to dealer. $4500.00 later I own a new short block. No warranty from Subaru. 70K
miles 5 yearold car - Cmon what are we fools? These cars are timebombs. I think I am getting rid of them. I own 3. I am never doing this again. Engine went bad. horse poo. The bearings have poor oiling and they go bad - bad design through and through. New short block runs good and super quiet. I’ll run this car another 30k then sell it. Too risky. Subaru is living off a reputation of 20 years ago. The last 7 have bad parts.
I am truly sorry about your troubles and can relate.

We've owned at least one over the last three decades but recently stopped being a Subifan because encountering issues similar to what you mentioned. Not that I'm any kind of expert on these cars but have maintained them myself successfully without dealership involvement. You name it, I've done it - but one shouldn't have to do it as early as seems to consistently be the case now. They make serious money off of the repairs that shouldn't happen.

As such, the ones we own are likely our last Subarus as well.
After seeing the Ascend two years ago at the NYC auto show at the Javitt center, we were thinking of buying one but bought a CRV instead. Once the older 09 needs replacing, we'll get a Pilot. The CrossTrek will likely become a Toyota.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts