Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm suddenly having an issue with my 2015 Forester. A few days ago, while I was driving I had 3 warning lights turn on simultaneously: ABS, Vehicle stability control, Hill Assist. :surprise: No noticeable change in driving. They came on sporadically for the next couple of days, and are now coming on shortly after starting the vehicle. This morning, I stopped at Dunkin and when I restarted my vehicle they instantly came on and I could not shift the vehicle out of park. I waited about 15 seconds, and then it released and I was able to shift to Reverse.

Probably not related, but the first time the lights came on was just a few mins after my windshield wiper fluid warning came on (I'm pretty sure it is a correct indicator as I've used a lot of fluid over the past several weeks). I haven't gotten a chance to refill yet.

Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
It is a warning there is an issue with your car other than engine related.

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a failure of the brake switch at the pedal. A fairly common issue on your year model. Not terribly expensive to fix.

·
Registered
2013 forester diesel 2.0
2 Posts
Had the same issue a few years ago. It was a faulty relay in the brake electrics. Approx $120 bill at the auto electricians.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
124 Posts
I have seen similar symptoms on a Hyundai where the problem turned out to be the brake light switch at the brake pedal. Fairly inexpensive part.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lmtd CVT
25 Posts
Same issue on my wife's '15 Forester. Was the brake switch. $13.80 at Amazon. Search for Genuine Subaru 83311FJ001 Switch - Stop Lamp for Bulb, 1 Pack or $25 bucks at my local Subaru dealer. They are usually in stock. Plenty of Youtube videos on locating, replacing and adjusting the switch too. You can do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 and I had the same three lights come and I had the brake light switch changed and two weeks later the lights came back on🥴. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT 2.0
7 Posts
@Luann I had the same thing happen too, those three light, then replaced the brake light switch then two months later same three lights. took it to the dealership and this time it was the front o2 sensor. I believe this is what Subaru used to call "limp home mode". It disables the features related to the warning lights as well as cruise control and sport select mode(if installed). once I replaced the o2 sensor and reset the codes all was well. I'm sure it goes into that mode for a myriad of reasons just to protect systems from damage and to help assure you know you need to get it fixed asap. You can reset the codes but then subaru wont be able to tell you what is wrong with your car until it goes into that mode again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There has been a recall for brake light switches on a lot of Subarus, my 2015 Forester was one of them as was my mums' older XV. Have your local dealer check your VIN, could be a freebie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts